£5 NLHE STT Turbo: Would you call this Fish?

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Here is a hand I played live last week (STT, live 15min levels), guy to my left is a huge fish, the strange thing is he's an agro-fish and a passive-fish - sometimes he'll just sit there and call with about any two cards and sometimes he'll make huge bets with air. The whole table knows he's a fish and he openly admits he'll play just about any two suited cards...

So I get into a hand with him where he makes a shove and I have quite a few outs (2 over-cards and a flush draw), I put him on a huge range but had no significant reads on him. I have played with this guy plenty of times and know that he lives up to his image...

My question - when he shoves can we call?

Thanks

Live pub poker game, 15min levels, blinds 50/100 (Level 2) - 25 mins into game
Seat 1: Seat 1 ($1750)
Seat 2: Seat 2 ($1750)
Seat 3: Seat 3 ($1000)
Seat 4: Hero ($1700)
Seat 5: Huge Fish (Villain) ($1700)
Seat 6: Seat 6 ($2500)
Seat 7: Seat 7 ($3100)
Seat 8: Seat 8 ($2500)
Seat 9: Button ($2000)
Seat 1 posts the small blind of $50
Seat 2 posts the big blind of $100
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ah Qh]
Seat 3 folds
Hero raises to $300
Huge Fish (Villain) calls $300
Seat 6 folds
Seat 7 folds
Seat 8 folds
Button calls $300
Seat 1 folds
Seat 2 folds
*** FLOP *** [7h 3c 5h]
Hero checks
Huge Fish (Villain) bets $1400 and is all-in
Seat 9 folds
Hero???

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why are we checking this flop 'unless' its with the intention of check-raising allin?
If I think villain is going to be betting when checked too... I would check flop with intentions of crai.
If I think villain will make some spazz play over a small cbet.. then i will make a small'ish'/inducing cbet in hopes that villain does something like they've done here.

Generally though >
You have perfect stack size(s) to crai on this flop!

In this hand we've opted to just check (not sure why?). Villain spazzes out. I'm calling this 100% of the time. (doubt he's EVER doing this with sets or flopped straights.. right?)

note: I didn't notice that BTN had also called preflop. Only thing that changes is that my chips are going into the middle even faster than above, lol.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WOW, your hand is totally a bluff catcher....

depends on your read, do you have a large sample size of hand history of him....?

if you think he mostly is bluffing you out, then call, if he is push like some pair for showdown value, you are waiting 6 outs /[or even draw dead to set....] for help, I would fold....

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we're not bluff catching?

we have overs + FD.. and he's doing with worse draws and weak hands, please call here

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's a big a fish you say, he has a hand. He will show up with 46, 75, 53 and a bigish over pair. Maybe A7 or trips. I'd look for a better spot to get it in.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call 100% of the time here. MAYBE he has a pair. Chances are he flatted u pre with Ax or something like that. He might have something like A 10 and and Just jam the low board to get u off of ur hand. CALL. PLEASE. I think in your worst case scenario u need a heart. Best case scenario you already have him dominated and he needs to catch. If he's as Spewy as u make him out to be, he probably has a pair or air. I can't fold here ever

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

depends on your read, do you have a large sample size of hand history of him....?

if you think he mostly is bluffing you out, then call, if he is push like some pair for showdown value, you are waiting 6 outs /[or even draw dead to set....] for help, I would fold....
Sorry but this is terrible analysis. How do you figure HERO only has 6 outs?
How would a hand as strong as this ever be considered as a 'bluff catcher'?
If villain is 'pushing some pair'... you are essentially flipping vs. them & with the HUGE amount of deadmoney in the middle, this is a call a MILLION % of the time here.
Look at the stack sizes! Look at the size of the pot in relation to the stack sizes!
Only way I'm ever checking this flop is in hopes of villain leading out so I can crai (CHECK-RAISE ALLIN).
Instead, villain shoves. Doubt this is ever a set (think about it... why would villain EVER shove here after HERO has checked flop & shown weakness???).

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are we checking this flop 'unless' its with the intention of check-raising allin?
If I think villain is going to be betting when checked too... I would check flop with intentions of crai.
If I think villain will make some spazz play over a small cbet.. then i will make a small'ish'/inducing cbet in hopes that villain does something like they've done here.

Generally though >
You have perfect stack size(s) to crai on this flop!

In this hand we've opted to just check (not sure why?). Villain spazzes out. I'm calling this 100% of the time. (doubt he's EVER doing this with sets or flopped straights.. right?)

note: I didn't notice that BTN had also called preflop. Only thing that changes is that my chips are going into the middle even faster than above, lol.

Many thanks for all the comments on this hand, to answer one of the questions I didn't have a "read" on him but I do have a lot of history with the guy and I know he's a big fish, he's one of these people who will say "but they were suited, I had to play them"...

I checked here because I didn't realize the equity I had (I've just run some simulations and I come out as a big favorite) - I'll bear this in mind for my future plays...

Once again, thanks for all the comments

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

:D:D:D

I did not notice there is a nut flush draw here!

If u against big fish only, I would 100% call here!

then if u and fish, with a potential button....err, I would.....err

u know it is tournament table, not cash table, if cash table on this stack size , I 100% call equity.

but tournament table....do you willing to gamble with draws or over pair draws or like to catch bluff? or want to save chips for a better spot, meaning Hero shove than hero call???

still, I would see the table dyanamic to decide...

and there is not right or wrong, but ....u need to know how will u going to play this hand.....;)

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry but this is terrible analysis. How do you figure HERO only has 6 outs?
How would a hand as strong as this ever be considered as a 'bluff catcher'?
If villain is 'pushing some pair'... you are essentially flipping vs. them & with the HUGE amount of deadmoney in the middle, this is a call a MILLION % of the time here.
Look at the stack sizes! Look at the size of the pot in relation to the stack sizes!
Only way I'm ever checking this flop is in hopes of villain leading out so I can crai (CHECK-RAISE ALLIN).
Instead, villain shoves. Doubt this is ever a set (think about it... why would villain EVER shove here after HERO has checked flop & shown weakness???).

Yes, sorry I did not notice there is a nut flush draw....

sigh...:p...

but, I am not behind 100% call all in!

the question is that , it is much better to bet flop than to call all in. with ur draw.

cos, all in , you have fold equity, but call all in is not risk-free.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stacks are already a little short and it's effectively a turbo structure, plus we've got nut outs AND there's a good chance that we're even ahead at the moment. I'm absolutely calling this.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, sorry I did not notice there is a nut flush draw....

sigh...:p...

but, I am not behind 100% call all in!

the question is that , it is much better to bet flop than to call all in. with ur draw.

cos, all in , you have fold equity, but call all in is not risk-free.
Do you want me to type out the math on this for you? (I will if you ask)
btw, the question here isn't whether or not it is better to bet flop than to call allin.... are you betting flop & then EVER considering folding if villain shoves?

If anything (depending on player reads) the question is whether to bet with intentions of calling it off.. 'or' check-raising allin.

R

RealityCheck123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure, but as others said, I agree that I call here 100% of time aswell, I think at best he's got that 1 pair...

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you want me to type out the math on this for you? (I will if you ask)
btw, the question here isn't whether or not it is better to bet flop than to call allin.... are you betting flop & then EVER considering folding if villain shoves?

If anything (depending on player reads) the question is whether to bet with intentions of calling it off.. 'or' check-raising allin.
On this: anybody feel like bet/calling >>> crai?