£5 NLHE STT: Raise too big on River?

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
I'm a beginner so any help on this hand would be great - once I'd raised on the river I thought immediately it might have been too big and I should have played it somewhere around 50% - what do you think?

It's a live table so I'm afraid the stack sizes are estimates

STT - mostly TAG left, 1 fishy LAG in seat 2
Most players better than me
No significant reads on anyone

Seat 1: Seat 1 ($4200)
Seat 2: Seat 2 ($6000)
Seat 3: Hero ($4800)
Seat 4: Seat 4 ($9000)
Seat 5: Seat 5 ($7200)
Seat 2 posts the small blind of $300
Hero posts the big blind of $600
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ks 7d]
Seat 4 calls $600
Seat 5 calls $600
Seat 1 calls $600
Seat 2 folds
Hero checks
*** FLOP *** [Qd Jc 10s]
Hero checks
Seat 4 checks
Seat 5 checks
Seat 1 checks
*** TURN *** [Qd Jc 10s] 3♦
Hero checks
Seat 4 checks
Seat 5 checks
Seat 1 checks
*** RIVER *** [Qd Jc 10s 3d] 9♣
Hero bets $1800 (66% pot)
Seat 4 folds
Seat 5 folds
Seat 1 folds
Seat 1 shows [?8?] (Said- "I had an 8, but I can't risk he's got the K")
Hero wins the pot ($4800)

Any input very welcome
DrSparky

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on stack sizes and blind sizes you had under 10 times the big blind which normally puts a person in the shove mode...so anything less they are fortunate IMO...

D

DeadlyAim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You doubled up can't get any easier. I would of min bet on the turn... if there showing weakeness by betting. But u did alright sometimes u don't got a good read. U doubled up its a win.

If the bb are about 1/10 ur stack u want to only play premium hands and hope to win a few bb ur force to play.

If its live... quick sudden checks should alert u of weakness work on reading players. I play mostly online but need to improve dat department. Maybe u had a tell but any good player would fold the dumb man's straight 4 handed... fyi.

I like how u checked but ur first to act and u scared off ur victims 3x bb is standard bet to get others to fold. U want a value bb I would of min bet bb or even trap with a check. If u check down 8 might min bet and u can min bet over the top. U scared them off with 66% pot raise.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This whole hand is fine, river sizing is fine.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah - if he's going to fold an eight for 1800 there then he's probably folding it to anything other than the piddliest of tiny bets so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bet sizing is probably fine, though if your villains really are mostly TAGs then you're not going to get many calls anyway as everybody's short and will be risk averse. Still worth trying though for the occasional donkey that'll call you with Jx thinking you're trying to steal the pot or something.