$5 NLHE STT: Pocket 9s faces all in?

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm In chip Lead, Villain is solid but uses his position very well.
Easy fold? 10 players top 3 get paid

iPoker - $5+$0.50|<> NL - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com
CO: 180.00
BTN: 4,150.00
SB: 2,150.00
Hero (BB): 5,400.00
UTG: 3,120.00
SB posts SB 200.00, Hero posts BB 400.00
Pre Flop: (600.00) Hero has 9s 9c
fold, fold, BTN raises to 4,150.00, fold, fold
Hero???

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm absolutely mashing the call button.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm absolutely mashing the call button.

Yea.

Wizz will prob be around tomorrow with other stuff, but its not the bubble and he will be prob shoving all sorts of random stuff, but not the big hands.

TBH he is prob a fish that hates JJ.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm In chip Lead, Villain is solid but uses his position very well.
Easy fold? 10 players top 3 get paid

iPoker - $5+$0.50|<> NL - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com
CO: 180.00
BTN: 4,150.00
SB: 2,150.00
Hero (BB): 5,400.00
UTG: 3,120.00
SB posts SB 200.00, Hero posts BB 400.00
Pre Flop: (600.00) Hero has 9s 9c
fold, fold, BTN raises to 4,150.00, fold, fold
Hero???

He's shoving really wide with 10bb. This is a snap call with pocket 99's

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with co so short this is basically the bubble. If it's the bubble now, does that change anyones opinions?

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stacks have become too shallow for me to fold 99 here even on the actual bubble.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it isn't about how shallow your stack is, it's all about equity. Or how your stack relates to those around you.

This is a call for me as well by the way, but it's certainly a hell of a lot closer than what is said above. Either way, we're probably not making too much money on a call here. The risk/reward here is really high for both, but i think it's worth it considering the button is probably quite wide and if we win we're likely going to be able to get 1st place a lot.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's kind of a gross spot but
if we win we're likely going to be able to get 1st place a lot.

SNGwiz and the like probably underrate the value of having like 9500 chips here.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
instacall

your almost never dominated although it is likely a flip where you are ahead, win the hand and probably win the tourney. The times you hold and take 1st make up for the times you lose it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yah, far from a 'snapcall' imo. And as mentioned above, reason I'd sway towards call is the increased likelihood of taking 1st if we win the hand.
tbh though, I probably lean towards a fold while faced with this spot & 15secs. to act on the decision. (it may not be the 'right' decision, but it's what I think I might do in that spot).

I think what some others might fail to consider is > we fold here & are still CL & have 2 other SS's with 4 & 6bb's so we're apt to have spots where we can abuse a bit here during bubble play. The equity we lose when we call & lose the hand is obviously Massive! One needs to compare this to the equity we gain by having a huge chiplead with increased % of chance we're taking 1st in the game. So we weight this up vs. > folding & still being CL with 2 SS's in bubble situation (not counting player with <1bb). So because of this for me it makes it extremely close!

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yah, far from a 'snapcall' imo. And as mentioned above, reason I'd sway towards call is the increased likelihood of taking 1st if we win the hand.
tbh though, I probably lean towards a fold while faced with this spot & 15secs. to act on the decision. (it may not be the 'right' decision, but it's what I think I might do in that spot).

I think what some others might fail to consider is > we fold here & are still CL & have 2 other SS's with 4 & 6bb's so we're apt to have spots where we can abuse a bit here during bubble play. The equity we lose when we call & lose the hand is obviously Massive! One needs to compare this to the equity we gain by having a huge chiplead with increased % of chance we're taking 1st in the game. So we weight this up vs. > folding & still being CL with 2 SS's in bubble situation (not counting player with <1bb). So because of this for me it makes it extremely close!
^^^This^^^
I have been in similar situations where opponent turns over a PP higher than what I'm holding or flipping and losing.
I feel I have lost more than I have won in this situation and would lean more to folding as to not risk severely crippling myself.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What range are you giving him that makes you want to fold? I weighed up ICM factors in my orginal answer and I stand by it. I don't think it's as close as people are making out, it's not fistpump time but I'm still pretty happy calling and not really thinking too much.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not a slam dunk, but I've gotta call with 99 here. Given our read that villain is solid and uses position well, he should be shoving plenty wide here.

Plus the value of going to the bubble with 9500 chips vs two medium stacks and a 0.5BB micro stack is just sooooooo freaking sweet when we win.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it isn't about how shallow your stack is, it's all about equity. Or how your stack relates to those around you.

This is a call for me as well by the way, but it's certainly a hell of a lot closer than what is said above. Either way, we're probably not making too much money on a call here. The risk/reward here is really high for both, but i think it's worth it considering the button is probably quite wide and if we win we're likely going to be able to get 1st place a lot.
This
It's kind of a gross spot but

SNGwiz and the like probably underrate the value of having like 9500 chips here.

and this.

Tought spot, but 99 is bottom of my calling range tbh. By no means a snap call. The only reason i'm calling this wide is the 9500 will almost guarantee first place.