$5 NLHE STT: The first hand is the last hand

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that we only start with 25BB, and its a shorthanded game, I dont see, how we can get away from top pair good kicker here. The only thing, I would do different, would be to get it in on the turn, since calling commits you to the pot anyway. 3-betting preflop would also be a reasonable option.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the structure there is here I would play differently than I normally would. Calling pre flop is fine but raising is also fine. My change compared to my norm would be post flop. In most situations I would be still a bot weary with top pair when I get potted into. Don't get me wrong I would be calling but I would be weary. In this setup I would have a different tune and as soon as I see I hit top pair I would be looking to get it in. Especially with two spades on the board and one potential overcard. Normally as I said I would be a little weary but also looking for value as well. In this format, imo, you cant risk it as much since you dont have as much to start with and neither does anyone else. You have to be more willing to go with lesser holdings so in this case I would raise flop which I wouldnt normally do. I would raise the flop with the intention of getting it all in as soon as I could. Also villains should be calling off here lighter anyway so I dont think we are losing as much value as we think we would be by raising instead playing the more standard way and just calling.

As played, the turn should be a jam cause at that point we are definitely going with the hand and if they have a six they have a six.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe 3 bet preflop. That short, certainly jam the flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some argue for raising the flop. As played with the non 3-bet preflop I prefer Heros line of just calling. The opponent bets full pot, which look a bit wild and frankly fishy. So I prefer to give him the rope to hang himself, as the old saying goes. It fact it was wild and fishy, since he was potting it with second pair. Unfortunately he then hit his 2-outer and drew out on us. This is always a bit annoying, but we need to remember, that poker is a long term game.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played, hero was just simply unlucky to be outflopped here. The one thing I find with these is you really want to assert yourself at a short-handed table. So I would be 3-betting far more often, which should cause your opponent to narrow their range against you. Then, when you have the chip lead, you can mix in some limps with bigger hands and hope one of your opponents has a hand like Jacks while you have Aces.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Given that we only start with 25BB, and its a shorthanded game, I dont see, how we can get away from top pair good kicker here. The only thing, I would do different, would be to get it in on the turn, since calling commits you to the pot anyway. 3-betting preflop would also be a reasonable option.

You couldn't give the guy credit for AQ?

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think, he can certainly have AQ. But he can also have many other hands, that we are ahead off.

Yes, but are you going to call a massive bet with one pair? You need to give people credit for better hands, even if like this bloke they play like demented fools.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, but are you going to call a massive bet with one pair?

Well yes. I am not going to fold top pair second kicker, when I only start with 25BB. That would be way to nitty, even though in this particular situation Hero was in fact behind on the turn. I think, Villain can easily have top pair with a worse kicker, or he can have a draw.

You need to give people credit for better hands, even if like this bloke they play like demented fools.

Then you end up folding way to much and often even to worse hands, that think, they are betting for value AKA "accidental value bluff". Like you fold, and then he proudly shows QT, which he think was the winning hand.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are at just a little bit of a disadvantage in that you have zero info on villain as it is the first hand. He did C bet the pot on the flop OOP and this is generally a fishy play (after that 2bb raise PF). I don't know that I would give him credit for one of the few hands that put him ahead. I don't think giving him some rope is the best play here as his flop bet is nearly 20% of your stack. At the very least I would get half of your stack in, at which point it makes more sense to jam. Having position is great, but I prefer to get it in and stack off the few times you run into KK, AQ, 33, etc.; and then force a fold or get paid the rest.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it well. I like just the call on the flop, unlucky he improved to trips on the turn. It's just a cooler in my opinion and you played it how you should have.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands