$5 NLHE STT: $$5 NLHE STT: $$5 NLHE STT: Mistake to call villain's preflop 3bet?

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NL HE STT: $$5 NL HE STT: $$5 NL HE STT: Mistake to call villain's preflop 3bet?

I was unsure what to do. He'd not been very tight but it was early enough that I didn't know that he was loose, either. I called his re-raise then felt I'd mistake when I saw the flop.

Also, I'm rethinking whether I should have invested so much with that preflop call when the blinds were still so low.

full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t30/t60 Blinds - 7 players - View hand 853202
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: t4130 68.83 BBs
BTN: t395 6.58 BBs
SB: t2530 42.17 BBs
BB: t2180 36.33 BBs
UTG: t1540 25.67 BBs
Hero (UTG+1): t1405 23.42 BBs
MP: t1320 22 BBs

Pre Flop: (t90) Hero is UTG+1 with Q
club.gif
A
club.gif

1 fold, Hero raises to t180, 4 folds, BB raises to t570, Hero calls t390

Flop: (t1170) 5
club.gif
spade.gif
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t1610 all in, Hero folds
progress.gif

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were short-stacked when he reraised you to 570, which is more than 1/3 of your stack. Your only option here is either shove or fold pre-flop. Only range of hands that has you dominated is AA/KK/QQ/AK. Every other hands, you're either ahead or coin-flipping. If the guy's been such a nit, I would consider folding. But since you mentioned that he's not tight, I would take this hand into war by going to the showdown and shove it in pre-flop.

*note. I'm only an experienced player upto $2 sngs. I have never grinded $5 sngs. I've played them but never grinded them.*

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's a loose player you should be shoving this if your undecided on something your better off just folding.

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLM, I wasn't short stack prior to my call. Do you mean that by calling I would be? This is why I think I should have folded, looking back afterward. My concern is being shy when facing aggression which skews my judgment, I think. It seems to me that I didn't need to get so involved so early in the tournament. But I'm not sure about it.

Rounder, this is a basic dilemma for me. When unsure, call? When unsure, fold? Maybe if I could get this straight, it would help my game.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, was this a $5 NL HE STT??? ;)

I thought you played cash now? Forget these loltourneys.

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I only played these tourneys up until a couple of months ago when I started trying cash tables. Almost exclusively cash, in fact, since then...trying to learn.

I played a couple of STTs this week just to boost my bankroll and spirits. This is where I have more experience...not to say I'm greatly experienced, by any means, but enough to stay even or earn a little along the way. I am staying with cash table endeavors, though, attempting to learn. Do you think it's a mistake to keep my hand in both at the same time?

Regardless of that...why do you say stay away from "lol tourneys"?

Aside from that...are you really lost in Nebraska? Cause I really am.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really in NB, no. That was from my foray into playing Omaha.

My feeling on what to play is this, you should stick with one game exclusively, especially while you are learning. There is a ton of difference between cash and tourneys and I think you're doing yourself a disservice trying to play both.

As for why I don't play tourneys? I like to reload when I go broke. :)

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure you're right. I'm trying hard to stick with the ring tables.

The reload thing really is working for me. Don't like the going broke part, though! :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Fold this preflop.

Fold> shove > call

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLM, I wasn't short stack prior to my call. Do you mean that by calling I would be? This is why I think I should have folded, looking back afterward. My concern is being shy when facing aggression which skews my judgment, I think. It seems to me that I didn't need to get so involved so early in the tournament. But I'm not sure about it.

Rounder, this is a basic dilemma for me. When unsure, call? When unsure, fold? Maybe if I could get this straight, it would help my game.

I meant, by calling, you become short-stacked while being pot-commited. Before calling, you're not. But when you call, you will be. This is just my opinion but I would've either shoved or fold depending on who my villain is. Although you had position on him, his reraise makes you committed if you call.