Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you find the reasons for this strange call

I've been playing tight.
BB has been playing aggro style for a while.

Now there is a raise, a reraise allin and a shove over the top. And he calls?

There are probably some "good" reasons behind his call. (probably funny ones too, like a misclick or something)

It doesn't help that I'm not running good in those situations.

Attachments

• Strange Call Hand 01.jpg
    Strange Call Hand 01.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 58
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No doubt the call is horrible. If he's not a Terribad player then maybe he needed to go? Or was bored? I have no idea

RajDev1979

RajDev1979

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with Jblocher1, i do it sometimes when i need to go or board, so chill

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't count out the possibility that he may have taken a bad beat on another table and got massively tilted too.

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when are many players raising and shoving is a good oportunity to play for flush or straight. the idiot was CO raising all in with A 10.

F

floridapoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a chance at beating hero. Isn't he legit or something?

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate those kind of players that call with weak hands and most of the times the hit something. Probably he was tilted or he is a fish.

dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends... i wouldnt say its horrible at all tho... i would lean toward, he knew what he was doing...

but you cant really tell off just a single hand... suited mid cards are excellent cards vs high cards in that situation...

but thats just my opinion

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
depends... i wouldnt say its horrible at all tho... i would lean toward, he knew what he was doing...

but you cant really tell off just a single hand... suited mid cards are excellent cards vs high cards in that situation...

but thats just my opinion
You'd actually lean towards believing that villain knew what he was doing?
Sounds like you're going to fall over imo.

N

nottoc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume the tournament had been running for a while as the antes had kicked in.

What was the action like prior to this? Were there a lot of all-ins?

I have played in some tournaments where players are prone to shove any ace and raise a reasonable amount with their strong pocket pairs. If he assumes you both have an ace, he is actually a slight favorite. That is a significant stretch to put two players on that range; however, I have certainly seen weirder things from opponents.

With that being said, I still think it is a very odd move. By any chance, was there a full moon that night?

Last edited:
Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think villain is a bad player, but he knows that he is bad. So he is willing to shove preflop since it takes away all skills and he is at worse dominated by a high pair.

That being said, reviewing the hand I think I made a mistake. At the time I was multi-tabling and I missed the initial min raise. It would be a standard play with a monster hand.

The allin player was squeezing so even with AK I think I should have folded.

I hate those situations.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the CO is not squeezing, he has 12BB, there is a min raise from MP he has A 10 and is in shove/fold mode which would suggest A 8s+ A 10o+ or any PP
A 10 was a standard shove here, your shove on top of that is prety standard too
even if you lose the race against this opponent you have half your chips left putting you in shove fold mode yourself, but with 20ish big blinds your not looking to fold a monster hand like this
now for the maths

player in BB already has 200 in pot, he has to pay 4283 to win 11954
given the hands you too had he would win 35.54% so to call this as long as he doesnt pay more then 4248 hes actually profitable

so mathmatically it was the correct call, but thats A.... only if you know the exact cards you were holding, because if it had been A J v K Qs, which is also a possible holding given the information in front of us, then hes only winning 27% of the time and is making a huge mistake

the question is, do you really believe the player calculated all that in his head? probably not, he probably didnt even realise he would win the hand 1 in 3, he was most likely just hoping to treble up and chose this hand to do it

one last thing to add, after placing the actions in equilab, against the ranges with the action pre, he should only be winning 1 in 4, which is why this is such a bad call, i guess some people just like to gamble to go deep

Last edited:
MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'd actually lean towards believing that villain knew what he was doing?
Sounds like you're going to fall over imo.

This

@ dkoncc you aren't actually playing vs the cards you see in the HH, but vs their ranges.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lot of people overthinking things here. these are the three most likely things BB was thinking

"it was sooted"

"oh crap i've gotta be somewhere in 5 minutes time to gamboool"

"i'm bored"

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
lot of people overthinking things here. these are the three most likely things BB was thinking

"it was sooted"

"oh crap i've gotta be somewhere in 5 minutes time to gamboool"

"i'm bored"
You've left out a couple (or more) ...
9c7c < my totally favourite hand (I ALWAYS win with it!)

Daniel Negreanu says to play suited gappers in his YouTube SmallBall series (but villain misses part about 200bb stacks)