$5 NLHE MTT: Wrong play to go all in?

cheverz

cheverz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems I just cant make that famous final table. I was about 9th out of 56 people when this happened, with the top 36 places payed. The SB had constantly been stealing off me and I guess that highly influenced my decision to play back at him with the AJ, but was that the right move to do?
my tournament was ruined after this hand and I was eventually knocked out in 49th place losing AA to a 67 flush.

IPoker Network No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t/t Blinds - 8 players - View hand 1967672
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP1: t5410 1 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 5, AF: 0.0, hands: 65
MP2: t6141 1 BBs - VPIP: 14, PFR: 8, 3B: 10, AF: 3.0, Hands: 64
CO: t4334 1 BBs - VPIP: 26, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 3.0, Hands: 54
BTN: t2040 1 BBs - VPIP: 23, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 13
SB: t5536 1 BBs - VPIP: 17, PFR: 17, 3B: 4, AF: 6.0, Hands: 69
Hero (BB): t7380 1 BBs - VPIP: 23, PFR: 16, 3B: 4, AF: 3.2, Hands: 34558
UTG: t2000 1 BBs - VPIP: 14, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 1.5, Hands: 93
UTG+1: t12253 1 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 5, AF: 0.0, Hands: 65

Pre Flop: (t0) Hero is BB with A J
6 folds, SB raises to t510, Hero raises to t1200, SB raises to t5336, Hero calls t4136

Flop: (t10672) 4 7 2 (2 players)

Turn: (t10672) 7 (2 players)

River: (t10672) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: t10672
SB shows Q 3
SB wins t11372
(Rake: t-700)

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand conversion is ****ed.. No idea if this is good or not since we don't have blinds or antes; nor why it's showing rake for an mtt.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing what the blinds are, I'd say it's generally fine to 3bet AJo from the BB against an aggressive stealer, but then calling the 4bet shove with 2/3 your stack is generally unwise unless you just know he's capable of doing this with garbage. Again though, hard to tell without blinds and antes.

On the upside, you got it in good against a horrible shove and just ran bad. Such is poker.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Liked the reraise, doubt I would have called the allin at that point in the tourney with your stack, but, you read him right & got it in ahead. Never mind, better player already splained it.

cheverz

cheverz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. Sorry about the conversion I'm new to using hm2, I copied my hand and stats and used an online hand converter and got this result. What did I do wrong?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to call his shove, then just put him in so as to maximize your fold equity. Or at least be some amount that says you have to call a shove - assuming you think he thinks at this level.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to call his shove, then just put him in so as to maximize your fold equity. Or at least be some amount that says you have to call a shove - assuming you think he thinks at this level.

Why do you want FE if you think he can spew on you. If you shove hes probably only calling with better, maybe A10 or KQ. Is it only me that agrees with the call? This guy is clearly aggro with an AF of 6, he clearly likes to put pressure on heads up... snap snap snap.

Also dont post results.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally speaking - calling a shove with AJ (especially a 4 bet) is WAY higher risk than open shoving or 3 bet shoving with AJ. I would not have called.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you want FE if you think he can spew on you. If you shove hes probably only calling with better, maybe A10 or KQ. Is it only me that agrees with the call? This guy is clearly aggro with an AF of 6, he clearly likes to put pressure on heads up... snap snap snap.

Also dont post results.

AF doesnt reliably converge over 69 hands.
more over his tightish stats indicate that he is unlikely to be doing this light.

Id need more evidence to convince me this isnt horrible tbh, currently it seems like massive spew and you caught out one of the few people online that cold 4bet light v randoms. normally you face AQ+ JJ+ here and are crushed

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it appears that we are looking at 20BB effective? (BB is either at 200 or 250 assuredly with antes) I think we def need to stick it in here especially against a villain that is being very aggressive. Calling a 4 bet with AJ is bad, 3bet/fold with these stacks is bad so shoving seems like the best play here.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AF doesnt reliably converge over 69 hands.
more over his tightish stats indicate that he is unlikely to be doing this light.

Id need more evidence to convince me this isnt horrible tbh, currently it seems like massive spew and you caught out one of the few people online that cold 4bet light v randoms. normally you face AQ+ JJ+ here and are crushed
Pretty much this. Over <100 hands I've seen my AF range from near 0 to 20. Other than VPIP/PFR, stats on less than 100 hands are mostly meaningless. No way is AJo against a 4bet shove a snap call at decent stacks (and at short stacks the AJ should be the one shoving).

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What leads you to think he's going to be spewy if you see a flop with him? He's 17/17 albeit the hand sample is quite small. So it's not clear he's playing a particularly wide range.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What leads you to think he's going to be spewy if you see a flop with him? He's 17/17 albeit the hand sample is quite small. So it's not clear he's playing a particularly wide range.

Blind on blind his range is so wide, and I think only narrows a bit when he 4 bet shoves. He's shoving nearly all pairs, and a lot of aces for value. We're calling 41 into 70, great price against his value range and when you include his spews, it makes it a snap for me.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blind on blind his range is so wide, and I think only narrows a bit when he 4 bet shoves. He's shoving nearly all pairs, and a lot of aces for value. We're calling 41 into 70, great price against his value range and when you include his spews, it makes it a snap for me.

evidence or reasoning please cause i think this is very wrong.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its close. BvB people do crazy shit and it's a close call to the 4bet shove

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
evidence or reasoning please cause i think this is very wrong.

Which part? Or all of it?

Just my personal read based on the villains stats. Im probably calling with a fair few weaker aces as well. Obviously very villain dependent.

Im open to changes if people can convince me its a bad play.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without dynamics most of his hands flat. so all worse Aces r/f or r/c, same usually applies to pairs, so like JJ+ are wetting them selves getting it in. 22-1010 are flatting our 3bet. its cool to 3bet for value since he flats all dominated hands, but i need some sort of dynamic or history to be fine with 3betting to induce jams here.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without dynamics most of his hands flat. so all worse Aces r/f or r/c, same usually applies to pairs, so like JJ+ are wetting them selves getting it in. 22-1010 are flatting our 3bet. its cool to 3bet for value since he flats all dominated hands, but i need some sort of dynamic or history to be fine with 3betting to induce jams here.

Not a chance that 77-1010 arent jamming here. Plus there is also no way 22 is flatting a 3 bet oop for a fifth of his stack.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have 3bet to 1199 and folded to the shove.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get why he was in the hand with q 3. He shouldn't have been. He's a typical donk. Probably on tilt