$5 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Unusual Play by Opponent Ends in Win

P

PokerPlayer777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand happened on wsop in PA and it was Tourney #172856858.
I have played numerous hands in poker and I can't make sense of the opponent's play in this hand. I also can't understand the runout. I don't feel like it is random and I honestly feel cheated.

HERO: Qh Qd
VILLIAN: 7s 6s

The blinds are 100/200/25.

UTG FOLDS
UTG+1 FOLDS
UTG+2 HERO RAISES 2.5x BB or 500 WITH Hand: Qh Qd STACK: 4,064 Preflop equity: 63.31%
LJ FOLDS
HJ FOLDS
CO FOLDS
BTN CALLS 500 STACK: 16,175
SB CALLS STACK: 5,525
BB FOLDS

FLOP: 10d 9c 2s

SB RAISES 200
HERO(UTG+2) RAISES ALL IN 3,539 Flop Equity: 79.39%
BTN: CALLS 3,539 Hand: 7s 6s Preflop Equity: 22.65% Flop Equity: 20.61%
SB FOLDS

TURN: Qs
HERO Turn Equity: 77.27%
BTN Turn Equity 22.73%

RIVER: 8s
HERO LOST
BTN WON Flush Q high

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets start with the hand before we talk about rigging, the site, etc.

Pre flop is a good raise and even though I prefer min raising with just 20 BBs, it is not bad to 2.5x here as long as you werent doing anything different than in other hands or you think no one will notice a deviation from previous pre flop raises.

Going to the flop the pot is roughly 1900 counting blinds, antes and calls. SB leads out for a min bet and then you jam roughly 3500? Why? If we think villain will call off then its fine but you are giving 9x an easy avenue to fold out of the hand. You block QJ as the high straight draw so they could be on a draw but that would be a chance I would be willing to take to get max chips. I believe your move will fold out a lot but you never know as I am one that can and does play on WSOP (Ill get to that below) and people on there do call too light. $5 tournies on WSOP to me play like 50 cent tournies on ACR (just my opinion). I think you should raise there but make it something more managable like 1100 and then plan to jam the turn no matter what card comes.

Now getting to the site and you feel cheated. I would not think I was cheated with this runout but even though I have made numerous posts on cardschat about sites not being rigged I will say WSOP.com (which is regulated by the way) is way crazier than any site I play on with respect to runouts and with respect to the turn card nutting someone and then the river card nutting a different player. Not saying its rigged or setup but just speaking on the empirical evidence that I have when I play on the site. Im not surprised that the gutter ball came in (I know flush too) as it really does come in more often on WSOP then it should to the point where I change my play on the site because of it. I am stickier with gutter ball straight draws on that site than I am on other sites due to this. However, it is not going to do you any good to feel how you feel. Instead analyze the hand and think how you could have played differently and did you play the best way. In this exact case I said I would not jam flop but you did and got called which is a great outcome and then had bad luck. You should continue to strive to get your money in good but at the same time if you continue to feel to screwed or cheated then you can play elsewhere. Maybe not regulated site elsewhere but there are other places to play.

Note: I am not condemning WSOP.com with what I am writing. I just feel their runouts are weird. I still play there and also do not believe it is rigged for any player. I do feel that hands as I mentioned are nut one player on turn and another player on river to maximize rake. I have no proof of this other than what I have seen and feel and I personally do not play cash games on WSOP.com for this reason. You and all who read can come to your own conclusions and play where you would like. Always though think first of how you could play the hand better before blaming the random card generator even if you think it should be titled "random" card generator.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to overthink this. You were playing a very low buyin, and your opponent was a recreational player, who chased his draw with incorrect odds and got there. This is, what recreational players do, and why its so profitable to play against them. As you even wrote in your post, he will win this hand around 1 in 5 times. But the other 4 times he lose, and you get absolute max value from a hand, which a better player would have folded. So just suck it up and register for the next tournament. This is, what long term winners do, while bad regs harp on endlessly about their latest bad beat and how rigged the sites must be.

E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets review our oppents hand. 76s

Preflop

A call from the button is a standard call against a standard open-raise.
If your opponent pick up a tell in your betsizing he would tight up his range but the call is fine.

Flop

The flop is much better for your opponent than you would think. Against 2 overcards like AK, AQ and AJ he would have 37% equity left so it would be a option to call a single c-bet.
But after the SB leads and you jam all-in there is no way he would have the best hand with 7 high.
But, if he put you on a bluff he can gamble.

In my perspective you both players played it wrong.

Preflop

If you have 20BB left you have to size down to maximum 2.15 BB.
You have to play tight already because you have just 20BB left and because you want to invest more chips in the pot by raising 2.5 BB you need to play even tighter.
An example, I got A6s in the same position and I min-raise and the bb calls.
If I c-bet 33% pot I just invest 1.67 bb. So 3.67 bb
If I open-raise 2.5 bb and c-bet 33% pot I invest 2.17 bb, so 4,67 in total.
That´s 1bb to much if you end up in folding your hand after c-betting and even more if you c-bet 50% pot or more and fold after that bet.

Flop

After the SB lead I like the idea to raise but not that much.
The small blinds leading range would have some 9x and Tx and we want to keep them in the pot and give them the right price to call.
Raising to something like 800 would do the work for you and get our opponent to call with much more bad hands than when you raise all-in here.

If you do raise to 800 and somebody shoves you have to call.
And on the turn you want to get it in.