$5 NLHE MTT: nits and suited connectors..

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so yeah, vs a decent reg.. hand is obv a bluffcatcher on the river.. some history between me and villain but seems a little bluffy.

round before I opened 55 on CO, he 3bet, I 4bet shoved and he showed 2h so can and is assumed to be light a lot in these spots..

he can have a hand here but it just seems like the cards came out perfect for him to bluff at? he can have value hands here but most likely AK/KQ/KJ(?) but the rest of his value range should check at least one street imo.

opinions?

poker stars $5.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t900/t1800 Blinds + t225 - 8 players - View hand 2025046
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP1: t51746 M = 11.50
MP2: t20150 M = 4.48
CO: t78284 M = 17.40
BTN: t35808 M = 7.96
Hero (SB): t71075 M = 15.79
BB: t71231 M = 15.83
UTG: t25990 M = 5.78
UTG+1: t86715 M = 19.27

Pre Flop: (t4500) Hero is SB with 8 :heart: 7 :heart:
6 folds, Hero raises to t3600, BB raises to t8100, Hero calls t4500

Flop: (t18000) 3 :club: 4 :spade: 8 :diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t7100, Hero calls t7100

Turn: (t32200) J :heart: (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t14500, Hero calls t14500

River: (t61200) K :diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t40500, Hero calls t40500

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove river imo and get value from AQ.

Seriously though, I like folding the river. Jx, QQ+ will still bet. Sick board though.
I just hate calling off my chips in a tourney.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding river is prob standard, just imo his line doesn't make sense for many value hands..

its like AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK/AJ(?)

+ its BvB, + he's kinda spewy.

just getting opinions..

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah ano his range is so small. Would like to see what other think. Id add KJ and 88 as well, although thats not many more combos.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call, sets and KQ and KJ v A7-2 A9 910 Q10

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, the only thing I can say for certain is don't flat call. Either fold or shove. I also think that applies to the turn. If he really is a bluffy aggressive player, then calling a 3 bet Out of Position with suited connectors could be OK, as well as check/calling on the flop with top pair and no draws. Even then I don't really like check/calling here because you have no idea where you are in the hand. But once the turn comes, you really need to find out where you are. If your hand is good enough to call here, it should be good enough to lead out with and see if he's willing to keep going.

Personally, as played I would fold. You have a middle pair with two cards above you that are well within his range. Like you said he may have started off with a bluff, but if he is LAGgy and his range is wide, he could easily have a king or a jack, or both.

Alternatively, if and only if you can confidently put him on a stone cold bluff or if you think he'll fold to a shove here holding Top Pair Weak Kicker, then shoving can be a good idea. But I just cannot see you being ahead here given the texture of the board, even if he is loose and bluffy.

Hope you did well in the Tourney.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that doesnt make any sense, why would you want to narrow his range ot hands that beat us?

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shoving to find out where you are is bad because he only calls with better.

calling/folding > shoving all day.

he isn't gonna fold better to a shove except for an 8 really, and its hard to believe he fires 3 streets with an 8 or bet/folds turn with it.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Waterboat famously says 'we shove to induce a misclick'.

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To Duggs: I'm not narrowing his range, I simply think that given the betting pattern and the OP's description of the player's style, that we are behind. As played, I think it's safer to fold here because we are likely to not have the best hand. Alternatively, a large check/raise on the river may scare him off if his hand is also not THAT strong, which it likely is not.

But my more important point is to argue against check/calling every street after the flop with no solid clues as to exactly what kind of hand our villain has. I think leading out on the flop when we're clearly ahead, or even check/raising on the flop spot is a better idea than playing passively and allowing the villain to take control of the hand.

Unless you have a really strong hand, I think it's best to try and take control of the hand away from bluffy players, so as to take away their main weapon (the bluff).

If the OP's read was that the villain was bluffing the whole way, then that was his read and he made the right play by calling. My read of the situation would be that we are way behind and should fold, or that we can only win by raising and should scare the villain off the pot.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my whole point is that you exploit their bluffing tendency by folding less and raising less NOT by raising more, you win less from their air and lose more to their value hands by raising.

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fundamentally agree with you. I just had a different interpretation of this particular hand. But discussions like these are what make this definitely the best poker forum on the web :) Cheers mate.