$5 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What do you do in this situation with AQo on the big blind?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What do you do in this situation with AQo on the big blind?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224tVnkza

Hello guys, tomorrow will be again cool tournament for me, half price sunday storm. This hand is also from half price sunday storm for 5,5$ from January. I had no big reads on the opponent from the utg. One time he pushed hand a5s from the small blind as a shortstack when player from the button raised pocket jacks. He had lucky and double up. I always give opponents from the utg a lot of respect. I had some reads on opponent from the CO, player from the CO had good run in tournament, he showed sometimes good hands and sometimes weak hands. He played well. I didn't push AQo pre flop, because of the player from the utg and I had about 26 big blinds in stack. So I decided only defend big blind with AOo. What do you do here with AQo on the big blind on this stack? Do you risk and play all in pre flop or also play like me and defend big blind?

Last edited:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather jam preflop than play AQ 4-ways out of position.

I scroll down to reply and there's my answer lol. Who else but you huh my friend?

Anyhow, 100% agree. We have the PERFECT stack size for this. 25bb we should be looking to rejam from almost any raise at the table. The reality is we only lose to AK and QQ+ and in all of those situations only AA has us incredibly crushed and we block those combos - we are 30% vs QQ and KK annnd we are 25% vs AK so we still aren't dead.

Moving on because I am rambling lol, so we have relative blockers to combos that have us beat preflop - of which there are only 4...well the chances of any opponents aside from the initial opener having these hands is almost nonexistent simply because they should be 3betting/jamming themselves! So unless we are giving the original raiser credit for 1 of those 4 dominant hands - we probably have the best hand when we dont we are still in great shape vs all underpairs and should be willing to take that flip.

Anyways, 25bb or less in our stack here, I am ALWAYS shoving this hand from this spot. As fundiver eluded to we just dont need to take this hand multi way to the flop - we are going to be folding waaaaay too much and thus wasting 2bb vs jamming and either taking down 5bb+ uncontested or getting called by worse heads up and doubling up!

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ran this hand through HRC if we call in the BB we have an EV of +2.2 however if we 3bet to 5.5bb we have an EV of +3.88.

Then if we get shoved by any position we are calling,

However its good to note MP2 should be folding A8s as it has an EV of -0.23.

Flatting from the bb however is not a bad play, the cards just didn't run out for us.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't mind flatting in the BB with that hand.