$5 NL HE STT: The art of removing yourself from the tournament hand 1 - JJ in a 3-bet pot

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
There is in old saying in poker, that you cant win a tournament in the first hand, but you can lose it. This is the very first hand of a 5$ 9-man SnG, and my opponent masterfully illustrated this idea. At least he was not an easy man to bluff :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm taking that you jammed in an attempt to protect from flush draws? Well, that definitely didn't stop second top pair from coming along.

By the way, mrpushka means Mr. Cannon and plays true to their name.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is in old saying in poker, that you cant win a tournament in the first hand, but you can lose it. This is the very first hand of a 5$ 9-man SnG, and my opponent masterfully illustrated this idea. At least he was not an easy man to bluff :)

For those who are new to poker this is a great example of not understanding relative hand strength by the Villain- Top pair best kicker is a good hand but not with such a low top pair card-- 66 88 99 TT JJ are all better hands that our hero can have on the flop- they can also have Jxhh hands that now beat you on the turn- Our hero would also not play that many of their weak draws in this manner as it is a multiway pot- so our top pair goes down further in value

Secondly we want to understand positional hand strength and equity realization- A8 suited is not a great hand to call preflop OOP vs a big raise and a call because we are dominated by better Ax hands by pairs as here and if we do get a flush draw we cannot control the pot size so we often cannot get the right pot odds to get to the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who are new to poker this is a great example of not understanding relative hand strength by the Villain- Top pair best kicker is a good hand but not with such a low top pair card-- 66 88 99 TT JJ are all better hands that our hero can have on the flop- they can also have Jxhh hands that now beat you on the turn- Our hero would also not play that many of their weak draws in this manner as it is a multiway pot- so our top pair goes down further in value

Secondly we want to understand positional hand strength and equity realization- A8 suited is not a great hand to call preflop OOP vs a big raise and a call because we are dominated by better Ax hands by pairs as here and if we do get a flush draw we cannot control the pot size so we often cannot get the right pot odds to get to the river.
Exactly. When I cold call the 3-bet, my range is even stronger than the range of the 3-bettor, so A8s is suffering from massive domination issues. And its not like, he was getting a good price either with the 3-bet being almost 5,5X the size of his open raise. Plus he opened from UTG, where this should be near the bottom of his range. So lots of reasons to just fold A8s preflop to that 3-bet and lose less than 3% of his stack instead of getting himself into this mess :)
I'm taking that you jammed in an attempt to protect from flush draws? Well, that definitely didn't stop second top pair from coming along.
Yeah something like that. With less than a pot sized bet left I did not want to make it a 3-street hand, and jamming turn can also look bluffy. I did consider for a moment, if this line gave me to much fold equity with the nuts, but apparently not.
By the way, mrpushka means Mr. Cannon and plays true to their name.
Went out like a true cannonball :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands