$5 MTT Pocket 10s early on

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Total posts
Stacks: - BLIZGE with 2425 - wtficall with 1010 - snwsrfr with 655 - SeanyJ24 with 3575 - BobbyMcgee3 with 655 - striker001 with 1580 - dgregg02 with 1960 - Dingo_in_Oz with 4415 - goldendonnie with 3235

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds: 25/50
Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to SeanyJ24:
td.gif
tc.gif

* - Sklansky group 2
Preflop:
**- 1 players fold.
* - goldendonnie calls [50]
**- 2 players fold.
* - wtficall: folds
**- 1 players fold.
* - seanyj24 raises 150 to 200
**- 3 players fold.
* - goldendonnie calls [150]
* - Total folds this street: 7
* - Potsize: 475
Flop:
3d.gif
8c.gif
3c.gif

* - goldendonnie bets [100]
* - seanyj24 raises 250 to 350
* - goldendonnie calls [250]
* - Potsize: 1175
Turn:
qc.gif

* - goldendonnie: checks
* - SeanyJ24: checks
* - Potsize: 1175
River:
2h.gif

* - goldendonnie: checks
* - SeanyJ24: ...?
Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Tournament started with 110 people and there is 83 remaining and I'm currently somewhere around 15th place. I've only been at this table for two hands so I've got nothing on the villain. What's the best play here?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Total posts
Ya I think we can bet/fold this for value. I see a lot of weak A8/66 type hands here and if we get raised it makes for a pretty easy fold. I say about 550.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Total posts
what chuck said is a good choice but in this spot I think I am just going to check it without maybe having to make a tough decision later on.
Either way is fine but if it were me then I would take the more conservative root, and check.

you know now that I go back and look at the hand played out, you definetly should bet the river and fold to any re raise

Last edited:
A

AutoArt

Enthusiast
Total posts
I honestly can't put the villian on anything else but A 8 or JJ and lower pocket pairs, maybe A 3 but he would come out betting on the river after you checked the Q to try to get more money from you. In this situation I would check because whenever I'm in these situations and I come out betting I usually end up losing, unless I have a good gut feeling or a good read on the guy (which you said you don't).

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
i agree that you need to put in a value bet here of about 500 that is tempting to call. I think any hand that beats you would lead out on river after you checked turn. So a value bet is needed

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Total posts
I honestly can't put the villian on anything else but A 8 or JJ and lower pocket pairs, maybe A 3 but he would come out betting on the river after you checked the Q to try to get more money from you. In this situation I would check because whenever I'm in these situations and I come out betting I usually end up losing, unless I have a good gut feeling or a good read on the guy (which you said you don't).

JJ doesn't limp-call in EP very often. I think we'll see 8x, 9s and 7s-4s the majority of the time here, and occasionally a flush, trips, JJ+ or some other weird holding that has you beat the.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Total posts
Well since I don't think this is going to get much more discussion, I just checked behind and he showed K8 and I took it down. For some reason I just felt like he was slow playing a flush and was waiting for me to bet.

I went on to win this tournament too, for a smooth $165.

B

barney102

Rising Star
Total posts
Yes I would bet for value perhaps just over a third the size of the pot, It is very rare for online players to check the river, as they risk a check behind them. But it is ok I guess to check behind considering it was early on.