$5.50 NLHE STT: Should Villain be shoving here or min-raising?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
4 handed in the later stage of this 5 dollar SnG (so the money bubble) and V in the CO min-raises KJo. I am never folding A4s here for this price but I wonder what the play would be if V shoves 15bb here. I think shoving was probably the better play OOP, no?

This player is a top performer according to Shark Scope. Top 10 or 15 on several leaderboards for profit at these stakes and higher. So maybe his play was better.

On the turn, perhaps he thought I would fold if I didn't have an A and he thought the risk was worth it. If he is planning to shove, wouldn't getting it in pre be better? That would have given me reason to think about it. For a min-raise, it's a snap call and it's certainly a call on the flop with around 56% against any random 2 cards (wheel draw and backdoor straight flush draw)

When the A hits the turn, I am never folding to his shove with top pair & a straight draw

NL Holdem $5+$0.50 (150.00BB)
BB ($5026)
CO ($2283)
BTN ($5510)
HERO ($5181)

Dealt to Hero: 4 A

CO Raises To $315, BTN Folds, HERO Calls $225, BB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.43 effective]
Flop ($810): 5 T 3
HERO Checks, CO Bets $330 (Rem. Stack: $1638), HERO Calls $330 (Rem. Stack: $4536)

Turn ($1470): 5 T 3 A
HERO Checks, CO Bets $1638 (allin), HERO Calls $1638 (Rem. Stack: $2898)

River ($4746): 5 T 3 A 6

CO shows: K J

HERO wins: $4746

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
COs decision to min-raise rather than jam for 15 bigs is fine, if the players in the blinds are passive and will defend mostly by calling rather than 3-betting. Which is exactly, what happened. A4s is a perfectly fine hand to 3-bet from SB as a bluff. Go to somewhere around 1.100 chips, fold if BB comes over the top, and snap it of, if CO decides to go with his hand. Just calling here is a bit iffy to be honest, since you dont even close action, and its going to be tough to realise your equity out of position.

Flop
COs C-bet is pretty standard, and once again you took the passive option of check-calling with a hand, that would have been a price candidate to check-jam as a semibluff with a gutshot, a BDFD and an overcard.

Turn
I dont hate COs bluff here, since the A hits his range much harder than yours, and if you had a hand like 5X or even TX, this would be a tough call to make. Just a little unlucky for him, that he was trying to represent a card, you actually had. For you its not a call, we love to make, but if nothing else we block him from having top pair, so this hand is to good to fold now. If we end up losing to AX with a better kicker, so be it.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
villain shoves on the turn was terrible and i dont know if shoving all in with kj is that great with 15bb because i think the result would have been the same. would you have folded the hand if villain shoves preflop? i think a4 suited is a very strong postflop hand so i dont think i would have been able to fold that hand in a 4 player table...

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Total posts
Chips
This seem lose in my opinion. Regardless of this result you will lose your shirt with this play long run.