$5.50 NLHE STT: Pocket 10's, early in the game

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I am playing a 10 ppl stt on Carbon. It was the 3rd hand, blinds was still 5/10. I have pocket 10's in middle position. Everybody folds to me and I raise it too 40. The big blind was the only one that called. Flop comes 7c Qs 9h. He checks and I bet 60 into a 85 pot I think it was....he calls. The turn is Qc. He checks, I bet 110...it was right around half the pot. He raises too 330. What would you do?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish Carbon had good hand histories :eek: Couple things here:

Not sure if I like raising to t40, in my opinion I'd rather play a multi-way pot and encourage some action so when I flop a set I'm likely to get paid off big. By raising larger we are playing against a stronger range of hands and limiting the field, which is not a goal of mine for this hand.

Once the flop hits, I am probably checking this back and picking off bluffs. We have showdown value but can't play a big pot (as we found out later in the hand), so I like to check it back, call the turn if he bets, and usually call the river, as long as the board looks good. That's part of the benefit or raising smaller, it's easier to get to showdown with our hand, because the bets we face on the turn and river are smaller.

Once we get check-raised this is a very easy fold imo.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CJ hit the nail on the head. I might have raised pre but as for the flop you can probably check behind to keep the pot small. The Q is an excellent card for us and so if he bets you can probably bluff catch as you have good showdown value i.e call. If he checks you can check behind to keep the pot small still and then you can call almost any bet on the river.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to fold on the C/R IMO

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold, no point getting in to a war and potentially busting out so early for your pair of some what marginal 10's on a board like that. It's very easily within someones range to limp with connectors, J,Q, gap connectors, Q+10,A,Q and so on..

I'd definitely wait for a better spot.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am fine with a fold on the turn to the check raise. With that said, I do not like checking the flop. There are several cards that we definitely do not want to see hit (J, K, A). So we c-bet to protect our hand, and also, if he does have some type of straight draw or smaller pocket pair, we can raise for value and/or charge draws.

An example of when you should check behind with a pocket pair is when you have KK on an A high board and you are in position. You can check behind because, for the most part, you are not scared of any other card hitting, unlike this hand where there are cards we do not want to hit.

When I have hands like 1010 and there is one over card (like this hand), I am c-betting so that, at the very least, I do not give over cards a free turn.

Last edited:
C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with losched. I like the raise to 40 to get people out of the pot so you are only against one or two opponents. The set does not hit nearly enough to justify trapping with a playable hand like TT in mid position. As we are TT, we also do not want to see broadway community cards which is why we want to stay aggressive and take down a small pot.

Given that we see two Queens and are check raised, I think villain has a queen with weak kicker. Anyway, I would fold to the check-raise on the turn

Top 10 Games