$5.50 NLHE MTT: KK turned into bluff

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mates, I have doubt about this hand, what do you think about the line.
At first I thought about making two barrels, that's why I made a small cbet, but the turn was not good, that's why I decided to check, maybe with a heart blocker, I would have made a second barrel.

The river was not good, so I decided to turn my KK into a bluff, but my question is whether my bet was good enough to fold a small heart.?

https://www.boomplayer.com/32069587_F4F00A75C5

gl mates. :D :p

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi mates, I have doubt about this hand, what do you think about the line.
At first I thought about making two barrels, that's why I made a small cbet, but the turn was not good, that's why I decided to check, maybe with a heart blocker, I would have made a second barrel.

The river was not good, so I decided to turn my KK into a bluff, but my question is whether my bet was good enough to fold a small heart.?

https://www.boomplayer.com/32069587_F4F00A75C5

gl mates. :D :p

Looks fine as played to me.

The question on the river is > If I bet here on the river (after checking the turn) am I repping a big flush? Can I make better hands fold?

It looks like villain held an Ace & no heart. Does he fold a smaller heart? Like what smaller heart is in his range? Th? w ATo ??

What size of bet would you have made on this river if say you were holding the Nutflush? (or high flush)
What hands are you checking turn there but betting river with? I mean.. if we held something like AxKh... would we be checking turn? KxKh would we check turn? (depends on villain I'd think)

Sometimes stuff depends on what's going on for us on the table... like villain's tendancies, history vs. villain, our image on table, what the play on table has been like. Sometimes this stuff doesn't matter much. What I mean though is, when we're sitting on the table we get a feel for the situation that others may not just from observing one hand. This hand though, I think you played it fine. Is the bet big enough to fold out a small heart? ... idk.. for me maybe a bet that isn't real large might be indicating a hand of greater strength... making it 'look like' you're wanting a call... & a big bet might look like you're prayin' they fold that smaller heart, lol. 'It depends'

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to bluff with your worst hands. This is not one of your worst hands, and it has some showdown value. You can check this hand, and sometimes Villain will check back, and you win at showdown against his TT with no heart etc. This mean, that for a bluff to be profitable, you need Villain to be massively overfolding. You probably had no information, that this was going to be the case, and then its a bad bluff. You cant even say, it worked, because he might well have folded a worse hand.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it well until river from my point of view. Your bet on the river gives me a feeling like you were sure that he already has an ace and you might be playing against one card that could be a card of hearts. Pay attention on how villain played the turn, he checked, if he had an ace here it’s very likely that he would bet, he might as well made a half pot bet. I’m excluding ace here, i would think that any of two cards in villain’s hands could be a card of hearts so i wouldn’t make a bet on river and i would loose this hand.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Default line:
Check OTF, balancing with weaker Ax and stabbing with weak pp and some draws).
OTT some of time and bet, if flop went check check. Most of the time you want to block bet, given another heart came.
OTR. easy give up given the lines we came up with previously.

Alternative line. If after checking he starts betting. we start with a check call once and at lower frequency OTT too, since we want to start giving up some of our range.
River play is up to you, mixing is fine. dont overdo it.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many pairs, suited hands, and connectors in the opponent's call range. KK here is really a bluff, but it was better to make a second barrel, and if the opponent made a call or raise, we would already know that we are far behind. We cannot receive this information after the receipt

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I also think you played it well this KK. The flop isn't good for pocket kings. On the late postion opponent can call some good aces, like ATo or Ajo that he can't rather 3bet pre flop. On the flop I think you played good, bet for about 50% looks good. The turn isn't good card for you, because of possible flush, but if opponent would have flush, he should value bet on turn. In your range often are aces. You both played check on the turn and the river is good card to bluff. I think if you don't bluff as a first, your opponent can do this and you will be have hard decision on the river. IMO worth to risk on the river and better play pocket kings as a bluff.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the sizing preflop - then the flop rolls out and I would check/call for sure. When we bet this flop we are only getting called by sticky underpairs (I'd say TT and lower), flush draws, and Ax - we do not hold the K of hearts so we do not block any flush draws the OP may have and as such this means the nit flush draw is entirely possible to be in their range.

Anyhow, check flop because we are generally only getting called by better and it under reps the strength of our hand. If our opponent bets, we call - if they do not bet and they check back - then now I am going to be betting the turn ESPECIALLY when the heart comes. Why? Because our opponent should nearly ALWAYS be betting their nut flush draw on the flop when we check to them and offer up the betting lead. So for me, this rules out most good flush draws - so we bet small, 33% - 40% pot and if we get raised this is an easy fold if we do not get raised we can evaluate rivers accordingly.

If we were to bet turn small and get called and then the river comes the heart - now we can stick out a bigger bet, somewhere around 2/3 pot. Looks suuuuper valuey and is not easily called down by a smaller heart. I think every heart T and under folds. You are potentially folding out the J pretty easily as well, it depends on our opponent.

As played I think the flop bet is a mistake and we are generally getting called by better - turn card doesnt help us much at all - so we check, they check back. River is another heart - I dont think I would bet here too often, my hand still has showdown value and most players aren't into turning their hands into bluffs on 4 liner rivers like these so I'd check and hope he checks it back, fold to any bets and move on. You cant win em all and it's not the best runout for KK.

For me villan made a mistake in this hand as well - when you cbet flop and check back turn - I know you NEVER have an Ace or a big heart - so when you bet river I know you have some bluffs and smaller hearts in your range so I may do something like raise you 2.5x (small and value looking) and make your life miserable ;)

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to bluff with your worst hands. This is not one of your worst hands, and it has some showdown value. You can check this hand, and sometimes Villain will check back, and you win at showdown against his TT with no heart etc. This mean, that for a bluff to be profitable, you need Villain to be massively overfolding. You probably had no information, that this was going to be the case, and then its a bad bluff. You cant even say, it worked, because he might well have folded a worse hand.
If you check the river, how do you think you win the hand? Are you going to pray for the villain to check? I think it is not a good option.

Looks fine as played to me.

The question on the river is > If I bet here on the river (after checking the turn) am I repping a big flush? Can I make better hands fold?

It looks like villain held an Ace & no heart. Does he fold a smaller heart? Like what smaller heart is in his range? Th? w ATo ??

What size of bet would you have made on this river if say you were holding the Nutflush? (or high flush)
What hands are you checking turn there but betting river with? I mean.. if we held something like AxKh... would we be checking turn? KxKh would we check turn? (depends on villain I'd think)

Sometimes stuff depends on what's going on for us on the table... like villain's tendancies, history vs. villain, our image on table, what the play on table has been like. Sometimes this stuff doesn't matter much. What I mean though is, when we're sitting on the table we get a feel for the situation that others may not just from observing one hand. This hand though, I think you played it fine. Is the bet big enough to fold out a small heart? ... idk.. for me maybe a bet that isn't real large might be indicating a hand of greater strength... making it 'look like' you're wanting a call... & a big bet might look like you're prayin' they fold that smaller heart, lol. 'It depends'

Thanks for your opinion Collin, good analysis

Hello, I also think you played it well this KK. The flop isn't good for pocket kings. On the late postion opponent can call some good aces, like ATo or Ajo that he can't rather 3bet pre flop. On the flop I think you played good, bet for about 50% looks good. The turn isn't good card for you, because of possible flush, but if opponent would have flush, he should value bet on turn. In your range often are aces. You both played check on the turn and the river is good card to bluff. I think if you don't bluff as a first, your opponent can do this and you will be have hard decision on the river. IMO worth to risk on the river and better play pocket kings as a bluff.
Thanks for your comment.

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played very well.

Given he didn't 3bet pre flop he wont have any AKh in his range, therefore he cant call with the nuts here giving you the nuts advantage as he should NOT have this in his range. He could have AQh AJh what check back turn to pot control, but these hands should be betting turn for value given its a strong hand and has a high flush draw. Therefore he shouldn't have many high hearts in his hand thus I like this bluff, it puts villain in a tricky situation where at best he has to call with a middling heart.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You tell him preflop that you have smt. Afterwards good play and good bet at the end half of the pot. Here you don't bluff because you have nice hand. I think he doesn't have pair in his pocket maybe A with 10 without heart. Here he was afraid from the str8 and flush too so he has more reasons to fold then call.