$5.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KK vs. 79o

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had KK on the button. Blinds were 200/400. I had about 25k chips, villain had about 20k. Villain raised to 800 from the lowjack. I 3-bet 2400. Villain calls. Flop comes 6 8 T rainbow. Villain checks. I half-pot bet, villain calls. Turn is something like a 3. Villain checks. I half-pot bet again, villain calls. River I can't remember but it was nothing alarming. Villain stalls and shoves. I can't imagine he has 7 9 at all. But I asked myself, does he have that?? NOPE!!! I call. Villain shows 79o...

This character gave me no indication he would play something like that. Granted I am still studying, but this had me shocked. He folded almost the entire time I watched him in the previous 20 minutes of play. To be honest, I thought he had a set. But I was more convinced he was full of it. All I can think is that he got bored and just wanted to play a hand and got lucky... I'm so flabbergasted :D

To be fair, I totally over-played my hand. But, again, just wasn't expecting that hand from the villain. Lesson learned, but I'd like to hear when you all would've thrown in the towel.

Thanks in advance!

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If not just bored as you said, he probably knew it was a good spot to stack a nit. If you had such an image.
Bigger 3bet pre and bigger cbet ,even overbet, next time. See how it goes! You are deep enough. First step charge, second step get owned by randoms, third step play ps4.
Also take a note on him.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the problem of the micro limits, the players do not have defined ranges. And while this is more exploitable in general terms, the reality is that giving the villain a probable range of hands during the game is quite complicated.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
when you level yourself it's impossible they have that specific kind of hand, they have it
defo, with only over pair to show with that kind of action you just have to discipline fold

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You started the hand with 50BB, and then its fine to go broke with a big overpair in a 3-bet pot. Stack to pot ratio was only around 3. Sure the board is somewhat connected, which increase the risk of two pair or even a flopped straight, but there are still many other hands, you are ahead of, so bet, bet, shove or in this case bet, bet, call is fine. And your sizing is also fine especially in a 3-bet pot.

Dont be results oriented and question your play, just because you happen to lose a hand. As for Villains hand, if he can have 97o, then he can also have 98o, 87o etc., and those hands might be played the same way turning them into a bluff on the river, when they dont improve. You honestly see so much crazy shit in the micros, so dont think, people always have value, when they take a line like this, because they dont.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You started the hand with 50BB, and then its fine to go broke with a big overpair in a 3-bet pot. Stack to pot ratio was only around 3. Sure the board is somewhat connected, which increase the risk of two pair or even a flopped straight, but there are still many other hands, you are ahead of, so bet, bet, shove or in this case bet, bet, call is fine. And your sizing is also fine especially in a 3-bet pot.

Dont be results oriented and question your play, just because you happen to lose a hand. As for Villains hand, if he can have 97o, then he can also have 98o, 87o etc., and those hands might be played the same way turning them into a bluff on the river, when they dont improve. You honestly see so much crazy shit in the micros, so dont think, people always have value, when they take a line like this, because they dont.

So, I really appreciate your reply here. I've actually been doing some research on the micro level games. And, it turns out you are absolutely right. There is no element of reason here, especially early on, so it's best just to play as solid as you can but beware of these situations.

Honestly, I should've put an end to it after the first or maybe second call. But, again lesson learned. I just find it interesting that I've learned so much in the last week with my training course, but it really wasn't applicable in this game. I don't want to jump the gun and try higher stakes yet, but I feel like I know way more today than I did a week ago. So, I am preparing myself for that when the time comes.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. And good luck to you! :)

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah can't stress this often enough. In micro tourneys you never want to be folding here (unless your stats show hes a super nit). Your only concern should be to decide which betsize you want to use (i.e. ask yourself, how do I make the most money here in the long run?). 8/10 times you win a good sized pot here, but yes sometimes you don't. Part of the game, don't overthink it.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With this style of betting, you must fold OTR. Or check-back, if he checks. I will go for big raise preflop, big bets postflop, $5 tournament. If the people makes mistakes, you will make a profit. Don't play , like that. They often can't do mistakes against your style. Big raises and bets is pretty "brutal" and "ugly", but very effective at this limits. Very profitable.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I never understand this type of player, i mean you 3bet x3 his raise and he still calls with 79o...
I don't think you overplayed your hand he could have 99 JJ QQ AT A8s and he thinks that you missed your flop, when he shoves the river his range is polarised.so if i was you i would make the call, BUT instead of betting 1/2pot on the turn i would prefer to OVER BET the pot and CHECK BACK/Call anything on the river.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Having a "trash" hand in your range is something I also sometimes do. Mine used to be 68s and 68o when circumstances permitted. I have also used hands like 23 or 79. Usually you stop these hands when you get under 20BB or so.

With hands like this, you play them aggressively pre flop, and when they hit, few people can put you on a hand so you tend to win bigger pots. If they miss, you just fold (or continuation bet, depending on flop).

If you elect to use a "trash" hand, choose one that either hits the flop or misses. T2 might work for Doyle, but you want something that can flop a straight draw and also hits the unrecognizable nuts.

The objective of the hand is to win the villain's whole stack when you pick up two pair or better, because they won't put you on "trash."

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is the problem of the micro limits, the players do not have defined ranges. And while this is more exploitable in general terms, the reality is that giving the villain a probable range of hands during the game is quite complicated.

I had KK on the button. Blinds were 200/400. I had about 25k chips, villain had about 20k. Villain raised to 800 from the lowjack. I 3-bet 2400. Villain calls. Flop comes 6 8 T rainbow. Villain checks. I half-pot bet, villain calls. Turn is something like a 3. Villain checks. I half-pot bet again, villain calls. River I can't remember but it was nothing alarming. Villain stalls and shoves. I can't imagine he has 7 9 at all. But I asked myself, does he have that?? NOPE!!! I call. Villain shows 79o...

This character gave me no indication he would play something like that. Granted I am still studying, but this had me shocked. He folded almost the entire time I watched him in the previous 20 minutes of play. To be honest, I thought he had a set. But I was more convinced he was full of it. All I can think is that he got bored and just wanted to play a hand and got lucky... I'm so flabbergasted :D

To be fair, I totally over-played my hand. But, again, just wasn't expecting that hand from the villain. Lesson learned, but I'd like to hear when you all would've thrown in the towel.

Thanks in advance!

I would have called as well. Who calls a 3bet with 7,9o. I would compliment his hand and hope to play with this guy regularly.