$5.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Weak pot building

dunc1189

dunc1189

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

This seems to be a pretty weak part of my game where I don't inflate the pots enough with high potential hands. Everyone folded to me on the button with A40o so I open raised to 2.5BB. SB folded and BB called. Flop came K43 all spades giving me a pair of 4s and a flush draw with the A. BB checked and I checked back (probably should have put in a c-bet?). Turn came A, BB bet 1/2 pot and I called. River came 10 spades giving me the flush - BB checked and I bet 1/5 of the pot which BB called. BB showed A9o and I took the pot. Would appreciate some thoughts on if I could have sized my bets better on all streets or taken a different line to get more money in the the pot - thought villain would likely fold to anything bigger if he didn't't have a spade.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524CKuWHO

Thanks!

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think the hand was very well played, maybe a bet a little stronger on the river, approximately 4 BB (240) is the only thing different that I would have done in this hand.

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

........ thought villain would likely fold to anything bigger if he didn't't have a spade.

Thanks!

What if he does have a spade?

In this case, |I think you got the maximum out of the hand possible, but will this happen a lot? Maybe in the long term a bigger bet will pay off more when he has a spade.

Also he may have just folded to any bet size on the river without a spade.

Personally, I don't think a small bet on river does much, better off targeting a hand where he has a spade and pays you off big.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
150BB deep you can use a larger open raise like 3BB or even 3,5BB to build up the pot and give a worse price to defend their blinds. 2,5BB is not terrible though.

Flop
Checking back the flop is fine, because you have a weak pair, so you have some showdown value, and you are obviously not afraid of another spade. Putting out a standard C-bet of around half pot would also be fine though. You are really deep here, so building the pot for the times, you make the nuts later, might be slightly better. The long term EV of checking and betting is very close though.

Turn
You improved to two pair, and while this is not, what you were mainly looking for, I think, your hand is strong enough to raise, especially when the pot is still so small. Just calling is a little bit to passive in my opinion and leaving money on the table. Even if you are behind, which is very unlikely now, you still have a draw to the nuts.

River
You dont need to give him such an absurdly good price to get action. Its important to remember, that poker is a long term game, and even if a 50% pot bet only gets called half as often as a 20% pot bet, it still creates more profit. Its ok to bet the nuts and create a fold. This does not mean, you failed. Using a bigger bet size also allow you to bluff more often.

dunc1189

dunc1189

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all, good advice. Definitely should have bet the river harder.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree mostly with fundiver. I also think that you should raise more pre flop, for me 3x is a standard. Later on the flop I see two option, on the flop we can play check or play bet, because we have about 15 outs that can made the best hand for us, 9 out to flush, three fours and three aces. I understand that we don't sure if 15 outs will come on the board and I understand check on the flop. On the turn with two pair I think we can make any raise for about 2,5x, becuase usually with two pair we have the best hand and it is worth to risk. As played on the river - I play here bet 50%-67% of the pot, if opponent fold, that's tough! It happens sometimes. GL :)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

This seems to be a pretty weak part of my game where I don't inflate the pots enough with high potential hands. Everyone folded to me on the button with A40o so I open raised to 2.5BB. SB folded and BB called. Flop came K43 all spades giving me a pair of 4s and a flush draw with the A. BB checked and I checked back (probably should have put in a c-bet?). Turn came A, BB bet 1/2 pot and I called. River came 10 spades giving me the flush - BB checked and I bet 1/5 of the pot which BB called. BB showed A9o and I took the pot. Would appreciate some thoughts on if I could have sized my bets better on all streets or taken a different line to get more money in the the pot - thought villain would likely fold to anything bigger if he didn't't have a spade.

Thanks!

Hello,

The size you bet on the river could induce a bluff. Depending on your opponents aggression in previous hands played. If he is a nit then bet half pot and be happy that you won regardless. If your opponent has been agressive the try to induce a river bluff.