$5.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: JJ. facing shove

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious as to your thoughts here. I’ve 27BB with JJ facing a 12bb shove. I made the call & lose to KK.
Is there anyone out there who folds in this spot? I figured I’m against a lot of lower pairs or flipping against Ax.

Villain has been fairly tight (from memory) think their PFR was 7

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call - if your opponent had AK or TT and your JJ held up and won the hand you wouldn't even be posting this. Dont take that the wrong way - tons of players question their move all the time when in reality it's a standard spot and just a cooler and if you would have won said spot, you wouldn't even question the result. Know what I mean?

Unless you were at a final table with serious ICM implications this is always a snap call. Even vs a narrow range. If you dont call you are basically putting him on QQ+ and nothing else and that just simply isnt true.

Conclusion - snap call, ran into a cooler, nothing you can do. You're not dead when you lose, pick up the pieces and look for a spot to get your remaining 15bb all in! Chin up, these are normal spots. Shake it off and move on

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Super standard call even against a tight player. QQ+ is only 1,5% of hands, so even with a 7% PFR he will have something else most of the time. Also whenever we look at HUD stats, we need to keep sample size in mind, and maybe that number has not yet completely converged.

Finally it is also possible, that he limp KK or AA as a trap with a stack this short, and that his open jams are more weighted towards hands like 66-99 or AX, which don’t mind to pick it up uncontested. 7% PFR does not always mean exactly the top 7% of hands. It can be somewhat more situational and mixed.

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys - agree with your analysis here thanks for the input.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call even with 99 and AQ.
And depending on positions with AJ too.

The range of a 12bb shove must be pretty wide I guess, including hands that JJ completely destroys like any pocket pair 22-10, AJ, KJ, QJ, Axs, A10. You flipping against some like AQ, AK, KQ and you lose only from the obvious pocket pairs.
I don't know if the pfr stat is says too many things if it relies to when he was short stacked and was just waiting to shove. But even a tight player can shove the hands I mentioned above (me xD).

So yeap, standard call.