$5.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Turbo: What would you have done here?

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain was quite LAG, and I thought real hard about shoving after the flop, but held off, only because while his range included small pairs and suited cards, this would be just the time he had an A. His bet off the flop made me think he didn't have the A, but couldn't tell if the was just testing the waters or fishing for chips to build the pot.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 60/120 Blinds 15 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB (t2,870)
BB (t5,965)
UTG (t6,310)
UTG+1 (t6,814)
MP1 (t7,185)
MP2 (t5,351)
MP3 (t6,699)
CO (t6,930)
Hero (Button) (t7,180)

Hero's M: 22.79

Preflop: Hero is Button with K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif

UTG raises to t240, UTG+1 calls t240, 4 folds, Hero raises to t1,275, 2 folds, UTG calls t1,035, UTG+1 calls t1,035

Flop: (t4,140) 9
heart.gif
, 6
diamond.gif
, A
club.gif
(3 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets t360, Hero calls t360, UTG calls t360

Turn: (t5,220) 10
spade.gif
(3 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets t5,164 (All-In), Hero folds, 1 fold

Total pot: t5,220

Results below:
UTG+1 didn't show

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a Turbo, don't know why I checked that.

warturtle7

warturtle7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually donk bets indicate a draw or a middle/ bottom pair so I guess he didn't had an Ace but something like 87. It makes sense with the shove on the turn since he would have got a straight and would have been payed big If you had AK, AQ.
About your decision to call the flop, I think i would have raised it

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks War.

Donk bet thoughts I agree with, but I kept thinking "He called a 10 bb raise, so even for a fish that's a bit extreme". But I wasn't prepared to risk my tournament life on a flip.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're probably right; I should have raised on the flop. Me calling showed weakness if he was testing the waters. I'm still convinced if he had anything decent, he wouldn't have shoved.

Live & learn, thanks for the advice.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough spot there, however even with KK and an ace on the flop it still looks like you can rep a big Ace with your 3bet preflop....That donk bet looks pretty weak and looks like villain is scared or possible has a mid PP/draw....Once the turn comes 87 and TT got there...both hands in villains range....I think folding the turn is fine since the only thing your beating is total air....However on the flop I may have re raised his donkbet...but how you played the hand is fine and if anything you lost the min there :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what a weird tiny donk bet! ??

either way, with all 3 players calling a bet on the flop somebody has to have at least an Ace by now on the turn....so you've gotta fold the turn.

question is, how to play the flop? an argument can definitely be made for re-raising the tiny donkbet to about 2,000 to try and blow out the weak ace or draw.

But see....that line kinda sucks too because now half my stack is in the pot with KK on an A hi board in a 3 way pot.... and I'll have to give up if I face any more action from either player....uggghhh...I probably would have just flat called that weird 360 flop bet too; hoped to be heads up on turn and get to the river cheap...

on the bright side, by betting a mere 360 into a 4k+ pot he gives you better than 12:1 pot odds to try and suck out by hitting a K on the turn or river... almost the right price...

tough, sucky hand.

I'm still kinda stumped.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have raised the flop too, just to see where I'm at, with so many people in the pot, and then be prepared to fold on the turn. Tough situation with so many in. Ugh.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold. That Ace on the board is more handsome than our two kings.
We can fold here and still has average stack in relation to opponents stack.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you should believe him at this spot. First of all he called 10bb raise pre! Second of all in his range there are hands like 99 and 66 or even 78 suited, you could re raise the flop that you would know better what he is trying to say with this 1/10 bet at the flop (i think here he had some good stuff this time, maybe hitting a set), so ul for the KK and fold them here.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never seen data suggesting such odd bets have a pattern although admittedly, I haven't data mined for this. Since I don't know or have any real feel for where I stand, I'm inclined to play it the way OP did.

M

mariocep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think that this bad run, with the information you had the villain, you could only expect K or anything. At least at that level, I think

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i think you played it how i would op, nh

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only mistake here was the size of your pre flop raise, seems way to big. Maximum I'd go here is 1k. That said when you do raise this big and have 2 callers there is a very high probability one has an ace in their hand. It's annoying when people donk that small on the flop but I think I'd play the flop/turn the same because we still have UTG to act after he checked and it would be so tilting to have him x/r all-in or something so I'm glad you didn't shove his donk bet.