$5.50 NLHE MTT Bounty: What did he think???

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5,50$ 6k gtd KO, 7max tourney, deep in ITM, around 100 players left, my opponent - as i checked later - a profitable player +5% ROI after 2k+ tourney, average BI around 7$...
Don't know about him anything else... (softwares not allowed, so that's the max.)

I know i played it okay, that's not the question. it is about the opponent - even long term it is good - but what the hell he thinks? what is in their minds when make moves like this??? Based on what???

Is there ever a similar situation where you allin bluff with hands like this? (I don't think so it was an allin bluff, i had no fold equity at all on a board like this, after my flop openbet, what he thought i have, what can make me fold when 10-12BB left front of me...???)

Was it really, simply just an allin bluff??? or he went for my bounty with 4 outs on flop??? wasnt much, maybe 4-5$ (got relegated yesterday in the very similar way in ITM from 3 other tourneys within 30 min, pretty much unbelievable...)

https://mygame.mypartypokerlive.com/share/replayer?id=61cc0d177cced97d56aa16d4

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Personally I just fold T8s to an UTG open. But its not that uncommon for people to want to play these "pretty" hands especially on CO and BTN.

Flop
I actually like his bluff. If you are going to call preflop with this sort of hand, the plan has to be to bluff, when you pick up some sort of equity. And here he flopped a gutshot + BDFD. This is not a great draw of course, but for that exact reason he cant just call and try to make his hand. He is not getting the right odds, and you dont have enough stack left for implied odds. Also if he want to be balanced, what hands can he bluff with, that are better than this?

He was just a little unlucky to run into the top of your range. He is not expecting you to fold an overpair, but if you were C-betting with AK, AJ, AT, KQ all that sort of hands, it would be really tough for you to call it off, and his bluff would have worked. Now instead he had to rely on his equity, and this time he got there and sucked out on your cowboys.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Personally I just fold T8s to an UTG open. But its not that uncommon for people to want to play these "pretty" hands especially on CO and BTN.

Flop
I actually like his bluff. If you are going to call preflop with this sort of hand, the plan has to be to bluff, when you pick up some sort of equity. And here he flopped a gutshot + BDFD. This is not a great draw of course, but for that exact reason he cant just call and try to make his hand. He is not getting the right odds, and you dont have enough stack left for implied odds. Also if he want to be balanced, what hands can he bluff with, that are better than this?

He was just a little unlucky to run into the top of your range. He is not expecting you to fold an overpair, but if you were C-betting with AK, AJ, AT, KQ all that sort of hands, it would be really tough for you to call it off, and his bluff would have worked. Now instead he had to rely on his equity, and this time he got there and sucked out on your cowboys.

Generally, what you write makes sense, but based on this type of tourney - pretty unique, cannot really compare to anything else -, 7max KO with 7min blind levels and the fact it was a shortstack table, except 1 guy, everybody was way under the tourney's average stack, the previous half an hour basically was about someone opened, and behind him another player went preflop allin and got fold or call. Or rarely it was walk for the original opener... he played exactly that, except this hand.
Pretty common in that phase, so he had to know there is a very tiny chance that i will fold anything after my flop bet.

And in deeper phase this bluff makes sense - there are plenty insane ones in this tourney anyway in earlier phases -, but here??? That's okay, he tries to represent some pair - everybody was pushing allins with any pairs, so the set wasn't really an option in his hand -, probably J, but if he gets a call, what he shoud expect as a the best chance for him - based on you play with his cards -, as i opened from UTG, he will get the call with AQo, too, and checked all other options, as i wasnt sure, any over pair, Jx means 80-20% for me on flop, too. A10 means 70-30% the AQ means 65-35% and even originally he didn't have double stack compare to mine...

But mostly because of the structure and dynamics of this tourney, i am sure he knew he will get the call whatever else i have in my hand, and that's why i don't understand...

Attachments

• kk1.jpg
    kk1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 13
  • kk2.jpg
    kk2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It always sucks, when people are bluffing you on the flop or turn, you make a correct call and get it in good, and then they get there and win the hand. But thats part of poker, and there is no reason to overthink the situation :)

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always sucks, when people are bluffing you on the flop or turn, you make a correct call and get it in good, and then they get there and win the hand. But thats part of poker, and there is no reason to overthink the situation :)

Sure, you are right about it, part of poker, but i can't easily get over on days like yesterday, when was in plenty ITM, top 20-40% of ITM, and all went south like this... the 2 outs fall for river, in a preflop allin pair vs. pair situation is "okay", don't care much, get used to it...

But these kind of stuff, when i never ever try to bluff, basically 95%+ they don't fold, don't have any reason why i should even try, so looks totally pointless... and especially, again, not some fish does it, but a regular guy in this tourney, who is even profitable, so he must know it is -EV long term, and still do it again and again...

That's what thought i can't get rid of, generally, not because of this given hand, case... what the hell they think, when they make moves like this vs. opponent under 20-25BB from similar or a bit higher stack, in phases where the significant ITM jumps are very near...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused:

Doesn't matter... points to LB, and today i will try again...:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sure, you are right about it, part of poker, but i can't easily get over on days like yesterday, when was in plenty ITM, top 20-40% of ITM, and all went south like this... the 2 outs fall for river, in a preflop allin pair vs. pair situation is "okay", don't care much, get used to it...

But these kind of stuff, when i never ever try to bluff, basically 95%+ they don't fold, don't have any reason why i should even try, so looks totally pointless... and especially, again, not some fish does it, but a regular guy in this tourney, who is even profitable, so he must know it is -EV long term, and still do it again and again...

That's what thought i can't get rid of, generally, not because of this given hand, case... what the hell they think, when they make moves like this vs. opponent under 20-25BB from similar or a bit higher stack, in phases where the significant ITM jumps are very near...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused:

Doesn't matter... points to LB, and today i will try again...:)

The guy sucked! And I agree.. it doesn't make sense (I think it was a sh1tty spot for him to pick).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

MTTs in particular are a very swingy form of poker, and its totally normal to go on 50 or even 100 buyin downswings. I have had a terrible december especially on 888 Poker, where I have almost stopped counting, how many losing sessions in a row, it has been now. The session, I am about to close out now, I have not even cashed in a single tournament apart from a satellite, where I then failed to cash in the target tournament.

But these kind of stuff, when i never ever try to bluff, basically 95%+ they don't fold, don't have any reason why i should even try, so looks totally pointless...

If you never bluff, then maybe this is actually something, you should take a closer look at, rather than getting frustrated about, how other people play. Its much to simplified to make statements like "they dont fold". Even if we are playing micro and low stakes tournaments, there are plenty of good spots to bluff against the right opponents. Maybe this was not the greatest of spots, he took, but its far from as bad, as you make it sound. Are you really calling off here with AQ getting only 2:1? The majority of tournament players dont.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs in particular are a very swingy form of poker, and its totally normal to go on 50 or even 100 buyin downswings. I have had a terrible december especially on 888 Poker, where I have almost stopped counting, how many losing sessions in a row, it has been now. The session, I am about to close out now, I have not even cashed in a single tournament apart from a satellite, where I then failed to cash in the target tournament.

I know, there are 4-6 tourneys/day with similar field, usually between 800-1300, all the rest just few 100s usually between 100-400 players... no chance to win big, but small swings

+ micro satties for 30-200$ tickets and of course some side event sngs

If you never bluff, then maybe this is actually something, you should take a closer look at, rather than getting frustrated about, how other people play. Its much to simplified to make statements like "they dont fold". Even if we are playing micro and low stakes tournaments, there are plenty of good spots to bluff against the right opponents. Maybe this was not the greatest of spots, he took, but its far from as bad, as you make it sound. Are you really calling off here with AQ getting only 2:1? The majority of tournament players dont.

of course, I bluff sometimes, but not in situation like this, generally not like this, count on what tourney, what stage we were, too, and rarely bluff allin - example this table was good for that -, preflop allin bluffs with any suited connector did few, how i guess everybody, as that was ongoing for half an hour, nothing else...

Yes, on this tourney i call, easily - was sure, he has no pair in his hands, was afraid from 2 pairs J7, but that was less likely, the J is an option also the 7, but only with connectors, like j10, JQ, 67,78 maybe a 109 or Q10 if i would have the A diamond with AQo, i call, 100%, maybe I could fold without diamond, but i doubt that... it is tourney specific opinion, i guess you don't play it or any similar 7max, there are pretty strange actions... at least...

it is a 7max tourney with 7 min blind levels, if i fold i would have 11-12BB the blinds going up 20-25% in this phase, it is almost like a turbo 6max, or similar to that. and i was already under 20BB, and the tourney average was around 45BB, open bet 2,2BB only, because i was UTG, and every 2nd hand someone pushed allin after open bet, so i hoped someone will do it again, and i happy to call with KK... they often push 25-30BB preflop allins here, too... + it is a bounty, already in ITM, but still far from FT, don't really have chance to collect bounties if i fold... (without 2-3 fast double up) so lot of things in play... (there is a weekly tourney leaderboard, where the given tourneys ITM places get points, the only reason i could fold it, it is few more points to that LB, as i relegate a bit later...)

In an 8-9max tourney with 8-12 min blind levels, of course i would fold the AQo... but here I simply don't have time to wait for any playable cards, if after this hand with 12BB i got 20 hands nothing, the blinds eat me and end up play for few BB preallin with a random crap. If i fold anything, example AQo in this situation.

(otherwise AQo, i wouldnt openbet, it would be preflop allin, even if it is UTG, i don't care much, exactly to avoid situations like this, or more likely play a flip or 70-30% for me, as often any Ax calls)