$5.50 NL HE MTT: Could I have escaped or just a cooler?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Unfortunately no proper HH again since mobile App on BOL but this is how the hand went:

I am UTG with 17 BBs and get deals 8c8h.

I min-raise. BN calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop is 5d5h3d.

I'm thinking this is pretty dry and no overs. Blinds check to me, so I bet half pot to take it down. BN folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn is 2s.

Still no overs but some FDs and SDs. SB checks to me. I have less than a pot sized bet left, so I decide to jam. SB calls.

Screenshot 2023 03 13 19 35 53 47 280f49ecfad0573521ef0e125ceb9b19
So I bumped into the nuts. I was double wrong with him not having a five. 🤣
How'd you have played the band?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard raise.

Flop
The effective stack size is short, its a multiway pot, and you are mostly betting for protection against random overcards. For those reasons 50% is a bit on the large side. If BTN is sitting here with a hand like KcJs, he cant really float with two other guys behind him, so a smaller sizing like 30-40% will get the job done. It does not matter that much though, since you are probably going to have to go with your hand, pretty much regardless what happens.

Turn
A4 and 64 gets there, but there are still many hands in SBs range, you beat, and if I do the math correctly, pot is 16BB, and you only have 11BB left. So yeah I jam here as well.

Results
SB went for a setmine out of position with insufficient implied odds and got lucky. Good for him, time to play the next tournament.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
From my experience when SB/BB continue on such a board, it's better to slow down the action. The turn completed the SDs, may be check-back turn and call river if villain value thin and fold if he bomb it.
Preflop I think I would Jam hoping to flip vs some Big cards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
may be check-back turn and call river if villain value thin and fold if he bomb it.
With only 11BB effective left behind and the pot being 16BB there was not much room for Villain to bet small on the river. So most likely a river bet would be a jam. But you do have a point, that this is a reasonable alternative line. And on a particular bad river card like Ad we could fold.
Preflop I think I would Jam hoping to flip vs some Big cards.
We discussed this in another recent thread, and open jamming from UTG for 17BB is +EV with a hand like 88. But a min-raise is the more optimal strategy, even though it did not end well for Hero this time. Getting called in 3 spots is pretty rough, but it wont happen very often at the mid or late stage of a 5,5$ MTT.

Last edited:
ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately no proper HH again since mobile app on BOL but this is how the hand went:

Flop is 5d5h3d.

I'm thinking this is pretty dry and no overs. Blinds check to me, so I bet half pot to take it down. BN folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn is 2s.

Still no overs but some FDs and SDs. SB checks to me. I have less than a pot sized bet left, so I decide to jam. SB calls.

View attachment 326761
With a minimum call, despite the $5.5 buy-in tournament, he could easily have played SB or BB with A,5s or A,4s and yes with 5,5 pairs, but the way you played, I probably would have done the same. :unsure:

iveta777

iveta777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a cooler i think...i go allin preflop but i think 55 call your allin

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is right on the cusp here with this pair strength and being on 17BBs. I think I like min opening here when there are tight players behind me (as a min raise can still take it down knowing if I get raised Im likely behind) and jamming here if there are loose action players left to act. Readless I think you can make a case for either but would probably lean towards the min raise option.
rt
On the flop we get a flop that we just arent folding with the hand we have and only 17 Bigs to start. I like your sizing here because after being called by everyone I want to have some equity denial from the over cards. I also think one of the blinds could come along as there are draws out there so I feel like I can get some extra value from hands that might call just once on the flop and then fold to my turn jam which is what I would have planned no matter what the turn card comes outside of an 8 (since we are so short we know we can get it in on river and gives villain a chance to bluff).

As played turn is a jam as you did and ran into quads (welcome to betonline lol). Nothing really you can do there as you played the hand correctly imo and just happened to run into it.
SB went for a setmine out of position with insufficient implied odds and got lucky. Good for him, time to play the next tournament.
SB looks to a little over 20 BBs to start the hand if I am looking at right. If they can be somewhat sure BB is not jamming over here (maybe hard as they look short stacked) then I think they are getting enough to setmine given the fact that there are already two players in front of them and the pot maybe is something like 6.5 BBs and they need to call 1.5 BBs. Getting 4.3 ish to 1 already (and being 7.5 to 1 to hit a set) with implied odds makes this a call with it being just a min open. Without Button in the hand then it gets closer since the initial price is not as good and you would not have as good a chance of getting paid off should you hit a set like there is when you are going against multiple opponents. Looks like the effective stack for SB against button would be 24 BBs or so.

subluchuk

subluchuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
u could bet smaller on flop ,check turn and hope to get to showdown cheaply.Call a bet on River.But to be honest.I m not sure if i managed to not get broke there

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre depends on big stacks from none blinds. if they big stations pre flop you just jam it in pre to avoid playing oop post flop.
post flop happy stack off on the turn on these stakes. i imagine their range is full of floats and ace highs. most strong overpairs rejam pre.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately no proper HH again since mobile app on BOL but this is how the hand went:

Flop is 5d5h3d.

Turn is 2s.

View attachment 326761
I think your study point is range refinement on turn and balancing our sizing to get value not just win the hand

martinoni

martinoni

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think SB played this hand because his range is ok to play it... But I think there was nothing differently you could do... It's poker man!