$5.5 NLHE STT Turbo: Bubble play with A6o; SB vs. BB

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm second place in chips on the bubble, with chip lead way ahead. BB is short-stacked and playing very tight. Is a steal attempt with A6o a poor play here? I'm thinking that I still need to accumulate chips to be able to play after the bubble, but perhaps this is way too loose of a move at this point in the SnG. Should I just have folded OOP?

Merge - $0+$0.00|<> NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 3,057.00
BB: 1,475.00
UTG: 6,988.00
BTN: 1,980.00

Hero posts SB 100.00, BB posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 300.00) Hero has A 6

fold, fold, Hero raises to 400.00, BB raises to 1,475.00 and is all-in, fold

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure this is a shove pre.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving this every time.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre and print money against any calling range.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am with the rest on this, shove on the SS. I am always putting pressure on short stacks.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree with shove

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you swapped stacks with the BB here, would you raise to 400 and fold to a shove?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with going after the blinds here, but as the others have said, your bet sizing is inappropriate. After the blinds are in the middle, the effective stack size as 1275. When you min-bet, the pot becomes 700. The BB's shove makes it 1975, and it costs you 875 to call, which means pot odds of about 2.2:1.

If we give him a tight shoving range of 20%, A6o is less than a 3:2 dog. So mathematically, you have to call. And when betting means you have to call a shove, you should generally shove first. There's also some chance that he'll call your shove less often than he'll shove over your smaller bet.

The only good play here is to shove pre. Opening smaller, limping and folding are all poor.

I don't expect you to be able to figure out the 2:3 odds at the table, but I do think it's realistic that you should recognize this is a situation where shoving your A6o is +EV against a tight player because of how often he'll fold.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you swapped stacks with the BB here, would you raise to 400 and fold to a shove?

I would shove this every time from the SB if I only had about 6-7 BBs.
And since the BB has that stack size, that is the effective stack.

So, yes, easy shove, now, when I'm slowly thinking about this hand. And I guess I knew it was the wrong play at the time, because I marked the hand for review.

At the time I was very focused on not losing more of my stack because he hadn't been shoving much at all (what I'd see him shove so far--looking back on it now; don't think I checked my notes then-- was AJ and 66).

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove this every time from the SB if I only had about 6-7 BBs.
And since the BB has that stack size, that is the effective stack.

So, yes, easy shove, now, when I'm slowly thinking about this hand. And I guess I knew it was the wrong play at the time, because I marked the hand for review.

At the time I was very focused on not losing more of my stack because he hadn't been shoving much at all (what I'd see him shove so far--looking back on it now; don't think I checked my notes then-- was AJ and 66).

Yep :)

Also, you can shove ridiculously wide in these blind vs blind spots. Like you can probably shove close to 80-90% of hands here, depending on your assumption of BB's calling range.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep :)

Also, you can shove ridiculously wide in these blind vs blind spots. Like you can probably shove close to 80-90% of hands here, depending on your assumption of BB's calling range.

Yes - almost an any two cards spot.