UTG+1: 7,343 (18 bb)
MP: 9,689 (24 bb)
MP+1: 54,848 (137 bb)
CO: 28,751 (72 bb)
BU: 7,823 (20 bb)
SB (Hero): 7,035 (18 bb)
BB: 3,103 (8 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,000) Hero is SB with A 3
4 players fold, CO raises to 800, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to 6,985 (all-in), 2 players fold

Hi!

villian is totally unk. Maybe reg, maybe fish, idk. ICM shows me that vs 40% his opening range I should fold A3o, but vs 50% is be shove.

What do you play in this kind of situation?

Cheers!

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain check ism and found 35% call all in and 65% fold vs your range. And fold.

Action is really depend on tournament stage.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These moves come down to how much you want to gamble with a stack that still has some legs to it and also what you think of the villain. I know you said they are an unknown but I think you have to know something about them to be able to do this move and have confidence in it. How much has villain been opening? Do you think they are a player that will more than likely call or more than likely fold to your jam? Will villain call off here when they have Kx and Qx broadway hands? Those are the questions I would think about before making this move. If villain is one of those players that does not back down from aggression then I dont like this play. Even when they call here and villain has Kx and Qx we are only 60/40 and usually less unless villains x is a 2 or 3. This play is done strictly for fold equity so if you think they fold a lot here then its fine. If not then it is on the spewy side of things.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hard question.

maybe A3s would be a better shove and a A8o+ it all depends on your opponent range we can try to figure out base on the position and looking on his information.

a re-steal is very likeble to your stack and don't think it was a bad desision at all. I hope you ve resteal the blinds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if Villain was unknown, we do have one very relevant piece of information here, which is his stack size. He has a huge stack, and typically that mean, people are much more willing to get in there and gamble a bit. When I tried to teach a friend to play poker, he kind of intuitively understood this. "There is no fear factor here" he used to say. And thats exactly the point. Calling and losing wont change this players situation in any significant way, so you should expect very little fold equity. And obivously if you are going to rejam a hand like A3o, you want folds. You are not happy, if the guy makes a poor call with 44 and actually have you dominated.

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These moves come down to how much you want to gamble with a stack that still has some legs to it and also what you think of the villain. I know you said they are an unknown but I think you have to know something about them to be able to do this move and have confidence in it. How much has villain been opening? Do you think they are a player that will more than likely call or more than likely fold to your jam? Will villain call off here when they have Kx and Qx broadway hands? Those are the questions I would think about before making this move. If villain is one of those players that does not back down from aggression then I dont like this play. Even when they call here and villain has Kx and Qx we are only 60/40 and usually less unless villains x is a 2 or 3. This play is done strictly for fold equity so if you think they fold a lot here then its fine. If not then it is on the spewy side of things.

Thank you! It's very wise analyse and words, I appreciate :) But what can I say, that actually a lots people prefer just fold and wait for better hand to stackoff with. I just don't know about what he could calls here, but what I conclude is better to fold vs no info or residual info.

Even if Villain was unknown, we do have one very relevant piece of information here, which is his stack size. He has a huge stack, and typically that mean, people are much more willing to get in there and gamble a bit. When I tried to teach a friend to play poker, he kind of intuitively understood this. "There is no fear factor here" he used to say. And thats exactly the point. Calling and losing wont change this players situation in any significant way, so you should expect very little fold equity. And obivously if you are going to rejam a hand like A3o, you want folds. You are not happy, if the guy makes a poor call with 44 and actually have you dominated.

"There is no fear factor here" - that's the clue I think :D Even I sometimes with big stack have a tendency to call wider than I should...
Thanks!

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard question.

maybe A3s would be a better shove and a A8o+ it all depends on your opponent range we can try to figure out base on the position and looking on his information.

a re-steal is very likeble to your stack and don't think it was a bad desision at all. I hope you ve resteal the blinds.

Vs blinds will be better, but vs CO not so much. Right now I think it should be just fold without any info for villians.

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 18bb I prefer to wait a better hand to double up. The vilain with 72bb will call a lot and A3o is not that good.

Folding in Poker