$5.5 NLHE MTT: Playing versus jammy maniacs

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never normally rebuy but playing versus this maniac has been infuriating and I did. How can you play against players like this?

Same winner each time in the links:
Hand 1: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1Ig9hD
Hand 2: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1Ig9rK

And there's been other hands like it. Same thing, going all in with crap and just hitting the outs wiping players with much better hands out.

How to play versus like this? Go big against them with good hands and hope that this time they don't hit their outs? Or something else?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never normally rebuy but playing versus this maniac has been infuriating and I did. How can you play against players like this?

Same winner each time in the links:
Hand 1: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1Ig9hD
Hand 2: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1Ig9rK

And there's been other hands like it. Same thing, going all in with crap and just hitting the outs wiping players with much better hands out.

How to play versus like this? Go big against them with good hands and hope that this time they don't hit their outs? Or something else?

Thank you for posting

Both hands above were all-in preflop the only thing we can ever do is have more equity than the maniac. That said if you had the KQ you had 59% vs maniac 37% vs both-UTG 5 ways that might be a fold not open with the maniac left to act.
As played you seem to be letting the cards the maniac won with tilt you. Maniacs win like this it is part of the game- we need to have that mindset or we will start to overcompensate.

Hand 2 if you are the A6off the action of raising is 100% incorrect. Why? The maniac is playing low suited hands for stacks that means they may understand full range equity. The raise allows the maniac to shove and we have one of the worst Ax hands so we have to fold. Maniacs will limp AA AK etc expecting to be raised.

Our skill advantage means we adapt to our Villains actions we must expect the shove any time a maniac enters into a pot limp or raise.

It is these experiences that help us to understand how strong a mental game we need to survive and thrive in poker. Maniacs will tilt us if we think but how can they play……and win? This is poker not chess maniacs get to win.

Keep working on your skills including your mental preparation and when it happens again it will mean nothing other than a player getting lucky.

Hope this helps
:):)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be infuriating, and quite expensive if you do rebuy. If your good hands hold (and they often will) these players can also be a great source of free chips.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just don’t let it tilt you. Once you’re tilted, you won’t play as well. Try to trap them and not put so much in preflop, if you can.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, the main thing is to not let loose play tilt you. In the first hand you open jammed with KQo for around 13BB, got called in two spots and lost to the worst hand. But as long as the jam was good, it does not matter, what people called you with. We should actually be happy, when someone is willing to call with bad hands, because in the long run they can not defy math.

In the second hand the opponent had limped, and you had A6o in SB and decided to isolate. This is a bit to aggressive in my opinion. You were out of position with one of the worst possible AX hands, and the limper is probably not planning on doing a lot of limp folding, given that he just called a 13BB all-in with a small suited connector. So you are just bloating the pot against him with a hand, thats pretty rough to play out of position.

And of course you are also losing more, when BB wakes up with a hand and 3-bet. So for me I would much rather just complete and hope, that BB knock his option, so I can see a cheap flop. In this situation BB would obviously have put in a big raise, so I would still have ended up folding, but I would only have lost 100 chips rather than 700.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really a maniac but this one made me laugh out loud and actually feel sorry for the pushers. I suppose the danger here for them is they didn't have enough to push the BB off defending his BB and technically his 20% equity does actually make this pretty close to a value call doesn't it?

888Poker, $0.91 + $0.09 - Hold'em No Limit - 500/1,000 (100 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 19,018 (19 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): 22,998 (23 bb)
MP: 10,434 (10 bb)
MP+1: 11,585 (12 bb)
CO: 2,396 (2 bb)
BU: 6,048 (6 bb)
SB: 3,690 (4 bb)
BB: 17,674 (18 bb)

Pre-Flop: (2,300) Hero is UTG+1 with J 2
1 fold, UTG+1 (Hero) folds, 2 players fold, CO raises to 2,296 (all-in), 1 fold, SB 3-bets to 3,590 (all-in), BB calls 2,590

Flop: (10,276) K Q J (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (10,276) J (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (10,276) 3 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 10,276

Showdown:
SB shows 8 A (a pair of Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 24%, Flop: 35%, Turn: 45%, River: 0%)

CO shows A 9 (a pair of Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 51%, Turn: 48%, River: 0%)

BB shows 8 3 (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 20%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 7%, River: 100%)

BB wins 10,276

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is just part of playing micros. at times nothing mskes sense and you just gotta stay on the path.