$5.5 NLHE MTT: PKO! Shove any2 vs SB limp?

L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to hear some general words about how u guys handle SB limps in the BB deep in a MTT.
The actual Hand was played at the FT-Bubble in a fast PKO tournament.

888 Poker - 60000/120000 Ante 15000 NL - Holdem - 5 players

Hero (BB): 15.86 BB
UTG: 19.1 BB (VPIP: 7.29, PFR: 4.49, 3Bet Preflop: 6.45, hands: 96)
CO: 34.36 BB (VPIP: 21.15, PFR: 16.33, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 52)
BTN: 6.66 BB (VPIP: 20.10, PFR: 14.03, 3Bet Preflop: 3.18, Hands: 414)
SB: 13.38 BB (VPIP: 15.04, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 7.50, Hands: 135)

5 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.13 BB) Hero has 9:club: 5:spade:

fold, fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero raises to 15.74 BB and is all-in,
SB calls 12.26 BB and is all-in

Flop: (27.14 BB, 2 players) 8:heart: K:club: 7:heart:

Turn: (27.14 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:

River: (27.14 BB, 2 players) 9:spade:

Hero shows 9:club: 5:spade: (One Pair, Nines)
(Pre 15%, Flop 19%, Turn 9%)
SB shows A:diamond: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 85%, Flop 81%, Turn 91%)
SB wins 27.14 BB

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a fan of the 'any two' shove over the top here, pretty awful hole cards. You're about 43% underdog against any random starting hand. Vs the top 50% of hands you are behind 33% to 67%! Just seems like gambling with bad odds to me.

With junk I just check these spots.

If you were to shove with about the top 26% of starting hands you are going to be ahead 56% to 44%, add in some fold equity and that is a much better situation.

Interested in what some others have to say here, it is around that short stack area where I'm still trying to really get my strategy tight.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the size of the KO.

If they have a large KO can certainly jam any 2, if its a small ko then play it normally.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This guy, is not playing to many hands. While i don't mind the shove with playable hands this is not one I would would shove. 94o i would have just checked behind and hope to hit the flop.I would prefer a suited connector.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imagine your opponent has the same strategy or read the same book as you. if he knows you're going to shove any two if he limps, hes only going to limp hands he's willing to push. he'll bet hands that he's willing to have you call or fold.

you can see a flop for free with a hand that's hardly worth the cards they are printed on. you would know whether you beat anything or not, then you can play it. if you want to shove with a certain percentage, make it hands that at least play well with others. he's only calling with good high hands top pairs, etc so shove with your hands that can beat or compete with them, not ones that are dominated by literally every hand that calls you.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the size of the KO.

If they have a large KO can certainly jam any 2, if its a small ko then play it normally.

Yeah I think this is pretty crucial. And given that we are on the final two tables, it would have to be an abnormally large KO to make it worth it to play substantially differently since we should now be at the stage of the tournament where the pay jumps matter, and making it to the top few spots is the difference often between a close to breakeven day, and a really really good day.

Without more info on the KO I can't give specifics, but I'd say definitely in the BB I'd adjust LESS than if I was in the SB and covered the BB, in which case I'd adjust more aggressively. My thinking is that I'll be OOP in the hand if I'm the SB and even though we're quite short, this is relevant.

Either way it's definitely KO-dependent, and for sure I'm not jamming 95o if this is a non PKO or if the person's KO is small.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I think you shouldn't pay attention to bounty since you are very short. In shis spot surviving or accumulating chips are more important than getting ko and winning bounties.

Also, lol at random allin for no reason. With 13 bb it is super common to limp from SB, it doesn't mean weakness necessarily. Also, btn is 6bb, so SB knows that if he shoves you are calling with a very tight range. That's even more reason for him to trap with strong hands. In this spot your all ins should be some Ax hands, some Kx hands, some Qx hands and small pocket pairs. Total around 20%.