D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I feel I played correctly here. However, the tournament was on bubble time and there were 6 players left, so there were some other lines that I was considering:
1. Instead of 3Bet and calling 4bet, I would 3bet all in to denied his equity and won a small pot if he folded his hand.
2. Calling and pot controlling.
3. Folding.

What is your opinion about this situation?
Thanks for your comments.

Bubble time. There were 6 players left.

Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 72,200 (72 bb)
UTG+1: 38,640 (39 bb)
MP: 22,350 (22 bb)
MP+1: 13,680 (14 bb)
CO: 28,550 (29 bb)
BU: 34,300 (34 bb)
SB: 11,500 (12 bb)
BB (Hero): 27,200 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,100) Hero is BB with A A
UTG raises to 3,000, 6 players fold, Hero 3-bets to 9,000, UTG 4-bets to 72,000 (all-in), Hero calls 18,000 (all-in)

Flop: (56,100) 8 T K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (56,100) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (56,100) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 56,100

Showdown:
UTG shows K Q (three of a kind, Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows A A (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

UTG wins 56,100

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A 27BB stack is right on the line between 3-bet jamming and 3-betting to a size, which allow you to fold to a 4-bet with the bottom of your range. This is especially true, when Villain open raise to 3BB, which for a tournament is a rather large size.

With that being said with AA I would certainly lean towards making the smallish 3-bet, since you definitely want action, which you got. You induced Villain to go crazy with KQs, which was the absolutely perfect result.

To be honest this look like one of those hands, where you only have questions, because the runout was bad. If you had jammed, KQs would probably have folded, which would have been a way worse result than getting it in with 82% equity.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at that point I would 3 bet jam and be done with it. If he still calls with KQ, then you got very unlucky and he played very badly.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would lean towards the jamming side instead of 3 betting to a smaller amount for a few reasons. One is that jamming here looks weaker than if you were to 3 bet smaller. Secondly, you can't 3 bet much less than 8k without raising eyebrows and in doing so you would be putting in close to 1/3rd of your stack. If your opponent is competent (not sure if you had any reads on them but this is the final table I think you said so they should have some skill) they will see that you are putting in a 1/3rd of your stack pre and mean business. They should know that you are never folding and should know that you should not be doing this with a weak hand.

To me your 3 bet small range should be very small with big pocket pairs making up a large part of that range. Your jamming range there could be as light as 88 which might be enough to make the suited broadway type hands call. Obviously seeing the results your play worked better but I think more of the time a jam will get more calls than a smaller 3 bet even though that is counter intuitive.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
Thank you for your advice.

Probably I think I made something not clear here. Some words could be confusing. It was not the final table bubble and I was waiting for 6 players to be eliminated to get ITM.

And with all your opinions, I think if I want to play all my chips, jamming with this stack is better than 3beting, especially his bet size is big and I am at BB, it looks very suspicious (I mean they often call rather than 3bet at BB if they don't have a very strong hand). In this situation, he had a very big stack so he didn't care and wanted to gamble with KQs.

Thanks again for your help.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is true, that a jam all in can look more bluffy. On the other site raising 3X OOP gives Villain a very tempting price to call. At the end of the day its all about, which line generate most mistakes from Villain, and depending on history and dynamics jamming and 3-betting to 3X can both be fine. I guess even flat calling can be fine from time to time, if Villain is really spewy postflop.

K

Kush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that raising to 9000 looks really strong. Your basically committing yourself with 1/3rd of your stack. In this case, the guy went nuts with KQ so I guess it worked out, besides the terrible run out. I'm sure there was literally no way you could win that hand. I bet he would have called your jam pre flop and was never gonna fold on that flop... tough luck.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I know that feeling when you hold aces near the bubble and no matter how you play it you'll be busted out. Here choosing to just call and going all in will bust you out. Opponent is not folding here no matter what you do. Unless you fold preflop. This is just the swing of poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just the swing of poker.

It is, and this is why, its so important to have a long term view on poker. We WANT people to make bad calls or wild bluffs against us. And of course when they do, they will sometimes realise their equity, because its rare in poker, that someone is drawing completely dead.

But as long as we get it in ahead, then everything is good, and we actually won, just not this particular time. Even when we get it in bad, everything is still good, if we made a long term profitable play. Maybe we rejammed AQ with a 18BB stack and ran into AK, and that is just a standard cooler, that we could not get away from.

I just busted in 6 tournaments this morning, and most of it was due to bad beats usually performed by bad players. In one tournament a fish limped in from EP with 18BB, small blind completed, and I jammed AQ from big blind. Fish called with 53s and got his dubble up. Few hands later I jammed TT for my last 9BB, small blind called, fish overcalled in big blind with A8 and won the rest of my chips.

The natural reaction to something like this is to get mad and want to type something in the chat like "OMG how can you call with 53s and A8, you are so bad at poker". But as I said already, this is exactly, what we want, because when other players make mistakes like this, we win in the long run.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I feel I played correctly here. However, the tournament was on bubble time and there were 6 players left, so there were some other lines that I was considering:
1. Instead of 3Bet and calling 4bet, I would 3bet all in to denied his equity and won a small pot if he folded his hand.
2. Calling and pot controlling.
3. Folding.

What is your opinion about this situation?
Thanks for your comments.

Bubble time. There were 6 players left.

Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 72,200 (72 bb)
UTG+1: 38,640 (39 bb)
MP: 22,350 (22 bb)
MP+1: 13,680 (14 bb)
CO: 28,550 (29 bb)
BU: 34,300 (34 bb)
SB: 11,500 (12 bb)
BB (Hero): 27,200 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,100) Hero is BB with A A
UTG raises to 3,000, 6 players fold, Hero 3-bets to 9,000, UTG 4-bets to 72,000 (all-in), Hero calls 18,000 (all-in)

Flop: (56,100) 8 T K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (56,100) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (56,100) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 56,100

Showdown:
UTG shows K Q (three of a kind, Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows A A (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

UTG wins 56,100

Hello,

Either line would have been acceptable. Unfortunately the aces were cracked by a worse hand. That was a profitable play and I recommend you continue to play that situation the same way