$5.5 NLHE MTT Bounty: Late stage and sleepy!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
https://www.boomplayer.com/29621324_2F8884FBBE
Nice progresive winter's tournament. Villain LAG bigstack. My stack in top 3 place. I played LAG and from XX level I changed to rocky. I was sleepy and distracted in this phaze and this JJ hurt! :( I felt that it went too far and it will be bad! How do you play this?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop is obviously fine, although I would go slightly smaller size.

On the flop though, why you decided to check raise? Your hand is not strong enough to play 200bb pot. You have much better hands to check raise for value, sets, A4 and even 64 suited. You can not check raise every over pair, simply because overpairs are not strong enough. Correct play was to c-bet for value. As you checked and villain bets, you should have just called, as I repeat again it's not good enough for value bet. After villain's reraise though I would seriously consider folding. Villain would play only straights and sets this way, maybe with some straight draws as value bets. JJ is very bottom of check raising range, you have sets and straights in your check raising range and AA, which is at least blocks A4. Still I think call is viable, simply because villain's re-raise was very small. Your all in though is painful to watch. What you expect villain to call with? How you see villain's range? Clearly you won't be called by anything weaker than pair of JJ here. Villain maybe doesn't even have anything weaker than jacks. You just spewed away great chance to win it, but honestly you deserved it.

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No easy answers

Hiya lilu80,

Yeah, these are the spots that give us nightmares. It sounds like you regretted your play once the cards ran out, and you mentioned you were tired which may have affected your decision making process. With 20/20 hindsight, correct play seems all too obvious. But.

I would dwell on this hand over the next several days. There are a number of different ways you can imagine playing this hand. These are the opportunities to really analyse what you did and what you might do differently in the future. These are the types of hands and situations that make poker fascinating and give one the opportunity to find conventional plays, but also possibly approach the situation in novel ways.

I have come to only one concrete decision about poker analysis. Every and each hand depends on the situation at one moment in time. There might be a general approach in the way we should play various types of hands, but we need to be able to adapt to each new situation based upon our chips counts, the type of villan(s) in the hand, their bluffing frequency, if the bluff story is realistic, etc. Can I come up with a coherent strategy to counter the entire situation in the future? The hand is water under the bridge but you can still profit from the situation.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hero got set-mined. It happens. Key is learning when to get away from the deceptive overpair. Even aces would be no good here. In this kind of situation, fold to the raise. You're not going to be improving much with Jacks to warrant your all in.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally I'd just be cbetting the flop. But the check raise it's fine. However once you get 3bet, you should not be fist pumping. You certainly should never be 4betting the flop with jacks.

Just call. At this point you are praying villain can spazz with 88 or a bluff but that's super unlikely and those hands almost ALAWYS fold to more action.

Once you guys put in several more raises, he basically always has a set or straight imo.

O

oreleo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many chips bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be able to found here fold. You can't lose here everthing.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many chips bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be able to found here fold. You can't lose here everthing.

Absolutely second this. The biggest stack at the table did flat your raise...smaller pairs should be in their range here...you're check raise on the flop getting reraised should have screamed a monster hand, one not scared of overpairs. I think you find the fold and live to get it in later

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
114bb are too many chips to gamble your whole stack with JJ,
If you had controlled the pot from the beginning perhaps had not lost all your chips.

I do not understand your OR X3, with the size of BB, regularly opens X2.1 X2.2 X2

also do not understand your chek-raise, I think it would have been better to c-bet to get information out of the villain, if the villan makes call a dry flop, is that it has a good hand.
If the villain can play, he will not do raise on the flop, to hide his set.

When you check raise 127,000 the villain will only call you with hands that beat you.
Hands you won on that flop, are A4, 33, 22, 55, the villain will never do push with those hands, what he wants is to get you chips.

When you do your check-raise, he knows that you have JJ +, and know that you are paying for.

Well it's easy to talk from outside, yesterday lost a similar hand in ACR, a freeroll, not to control the pot, I lost AK vs 44. :)

gI :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you check raise 127,000 the villain will only call you with hands that beat you.
Hands you won on that flop, are A4, 33, 22, 55, the villain will never do push with those hands, what he wants is to get you chips.

Solid advice - when i watched the video and he 3bet your check raise - i was almost sure he flatted with 55 or 33. Maybe he was getting loose with a suited A4 but thats the only way i see that happening...small pair seemed more likely - and i think given the preflop action they almost never show up with QQ, KK or AA, they would have 3bet you preflop as well.

Again, the 3bet to your check raise screams a bigger better hand, time to make a disciplined fold

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You`ve got 3bet on the flop. Its always nuts. Why you push? You must call and will look at size of bet and runout on the turn.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both played the way they should have. This is a flip.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ouch.. that was hard to watch.. I never have luck with JJ.. therefore I always tend to just limp in with them..