$5.5 NLHE MTT: 3 player Ace vs 2nd King on Turn

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was happy with the flop and felt I was in the lead on the flop, I doubted anyone had AK as I thought they'd be more aggressive if they did, but only called because there was already some action.

Was cursing when the second K came down on the Turn and BB shoved. I fell for the notion he probably had the K so folded. I thought KQ or similar certainly could be in range.

Was cursing even more when the cards were shown and I would have dominated. Lost a fair amount of chips when had I called I should have tripled up.

To make matters worse after this hand I got a bit tilt-y and was eliminated 4 hands later when someone flopped a straight versus my AJ.

Looking back I think I should have 3-betted on the Flop so avoiding the Turn. Or did I play this right despite the result?

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 100/200 (20 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 4,673 (23 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): 6,766 (34 bb)
MP: 3,700 (19 bb)
MP+1: 2,896 (14 bb)
CO: 6,615 (33 bb)
BU: 15,137 (76 bb)
SB: 4,960 (25 bb)
BB: 5,427 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (460) Hero is UTG+1 with A Q
1 fold, Hero raises to 600, 1 fold, MP+1 calls 600, 2 players fold, SB calls 500, BB calls 400

Flop: (2,560) K A 9 (4 players)
SB bets 844, BB calls 844, Hero calls 844, MP+1 folds

Turn: (5,092) K (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets 3,963 (all-in), UTG+1 (Hero) folds, SB calls 3,496 (all-in)

River: (12,084) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 12,084

Showdown:
BB shows 7 A (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 61%, Flop: 55%, Turn: 50%, River: 50%)

SB shows A 4 (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 39%, Flop: 45%, Turn: 50%, River: 50%)

BB wins 6,042
SB wins 6,042

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open but with an effective stack of 34BB and even less against several of the opponents I prefer to use a smaller sizing like 2,2-2,5BB for the reasons, I mentioned in a previous post.

Flop
Great flop for our hand and range, and SB leads out for around 1/3 pot, which is pretty fishy. The SPR is only around two, and there are not many hands in their range, we lose to. AA, KK and AK usually 3-bet pre, so we are only behind, if they have A9 or 99. There are only 9 combos of those hands, and I dont think, they always play like this. So I feel very comfortable about AQ, and with so little chips behind I think, we should just jam and get it in now. I dont see just calling inducing more mistakes from them, and there are some turn cards, which can make our decisions more complicated.

Turn
Not a good turn card or a good action, since its entirely possible, BB could have a K and call on the flop getting such a good price. Especially when we have an A, we always need to consider, that maybe someone continued with second or third pair. So as played I dont blame you for folding, even though it turned out, that you unfortunately folded the best hand.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise the opponent's donk. But if he would have played a push in response to the raise, then I would have thought that he might have a set of nines, two pairs of A9 or K9 and maybe would have dropped.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Standard open but with an effective stack of 34BB and even less against several of the opponents I prefer to use a smaller sizing like 2,2-2,5BB for the reasons, I mentioned in a previous post.

Flop
Great flop for our hand and range, and SB leads out for around 1/3 pot, which is pretty fishy. The SPR is only around two, and there are not many hands in their range, we lose to. AA, KK and AK usually 3-bet pre, so we are only behind, if they have A9 or 99. There are only 9 combos of those hands, and I dont think, they always play like this. So I feel very comfortable about AQ, and with so little chips behind I think, we should just jam and get it in now. I dont see just calling inducing more mistakes from them, and there are some turn cards, which can make our decisions more complicated.

Turn
Not a good turn card or a good action, since its entirely possible, BB could have a K and call on the flop getting such a good price. Especially when we have an A, we always need to consider, that maybe someone continued with second or third pair. So as played I dont blame you for folding, even though it turned out, that you unfortunately folded the best hand.
Thanks. There's been a couple of hands now where you've said you would have jammed, and that was my thought afterwards that I made a mistake in not jamming sooner.

I'm always a bit wary, if I don't have <10BBs of jamming before the river as it risks everything and there's no way to undo that decision but I think I need to be braver to actually do so post-flop more often.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was happy with the flop and felt I was in the lead on the flop, I doubted anyone had AK as I thought they'd be more aggressive if they did, but only called because there was already some action.

Was cursing when the second K came down on the Turn and BB shoved. I fell for the notion he probably had the K so folded. I thought KQ or similar certainly could be in range.

Was cursing even more when the cards were shown and I would have dominated. Lost a fair amount of chips when had I called I should have tripled up.

To make matters worse after this hand I got a bit tilt-y and was eliminated 4 hands later when someone flopped a straight versus my AJ.

Looking back I think I should have 3-betted on the Flop so avoiding the Turn. Or did I play this right despite the result?

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 100/200 (20 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 4,673 (23 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): 6,766 (34 bb)
MP: 3,700 (19 bb)
MP+1: 2,896 (14 bb)
CO: 6,615 (33 bb)
BU: 15,137 (76 bb)
SB: 4,960 (25 bb)
BB: 5,427 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (460) Hero is UTG+1 with A Q
1 fold, Hero raises to 600, 1 fold, MP+1 calls 600, 2 players fold, SB calls 500, BB calls 400

Flop: (2,560) K A 9 (4 players)
SB bets 844, BB calls 844, Hero calls 844, MP+1 folds

Turn: (5,092) K (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets 3,963 (all-in), UTG+1 (Hero) folds, SB calls 3,496 (all-in)

River: (12,084) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 12,084

Showdown:
BB shows 7 A (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 61%, Flop: 55%, Turn: 50%, River: 50%)

SB shows A 4 (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 39%, Flop: 45%, Turn: 50%, River: 50%)

BB wins 6,042
SB wins 6,042

Thank you for posting

The key to this post is you knowing you went on tilt because you saw that you would have won the hand. Fixing that issue is worth way more EV than shoving on the flop.
Jared Tendler has 2 great books titled Mental Game of Poker they are worth the money

Hope this helps
:):)