natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In the BB with blinds 10,000 / 20,000 ante 20,000 and Big Blind ante.

Just won 3 great hands in a row and chipped up from 76,000 TC to about 600,00 TC.
In seat 10 and dealt A,A ,

UTG goes all in for about 200,000 TC, fold, fold, fold, fold, seat 6, who has about 800,000 TC calls, fold, fold, fold,
Is the correct move a call or a shove?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is an interesting question in the absence of ICM considerations. I think either play is reasonable and all the chips are going in the middle regardless before or by the river here.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did someone just flat call 25% of their stack? Strange, they may fold if you go all in so....

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d shove here. I wouldn’t want some weak hand to get there. Also he might have Ax and call and then you’re in a great dominating spot.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove for me... If he folds you isolate first player for 400k gain risking 200 and reduce chance of lossing hand and if he calls you made 200k in chips just by beating him...

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice work getting that deep in the Colossus!
I agree with most others that shoving is best here. In part, it's definitely not a disaster if he folds and becomes dead money after putting in so much of the effective stack. But you just calling pre-flop also allows him to get away from flops he doesn't like. A player with AK, for example, will probably call off the extra 400k chips pre-flop facing a shove, but will have the chance to get away from a low card flop if you just call pre.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the comments. I figured it would be best to isolate the shortstack, and, if seat 6 called I still have the best hand pre.

I did shove and after several minutes seat 6 folded and showed A,J, same as seat 1! The aces held and I was up to over 1 million chips.

As the hand played out, there was a Jack on the turn and I thought to myself, if I had just called, with the Jack on the turn, I may have gotten another 400K from seat 6 after that card. I'll still take the result as it was.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with AA pocket pairs is not to shove or not shove preflop, but to ensure that someone else is active in trading. And if the guys themselves offer to dine at their expense, definitely all-in.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Job getting that far in the tournament!

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t want some weak hand to get there
I doubt that he is calling a 10bb shove for a quater of his stack with a weak hand

Thanks for the comments. I figured it would be best to isolate the shortstack, and, if seat 6 called I still have the best hand pre.

I did shove and after several minutes seat 6 folded and showed A,J, same as seat 1! The aces held and I was up to over 1 million chips.

As the hand played out, there was a Jack on the turn and I thought to myself, if I had just called, with the Jack on the turn, I may have gotten another 400K from seat 6 after that card. I'll still take the result as it was.

there is no Need to slow roll, shoving is fine because he is getting the Right Price to call with a lot of Hands.
200k+200k+600k+50k+400k= 1450k
400k to call so he Needs ~27.6%
AJo vs 30bb shove was too weak, so a good fold from him.

Looking at it from Seat6 perspective it's also an interesting Hand. Sould he fold pre against UTG 10bb shove? Should he reshove to iso or just call with the Intention to fold to a reshove? Also very tricky, but I think he played it very well with call/fold.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands