$40 NLHE MTT: $£40 NLHE MTT: Another lovely hand with Jacks.

P

peskey123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok live "megastack" tourney in London. I have around 24k blinds 300/600. Folded to villain in cut off who raises to 1500 and I decide to flat on the button with JJ, as I think he is opening light and if I 3 bet he will fold many hands that I crush which could hit a flop bit still be worse than my hand. Also if I 3 bet I think he can 4 bet reasonably light and put me in a tricky spot and I'd probably end up folding.

Flop 7 5 2 rainbow. He checks I bet quite a big near pot sized bet around 3k. He calls saying "that was a big bet".

Turn 9. He leads 7.5k. I flat.

Pot around 25k. I have 12kish left.

River A. No flushes out there. He leads 7.5k again.

I tank and call and then muck.

Reads on villain. Aggressive player. Seen him 3bet lots pre flop and take down pots with some good moves. Very good player IMO.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure what you're asking? You called and lost. Are you asking if this was a correct play?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm confused - if villain is a very good player is he really going to pay us off that often after flopping something that we still beat? And if he's capable of four-bet shoving on us light preflop would that really be such a bad thing given that we've only got 40BB?

Obviously all this can be influenced a lot by tournament factors and table dynamics but in general I think I raise this preflop - if villain folds then so be it, we've picked up a few chips and probably saved ourselves some difficult postflop spots, plus we'll have made it much harder for either of the blinds to tag along and make our lives difficult. If villain calls us then bigger pot = easier to get stacks in if we so choose on the flop and if villain four-bets us preflop (does he have us covered BTW?) then I'm still wondering if calling would be such a bad thing given stack sizes and reads.

As played, villain's action looks a lot like he's just floated the flop with the intention of pushing you off on the turn and most of the time I'd be happy just to shove over his turn bet.

P

peskey123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
97o

:(

Ye I played it awfully really. Ah will, live and learn.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bet pre 100%, especially when you are going to be completely lost with shallow stacks postflop.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either 3bet/call or jam over when he leads the turn, I don't mind either

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either 3bet/call or jam over when he leads the turn, I don't mind either

Ok but here's the thing I don't get about this hand, if the player is good, and he's flatting our hand (Making Comments about our Bet size)...Then on the Turn betting into us....Shouldn't we be folding this hand all-together? If He's aggressive+Bluffy sure I Don't see a problem with this approach on the turn....Yet if that's not how he is, then shouldn't we be Folding and/or taking a passive line? Also why make Pot size bets on Weak boards that don't help out good players? Did you want the fold?

Also we have to think about what hand flats a pot size bet on the flop/Leads out on the Turn...And makes value river raise? That we can beat? I may be wrong but giving the way the hand played out I'd say Set... I can't see AK/AQ/AJ flatting pot size bets leading on turn...I can't see QQ+ taking the same line as it would want to get all the money in A.S.A.P

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
ez peezy > fold turn,... he has 2pr. :)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok but here's the thing I don't get about this hand, if the player is good, and he's flatting our hand (Making Comments about our Bet size)...Then on the Turn betting into us....Shouldn't we be folding this hand all-together? If He's aggressive+Bluffy sure I Don't see a problem with this approach on the turn....Yet if that's not how he is, then shouldn't we be Folding and/or taking a passive line? Also why make Pot size bets on Weak boards that don't help out good players? Did you want the fold?

Also we have to think about what hand flats a pot size bet on the flop/Leads out on the Turn...And makes value river raise? That we can beat? I may be wrong but giving the way the hand played out I'd say Set... I can't see AK/AQ/AJ flatting pot size bets leading on turn...I can't see QQ+ taking the same line as it would want to get all the money in A.S.A.P

Will write more later but turn we are calling 12k to win 35k with an overpair :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands