Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Villain had been playing pretty tight. I was able to steal my fair share of blinds because of it. But still, seemed to be a solid player.

Looking back over this, I'm pretty sure how I should have played it. Just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.

Stacks: - juiceeQ with 58072 - BCOBRA with 49458 - skfar_away with 162470

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds: 1500/3000
Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to juiceeQ:
8h.gif
8c.gif

* - Sklansky group 4
Preflop: BCOBRA raises 6000 to 9000
* - juiceeQ calls [6000]
* - Folds: 1
* - Potsize: 19500
Flop:
6s.gif
9d.gif
3h.gif

* - juiceeQ bets [15000] BCOBRA raises 25158 to 40158 [ all-in ]

Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think he either flopped trips or had an over pair but only 3x bb dont sound much of an overpair top me, i dunno... it would be very difficult to fold in that situation with that flop as well.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-handed with those stack sizes, I'm most probably just shoving PF unless he's only raising with premiums (which I doubt, 3-handed).

As played (which is fine too IMO), we probably have to fold to what is most likely an overpair unless he's ballsy enough to do this with overcards, which I doubt if he's a tag.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-handed with those stack sizes, I'm most probably just shoving PF unless he's only raising with premiums (which I doubt, 3-handed).

As played (which is fine too IMO), we probably have to fold to what is most likely an overpair unless he's ballsy enough to do this with overcards, which I doubt if he's a tag.

^ This.

Unless you have a read on villain as the nittiest nit that ever nitted, you have to shove preflop here. Given villain's 3*BB pf raise, your stack size is not far off perfect (it's a little big, but still perfectly reasonable) for a 'resteal' shove here. We're not worried about the bigstack left to act because he really can't call without a huge hand (it's worth saying that calling preflop as you did here could leave you open to a squeeze if the bigstack is decent, too).

So yeah, shove pf, as played fold to the flop raise. Villain can't think he has much fold equity after your flop lead, so it's more likely he has a strong hand that beats your 88 and less likely that he's bluffing, and as he's been marked as tight it's unlikely he's overplaying a weak hand.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting to see the comments. I was watching but didn't know JQ's cards obv. A lot of 3x raises taking pots, very little preflop shoving unless the stack was down to 5-6 BBs (or an unwarranted AA shove preflop).

One consideration that is missing; JQ was much more aggressive than any of the others from about 6 handed on down, taking blinds preflop and willing to take stabs at pots.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting to see the comments. I was watching but didn't know JQ's cards obv. A lot of 3x raises taking pots, very little preflop shoving unless the stack was down to 5-6 BBs (or an unwarranted AA shove preflop).

One consideration that is missing; JQ was much more aggressive than any of the others from about 6 handed on down, taking blinds preflop and willing to take stabs at pots.
Yeah. Looking back over the hand, and with the TAG way this guy was playing, his raise shows he definitely had strength. Shoving probably would have been the end of me right there.

As played, I decided to wait for a better spot, and folded. I asked him if he had a high pair, and he made the classic response, "I don't remember." :p

Last edited:
V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you could've bet less on that flop. That's about the least coordinated flop I've ever seen, so if he raises under almost any circumstances, you're toast. I'd bet 10K.

Probably best to shove preflop, too. I think you're just asking for trouble trying to play 88 out of position in a huge pot. A preflop shove will take down the pot and give you a nice boost a lot of the time. Sometimes you're going to be called and be in OK shape, too.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like shoving PF -- tough to raise since you will have half your stack in with a decent 3 bet. If you plan to fold to a raise on the flop then I'd bea little less, like 1OK.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm most probably just shoving PF unless he's only raising with premiums

Dorkus Malorkus;633978So yeah said:
Probably best to shove preflop, too.

good fold, but I still shove PF

I like shoving PF
As soon as I called, I said to my husband, "I probably should have just pushed." :/ But, in response to the part in bold in Chuck's post, it was pretty obvious to me that he was indeed only raising with premiums, as I was stealing blinds and pots from this guy left and right. So that was my reasoning for just calling.

I left it out in the quote above from viking, but I also like the suggestion to bet out a little less on the flop.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. :)