$4.5 NLHE MTT: Sometimes aggression gets rewarded

300HPGOD

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I like the way you played the hand from start to finish. One small quip I would have would be your turn sizing. I definitely like the 40% ish bet on the flop and betting higher % as a double barrel when a card like a queen comes that we can rep, I just dont know if you have to go as big as you did there. I might go something more like 360 here which I know is splitting hairs but I do like the concept of making the turn bigger there to rep that the queen smacked us. Obviously the river is wonderful and at that point its clear to just get it in. Wondering what your plans would have been if you missed the river or just hit a J or 10 where you would not have top pair. Would you have tripled against this villain? Nice hand

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
This Villain was a reg, and my plan was definitely to jam basically any river.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Total posts
From the short experience that I have, unless I already have a straight, a flush or a full house, I will reraise on the turn since the river could and many times was devastating for me. I would check call, let the aggressor bet, but on the turn I would switch and be the aggressor. Especially here when there was also a flush draw on the table I would be scared about. If I were him I would have reraised on turn to 1.1k. Also I don't know what to say to the fact that you would have jammed the river if you missed, considering he called to all those bets and had you covered. You risk getting out, and he risks half his stack but stays alive. If a diamond came on river, I would get the jam and it would be a really ballsy and good move. But with this board, what are you repping and going all in after also a Q on turn. Are you repping kings or aces?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
But with this board, what are you repping and going all in after also a Q on turn. Are you repping kings or aces?

And sets plus AQ/KQ, that C-bet the flop with nothing and then improved to top pair on the turn. This was still far from the money, so busting is not really a big concern, and bluffing only needs to work around 40% of the time to show a profit. He can fold busted draws on the river, and he can fold basically any one pair hand, thats not top pair. Which he rarely has, unless its AQ or KQ of diamonds exactly. I think, this is a nice bluffing hand, because it lacks showdown value, and it dont block any of the main flopped draws like diamonds. Of oourse he would never fold a set, but thats the absolutely top of his range, especially since he did not jam the turn on a wet board, as you say :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Total posts
I generally would not cbet this flop OOP myself, but when we do and we pickup equity on the turn and what it also a good bluff card - I like the idea of the 2nd barrel and tripling off almost any river card -- we get better hands to fold such as better hi card diamonds, 8x and pairs like TTs or JJs may even fold to a triple barrel on the river. Villan played his set well realizing that you don't connect with this board texture too often, the Q is great for your range and you will also be bluffing missed flush draws here on the river as well -- so I think they played this hand pretty well too and just ran into your runners - all in all it turned out well.

Like I said, I know cbetting OOP is something we do not do very often, but here, it worked out pretty well. Also, once more, I love the fact that once you realize the turn card is a great semi bluff card for you - that automatically gave you a plan for where to go with this hand. I don't think alot of players think these spots through and either give up at the wrong point, or just never pull the trigger in general.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Total posts
You played aggressive, betting all streets, got rewarded with runner runner straight. Big pot and a lot of luck.