$4.40 NLHE MTT: Is Calling the Turn Here Okay?

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 50/15/60

poker stars $4.00+$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t24/t150 Blinds + t20 - 8 players - View hand 1668943
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG+1: t8185 M = 24.51
MP1: t5280 M = 15.81
MP2: t3961 M = 11.86
Hero (CO): t7317 M = 21.91
BTN: t9634 M = 28.84
SB: t44 M = 0.13
BB: t19681 M = 58.93
UTG: t6234 M = 18.66

Pre Flop: (t334) Hero is CO with Q
spade.gif
J
spade.gif

4 folds, Hero raises to t450, 2 folds, BB calls t300

Flop: (t1084) T
spade.gif
heart.gif
club.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t300, Hero calls t300

Turn: (t1684) 9
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t450

Hero ???

Here's my thinking for calling, he's really aggressive so he'll probably barrel the river whatever it is; he also calls pre with a pretty wide range of hands so I'm probably ahead on the river regardless, so I might as well let him fire a third barrel and then shove over.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok. raising the turn in general is really bad, but especially against this guy.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min-Raise turn and fistpump when he pushes, I say min-raise because these types of players will generally push a min-raise with any pair.
You have villian beat and the only decision you have here is "How much do I bet that he will call or push"

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't minraise the turn ever.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't minraise the turn ever.
it's all situational, you have to remember what type of player we are up against here.
We have a very aggressive spewtard who will most likely come over the top of a min-raise and with the straight we already have, possible flush/straight flush draw, we are only raising this turn and as I have said above, a min-raise will most likely get an aggressive player like this to come over the top and we fistpump and call.
I don't like min-raising in most situations but this situation calls for it IMO.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have better options than raising the turn.

D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disagree with baudib1 and agree more with shinedown. I'll add another reason to shine's, which he covered a good one already.

You'r giving an unnecessary free draw at a bigger straight by just calling. Also a flush. Basically, as described, this guy sounds like he's gonna be aggroo with any hands he does have so I don't think you're losing him if he has anything but yet you are putting pressure on hands you don't really want to be against, surely not give a free draw to. So, while min raise is fine I raise that and say you can do a little more than min here. Like shane said you may get shoved here a lot. People dont like playing out of position and as played your hand looks like a flat and feeler min raise bluff so if he's really aggro he may just shove.

He may also call then open shove, or call and check raise shove. Either way I think there's a lot more value in giving him the opportunities to be aggressive rather than taking a betting street away, giving a free card, all for just the plan of getting a 1/2 pot bet on the riv (which he may even check). Min raise also prices him in for ties and just generally non aggressive stances like calling you with top pair.

Cliffs: A lot more value in min raising or even more than min on the turn than just calling. Creates more opportunities for more chips, punishes draws, makes him mad at you and wonder even if he does fold :)

D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have better options than raising the turn.
I'd like to hear these because you said plural and I only see one, unless you're saying he can fold here :)

PS. I think one general thing we need to remember here are people are much more likely to be aggressive with cards to come than with no cards to come. There's just much more chance of getting much more chips on the turn than giving a free river than trying.