$340 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Missed value on the turn?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 hours into a live MTT I've dwindled below the starting stack. I have about 10,000 chips and blinds are 200/400/50 so cost per orbit is 1,050. and my M=9.5 and I have about 25 BBs. Average stack is about 18,000.

I've just been blinding out, have a tight image and decide to raise UTG+1 with Ac3c. I know it's a weak opening hand, I'm just hoping to win the blinds. I raise to 1,000.

Good player in mid position calls, SB calls and BB calls. Pot contains 4,450.

Flop is 943 with 1 club. So I've flopped bottom pair and a backdoor flush draw on a relatively dry, safe looking board. both blinds check to me. I don't usually C-Bet in multi-way pots but I figure this is a good spot and I bet 2,500. leaving me with a stack of 6,500.

Mid position player hesitates and then calls. both blinds fold. I'm putting the caller on a small pair like 66 or 77. I decide I've got a lot of bluff outs, semi bluff outs and real outs on the turn. I'll bet any broadway card and any club, and I'll check/trap if I get lucky and catch another 3.

Pot contains 9,450.

Turn is a red Ace giving me top and bottom pair. I go all in for 6,500 and he folds.

So I probably got bailed out by the deck on the turn, but then I failed to gain any extra value. Should I have checked the turn? I feel like any other bet I would have made would have looked fishy because it would either be tiny relative to the pot, or represent most of my stack...I felt like the shove had the highest likelihood of getting called....

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it not bad.
I like your cbet on the flop, but I prefer less than 2500. 1/2 pot in multi-way pots should be enough. For me 1/2 pot in multi way, 2200-2300 - it is max and also seems strong. As played - you have 6500 in stack. The turn is very good card for us. Here I also prefer bet 1/2 pot. I'm not sure if all in for 2/3 pot is the best option on good board for us. You don't catch another 3 but your hand grow more strong. As you said ... maybe check/trap is better if the board is safe, especially without flush draw. I hope that board is without FD, if I good understand.
If you want bet here the turn, as I said ... better is bet for 1/2 pot for me. It is universal bet for me - IMO often hard to say what does it mean, bluff or value bet? Let him guess.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the shove is fine. The bet size makes sense given pot size.