$330 NLHE MTT: chip up or go home

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is fast structured 25 min blind levels witch double

villain is quite agro likes to put a lot of pressure on when sees weakness.
takes every opportunity to raise the BTN when first in , but doesn't like to fold to 3bets.
level before calls a raise from MD position on BTN
flop came Q73 rainbow MD bets half pot , villain calls
turn J MD checks , villain fires half pot , MD calls
river 2 no flush MD checks , villain fires a real big bet , MD tanks and calls , villain insta muck

This hand blinds 300/600 /100
villain has 24k
hero has 27

Action folds around to villain on the BTN who makes it 1500
hero has Ah10d in the BB and calls

Flop (4400) Ac7c8s
hero checks , villain fires 1600, hero calls

Turn (7600) 9s
hero checks , villain fires 4000 , hero calls

river (15600) 5s , hero checks , villain goes all in for 16900

Hero ? we know villain is agro and likes to put a lot of pressure on , he also takes big risks.
If villain had a big ace I think he would check behind here. back door flush is unlikely , and our hand is preety much face up as played .
Imo villain is polerized to having flush or nothing.
Should we call and chip up or fold with 30 bb left and wait for a better spot?
Also this is a 1 time re entry tornament , I had no intention on re buying , but villain probably did .

Also please give suggestions on how this could have been played better , I think I should have bet/fold river 5k
or bet/fold turn

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a reraise preflop is in order.

as played, I like your check calling the flop and turn, give him some rope to hang himself.

river is tough, but I think based on what you've described I would suck it up and call.

I agree he either has a flush, a straight or nothing, although it is mildly likely he has ace medium and got 2 pair on us...I don't think he bets 2 pair with a 4 card straight on the board...

this is one of those spots where vs a tight opponent who I am usually able to assign a range to, I'm more likely to fold.

vs. a loose cannon who has shown a propensity to bluff....sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and call these guys, and hope for the best.

I think it was in "kill everyone" where they say when you play your hand trappy vs. a LAG you must be prepared for the onslought of chips it brings.

the only other consideration is: does he appear comfortable? do you think he puts you on a hand like AT or AJ? if so, he probably thinks he can get you to fold it with the horrible board texture.

it's a tough spot. I don't think folding or calling are a big mistake. the reason I lean toward a call is if you fold you've still got to play with this guy at your table and now you've backed down to him and he's likely to walk all over you. if you call and you're right you're going to buy a lot of table respect.

The farther we are from the money, the more likely I am to call here...especially with a kind of crappy structure....got to take your chances somewhere...

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you not 3 betting an agro fish who won't fold to 3 bets?

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you not 3 betting an agro fish who won't fold to 3 bets?
because we are out of position and we don't want to build a big pot
if I had position I would be 3betting this guy all day long

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a reraise preflop is in order.

as played, I like your check calling the flop and turn, give him some rope to hang himself.

river is tough, but I think based on what you've described I would suck it up and call.

I agree he either has a flush, a straight or nothing, although it is mildly likely he has ace medium and got 2 pair on us...I don't think he bets 2 pair with a 4 card straight on the board...

this is one of those spots where vs a tight opponent who I am usually able to assign a range to, I'm more likely to fold.

vs. a loose cannon who has shown a propensity to bluff....sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and call these guys, and hope for the best.

I think it was in "kill everyone" where they say when you play your hand trappy vs. a LAG you must be prepared for the onslought of chips it brings.

the only other consideration is: does he appear comfortable? do you think he puts you on a hand like AT or AJ? if so, he probably thinks he can get you to fold it with the horrible board texture.

it's a tough spot. I don't think folding or calling are a big mistake. the reason I lean toward a call is if you fold you've still got to play with this guy at your table and now you've backed down to him and he's likely to walk all over you. if you call and you're right you're going to buy a lot of table respect.

The farther we are from the money, the more likely I am to call here...especially with a kind of crappy structure....got to take your chances somewhere...
thanks for your analysis missjacki , some very helfull insight
I don't like 3 bet here because this guy doesn't fold , and I don't want to play a big pot against mr agro out of position.

This guy keeps a preety straight face , I tanked for ages to see if I could pick something up .

He def puts me on Ax , the way it was played my hand is preety much face up. This is probably just one more reason to call this guy.

We have been on a few final tables with villain so I don't think hes value betting 2 pair on 4 card straight / possible flush board , I think he might even check back the straight here , hes not stupid just agro.

Its either flush or bluff.

and I think a call is in order , like you said crappy structure must take chances sometime .

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you call?

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you call?
no I folded , but still cant get over it , so should have called.

I was left with 30 bb after I folded , few orbits later after being card dead I finally wake up in the BB with AQs , there is a limp in MD , villain 3 bets and I ship it.
Limper folds villain thinks for abit and calls, rolls over J10o
Flop Q K 4 turn 8 river 9 catch ya later luck box.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difficulty against people who play like this is that its hard to get information on them and they are pretty fearless against getting hands in. Their weak spot of course being that one brave caller or bad bluff will knock them out of the tourny pretty quick.

So the mission against this guy isn't to extra value necessarily - it's to get information. Ok - we know the guy will call a 3-bet lite. Great, no need to build an extensive pot pre-flop. Now, the A pair comes down on the flop with a pretty good kicker. The problem with this hand here is that you have two clubs out on the board, along with the backdoor straight potential, as well as the A Rag 2-pair potential. Basically there's a lot of stuff that could be beating you by the river. You're playing against a guy who's gonna bet if he gets there, and bet if he doesn't. On top of that, check-calling twice kind of screams of top pair.

For me, this is one of those rare cases where pot sized Donk-betting is the smart play. He'd have to be pretty seriously aggressive to call it, and even if he does call it, you have plenty of equity. When the spade comes on the turn I'd second bullet pot sized again. Even an aggressive player will probably back off a draw here. With just a pair, I'm really not looking to face a tough decision on the river.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, i feel ur play was good with a fold post river to his shove !!!
Probably putting ur villian on a two pair with Ace high looks more appropriate given his aggro nature !!!
Calling a shove with top pair is isnt correct with that stack size however aggro u put ur villian to be...U need atleast to two pair to call there and take a risk !!!

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because we are out of position and we don't want to build a big pot
if I had position I would be 3betting this guy all day long

If villain knows you are almost never 3betting OOP, he can even open much wider from button.

Think I'd rather 3bet with a 40BB stack here with AT for value vs someone who is opening too wide and isn't folding to 3bets much.

Organize a Home Poker Game