$33 NLHE MTT: Trips hits Full - should I have been more aggressive?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hit Trip-Kings on the flop so my instinct was to slow-play it to induce bets, intending to check/raise any bets but nobody bet on the flop. So the betting was slow. only to then get aggressive on the River. Turns out that the villain had hit his Full House on the Turn though.

Should I have done a bet more aggressively on the flop? My alternative thought was to do a 2/3rds pot bet on the flop instead of check raising, or a min-raise followed by a 4-bet if anyone had re-raised.

On the other hand had I been more aggressive, I might have been eliminated this hand. As it happens, I was prepared to go all-in on this if he'd re-raised again - although I was worried the other King might be in play, I wasn't expecting a pocket to have hit.

$30 + $3 - Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (7 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 5,525 (92 bb)
UTG+1: 4,782 (80 bb)
MP: 4,979 (83 bb)
MP+1: 3,342 (56 bb)
CO: 4,167 (69 bb)
BU: 10,830 (181 bb)
SB (Hero): 5,469 (91 bb)
BB: 5,906 (98 bb)

Pre-Flop: (146) Hero is SB with 8 K
UTG raises to 120, UTG+1 calls 120, 4 players fold, Hero calls 90, BB calls 60

Flop: (536) K K Q (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: (536) 7 (4 players)
Hero bets 176, BB folds, UTG calls 176, UTG+1 folds

River: (888) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets 293, UTG raises to 939, Hero raises to 1,585, UTG calls 646

Total pot: 4,058

Showdown:
SB (Hero) shows 8 K (three of a kind, Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 46%, Flop: 93%, Turn: 16%, River: 0%)

UTG shows 7 7 (a full house, Sevens full of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 54%, Flop: 7%, Turn: 84%, River: 100%)

UTG wins 4,058

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
From BB I would clearly defend K8s to a min-raise, but from SB I think, this is a bit to loosy-goosy. You are not getting nearly as good a price, you are not closing action, and your hand suffer from a lot of reverse implied odds. If you hit top pair on a K, someone might have you outkicked, and even if you make a flush, its not the nut flush, unless As is on the board.

Flop
Great flop obviously, but its also a situation, where we cant begin to build a massive pot and expect to still be ahead. So totally on board with checking here, and my intention would be to check-call. Its a way ahead way behind spot, where either we are drawing to a few outs, or they are drawing to a few outs.

Turn
Definitely onboard with betting for value and also with the small sizing, since we are trying to get called by rather weak hands like a Q or a gutshot draw.

River
Still completely onboard with betting for value and the small sizing as well. Nothing has changed from the turn, except that now the busted gutshot draws are no longer calling. But we can still get value from mainly a Q, especially using the small sizing. However when he raise, he is clearly representing something stronger than your hand, so you are either beat, or he is bluffing. If he is bluffing, he is not going to call a 3-bet, and therefore it makes no sense to come back over the top. Instead its a close decision between calling and folding.

You were actually lucky, he did not 4-bet you, and most likely this is because, he was worried about a better full house like mainly KQ. This is, what you represent, when you 3-bet him on the river, so at this point you massively overvalued and overplayed your hand. It would not be completely crazy to fold, but he could have a busted gutshot draws or just some random bluff, and you were getting a pretty good price. So personally I probably hate life and pay him off most of the time.