£32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: £32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: £32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Decision on the turn.

P

PatchPS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
£32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: £32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: £32 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Decision on the turn.

Hand from a local tournament at the weekend. Blinds 50/100, 10 handed. EP limps, Utg+3 (20k, no reads) raises to 300. HJ (25k, very loose, can play any 2) calls. I have 9s8s in CO(15k) and call. SB and BB call, EP limper calls. Pot 1800.

Flop 9h8d2s. BB leads for 400, EP calls, Utg+3 calls, HJ calls. I raise to 1800. SB, BB, EP all fold, Utg+3 and HJ call. Pot 7000

Turn 2c. Utg+3 leads for 2500, HJ raises to 5000. What's my play?

Edit: no idea what happened with the thread title, sorry.

Last edited:
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is an easy fold for me on the turn given UTG+3 acting behind and there would be better spots to play at this level of buyin.

There could be times UTG+3 leading with A9 and HJ min-raising with TJ but I think more often either one would have overpair/A2/88/99.

LAGvTAG

LAGvTAG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold bc the HJ is an any 2 player. UTG+3 could also have an overpair to the board. Multiway pots are the worst. Maybe reraise more preflop or on the flop to avoid this situation in the future.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming this is a loose type of game.

There's an argument for raising preflop here.

Your 3bet on the flop could be bigger (3000) with the intention of jamming the turn. Play it hard and fast

Top two in a rebuy is a pretty strong hand

LAGvTAG

LAGvTAG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5/10 called preflop assumes a loose tourney

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop: calling is fine because we are deep but there are very specific types of flops we are looking for and we can't put in very much money until we see one of those flops (for instance if the EP limper squeezes preflop we might just have to fold). Depending on my table I will sometimes raise smallish here (like 850-1,000) to try and get HU in position with a lot of dead money. At some tables only a huge raise will accomplish that and so I'll call along.

FLOP: this is one of those flops I was talking about. we essentially have the nuts in a very multiway pot and players are betting into us. THIS IS GOOD. however, our hand is vulnerable so we need to charge the draws and narrow the field with a hand that we are trying to get stacks in against. I would raise much bigger on the flop; with a 400 lead and 3 callers it presumes nobody is super strong but the pot is getting very big. we need to make about a pot sized raise which would be 1800+400+400+400+400 = 3,400. I think any raise 3,000-4,000 is OK here.

Turn: As played every overpair now beats us and facing the action of a lead and a raise on the flop I guess we fold. It's gross but we have new info now and we only beat bluffs. Time to sigh fold. money saved is as good as money earned.

P

PatchPS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did fold. Utg+3 called. River was 3s. Goes check, check. Utg+3 shows Ad9d, HJ shows KsJs. Safe to say I wasn't pleased.

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn: As played every overpair now beats us and facing the action of a lead and a raise on the flop I guess we fold. It's gross but we have new info now and we only beat bluffs. Time to sigh fold. money saved is as good as money earned.

I think overs are unlikely considering the preflop and flop action.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is completely fine, you are getting good odds, and considering you are suited I belive it gives you quite enough chances to connect with the board and continue.

On the flop you made it way to small of a raise. You have to consider that if one player on the blinds for example call, then the next to act has great odds to call too, which then gives even better odds for every other player. Considering this is sort of a deepstack tournament (noticed you all have 150-250 BB stacks) another 1400 or 14 BB is not that much to call.

Once you did get called, and considering the action on the turn, it is probably a fold. Maybe you could call once in a while there, just to make sure you are not folding too much. Because, when I take into consideration the action pre flop, it is not likely anyone has QQ+ , probably not even JJ, however TT is a likely hand, but so are all the 9x hands, especially for HJ who is a loose player as you say.
Another reason I wouldn't rush and put anyone on an overpair is the flop action. You made it too small of a raise, and gave great price for K9 to call or A8 or something similar. Don't forget that straight draws are also in there staying till the river, especially considering it is a rebuy tournament.

As I write this post, I kinda feel as if I am talking myself into calling, and it becomes, in my mind, a better decision. If the hand went to the showdown, mind saying what they had?

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You fold. Your two pair just got destroyed against all ovepairs.