$30 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What do we do here?

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$30+3 Buy-In, 80 entries top 9 gets paid, 35 players left.

I don't know why I don't have this hand recorded on my HUD, but these are the details (sorry to put it this way, the hand was on iPoker and I don't know how I can copy it here):

Blind are 50/150/300, I'm in MP with AsKs and make a min raise to 600. Villain 3bets me to 2.650 from the CO, then it folded back to me.

I've been playing fairly tight, but I made a couple of min raises on the last 10 hands, winning one of those two with KQo. I have a 13.000 stack (12th out of 35 remaining, top 9 gets paid).

The information on Villain is that he has been playing fairly tight too, but I remember only one hand from him: There was a limp from UTG (blinds 100/200) and he raised it to 950 from MP with A8o. Don't remember how it went, but he won that hand in the end. Also, he open raises to 3x.

Don't remember the times when he 3beted before, but he did it twice before like in 40 hands and don't have the information of those 3bet sizings.

So with all that information, what should we do here? Take in consideration that it is a big 3bet, and if we just call we would be playing a big pot (6.200 pot with a 10.000 remaining stack) out of position.

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most standard jam ever

That's what I did, turned out he had AA and busted out in 35th.

Getting in a lot of these spots lately, and losing most of them busting out after a few hours of play with a reasonable healthy stack.

That's why I want to know that if I'm doing it right and this is just variance, or if it is that I just misjudge these spots and that's why I'm losing lately.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super standard shove, cooler spot. Annoying to play OOP and he's calling decently wide here.

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you saw him raising an UTG limper with A8o from the MP, that's not tight at all, on the contrary, that's very loose, especially in tourneys. So, against this kind of player this is a pretty standard play. Unfortunately, he woke up with aces on the button, the worst possible outcome for you.
You played this just fine.

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you saw him raising an UTG limper with A8o from the MP, that's not tight at all, on the contrary, that's very loose, especially in tourneys. So, against this kind of player this is a pretty standard play. Unfortunately, he woke up with aces on the button, the worst possible outcome for you.
You played this just fine.

I mean, he was actually playing tight, but that hand was something very rare given his stats.

His 3bet didn't seem like a bluff, it looked like he actually was going for value, but like you said, I couldn't get that hand out of my head so I also think it was just a cooler.

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super standard shove, cooler spot. Annoying to play OOP and he's calling decently wide here.

Agree. I had my doubts after the play since at the moment it really seemed like he was going for value, and since I had a healthy stack and this was a flip in best case scenario (if he calls of course, which is very probable) maybe I could wait for better spots later.

Now I'm more convinced that this is the right play and that it was just a cooler spot.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your stack's not that healthy. You're miles away from the money and any ICM considerations. The pot is already 1/3 of your stack. If you fold here you will very often reach the bubble in desperate straits and be praying for AKs.

-- If his range is AK/QQ+ (it isn't) and he never folds, you have ~41% equity. Some of that will be chops but you're going to double up a pretty significant amount of the time. Those are the times you go on to win tournaments, when you move into a big, playable stack headed to the bubble and you can pwn the medium stacks who are desperately looking for a hand.

If you fold here some of your "good spots" will be shoving J2o from the SB into the BB; shoving 55 over a CO raise or restealing Q9s vs. the button. You're going to lose those a lot.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't know why I don't have this hand recorded on my HUD, but these are the details (sorry to put it this way, the hand was on iPoker and I don't know how I can copy it here):

Blind are 50/150/300, I'm in MP with AsKs and make a min raise to 600. Villain 3bets me to 2.650 from the CO, then it folded back to me.

I've been playing fairly tight, but I made a couple of min raises on the last 10 hands, winning one of those two with KQo. I have a 13.000 stack (12th out of 35 remaining, top 9 gets paid).

The information on Villain is that he has been playing fairly tight too, but I remember only one hand from him: There was a limp from UTG (blinds 100/200) and he raised it to 950 from MP with A8o. Don't remember how it went, but he won that hand in the end. Also, he open raises to 3x.

Don't remember the times when he 3beted before, but he did it twice before like in 40 hands and don't have the information of those 3bet sizings.

So with all that information, what should we do here? Take in consideration that it is a big 3bet, and if we just call we would be playing a big pot (6.200 pot with a 10.000 remaining stack) out of position.

Sometimes even AK can be folded... But now I think shoving is the best sollution cos your image. Your raising range is wide now, so he can 3-bet you even with A8-AQ or 88+.

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
analysis is very interesting to do! if you only charge 9 and these 3 players to charge I would have expected in the quiet bubble to collect bone had defended my blinds but without risking anything! once you are among those charged is can be more aggressive than knowing you got your ticket! that's my opinion! a hug

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your stack's not that healthy. You're miles away from the money and any ICM considerations. The pot is already 1/3 of your stack. If you fold here you will very often reach the bubble in desperate straits and be praying for AKs.

-- If his range is AK/QQ+ (it isn't) and he never folds, you have ~41% equity. Some of that will be chops but you're going to double up a pretty significant amount of the time. Those are the times you go on to win tournaments, when you move into a big, playable stack headed to the bubble and you can pwn the medium stacks who are desperately looking for a hand.

If you fold here some of your "good spots" will be shoving J2o from the SB into the BB; shoving 55 over a CO raise or restealing Q9s vs. the button. You're going to lose those a lot.

Thanks a lot for that, very helpfull since I'm getting a lot of those spots lately and I need to just keep the confidence on that being the right move.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think if villains sizing was smaller say something like ( 1500 ) we can flat and get away from the hand if no A or K flops and villain keeps up the aggression .
With 40 bigs im not a big fan of stacking of with AK ( dependant on villain though) .
With villains bet sizing and image though you have no option but to jam.