Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
$30
Currency
$
pokerstars, $27.30 + $2.70 - Hold'em No Limit - 800/1,600 (200 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 42,327 (26 bb)
UTG+1: 101,725 (64 bb)
MP: 202,573 (127 bb)
MP+1: 132,768 (83 bb)
CO: 44,706 (28 bb)
BU: 29,676 (19 bb)
SB: 114,502 (72 bb)
BB (Hero): 142,813 (89 bb)

Pre-Flop: (4,000) Hero is BB with 8 8
2 players fold, MP raises to 3,616, 3 players fold, SB calls 2,816, Hero calls 2,016

Flop:
(12,448) 8 2 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP bets 9,958, SB folds, Hero calls 9,958

Turn:
(32,364) J (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (32,364) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets 17,800, MP raises to 188,799 (all-in), BB (Hero) folds

Early stages of a PokerStarsNJ Tournament. Open to criticism on flop and turn as well because this is a multiway pot and I'm not sure what to do, but I'm really concerned about the River decision. Had just sat at a table with this guy so no reads or any useful stats, what do you guys think? I feel like a flush would've kept barreling turn and I don't think he opens T7 and probably doesn't cbet with QT so what is left? Maybe 99?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great hand to analise.
Easy call on pre. As you two have such huge stacks, its very unlikely to bring the hand to the shove-call option, so preflop I would aiming to protect our hand's strenght and BB position, and if we hit set, we may could take down a nice pot, but probably not the whole.

Very great flop, and as we could have all low cards like 75s, 109, 98s and all the sets, top pair its a pretty check-call.
Amazing check on turn, and as we could have bluffs in our hands, prepairing for the call.

River is a naughty one and we should see it. Opp could arrive here with bigger sets, straights, flushes. So came back to my thinking when I said we really don't need to took this to all-in against the other monster stack, but we still have a very competitive hands - now we should really check it down for the third time, and let villain to go for value / bluff on us - and it supposed to be an easy call.
So out-of-position with such a tricky board, we are clearly better to not pumping up the pot anymore, and let villain do the job, saving many chips for us on a possible runner-runner.

As it came, did not like the raise nor the sizeing,but you were clearly beaten on thid texture.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard defend and dont see much reason to 3-bet 88 out of position.

Flop
Check-calling is obviously a profitable line, but I lean towards fastplaying and going for a check-raise on the flop. On a low board it does not matter so much, that you block top pair, because most of his value range are going to be overpairs. And if he has a small overpair like 99-JJ, there are many cards, that can kill the action later.

Turn
This is one of those cards, he dont necessarely love, unless he kind of randomly has it with a hand like AJ or KJ, that was C-betting. As played I think, there is a real argument for leading (donk betting) to not allow him to check back.

River
As played there is some argument for checking again to continue your slowplay, but betting for value is certainly also fine, and its the play, I would most commonly make in real time. When he jam, its very polarizing, so I would put him on a range of strong flushes and the nut flush blocker. This is way to big of a sizing to use for value with a set or a straight or even a small flush. At a limit like this I do think, some players are able to do this with the nut blocker. So I think, you can go either way here, depending on your mood. You do not have a flush blocker though, and to this sizing you are supposed to do a lot of folding. So yeah. I would probably also not pay my entire stack to catch him bluffing.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $27.30 + $2.70 - Hold'em No Limit - 800/1,600 (200 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 42,327 (26 bb)
UTG+1: 101,725 (64 bb)
MP: 202,573 (127 bb)
MP+1: 132,768 (83 bb)
CO: 44,706 (28 bb)
BU: 29,676 (19 bb)
SB: 114,502 (72 bb)
BB (Hero): 142,813 (89 bb)

Pre-Flop: (4,000) Hero is BB with 8 8
2 players fold, MP raises to 3,616, 3 players fold, SB calls 2,816, Hero calls 2,016

Flop:
(12,448) 8 2 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP bets 9,958, SB folds, Hero calls 9,958

Turn:
(32,364) J (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (32,364) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets 17,800, MP raises to 188,799 (all-in), BB (Hero) folds

Early stages of a PokerStarsNJ Tournament. Open to criticism on flop and turn as well because this is a multiway pot and I'm not sure what to do, but I'm really concerned about the River decision. Had just sat at a table with this guy so no reads or any useful stats, what do you guys think? I feel like a flush would've kept barreling turn and I don't think he opens T7 and probably doesn't cbet with QT so what is left? Maybe 99?

Your study point is preplanning a hand- ---we call to flop a set -flop a set now what? Now we react to the runout and our V's actions---the first action is the V bet large on the flop--we have 2 choices call or raise? You call-- why not raise? What is our goal in this pot at this stage? We want to get stacks in is calling the best way to do that? Ok we think calling is the best way to get stacks in we think the V is going to do what on turn? They have 2 choices-bet or check----why did we think they would bet?---The turn card changes the nuts JJJ is now the nuts but the V checks so no JJ-the river card changes the nuts again--flushes and straights and a set of 999---we lead why? what range that checked the turn would call our river lead? would we lead an 8 here- would we bluff this sizing? If we think they have nuts or nothing is this the sizing we want to choose?--------------these are some of the thoughts we want to have when practicing preplanning

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre as already mentioned is just a call as you did.

On the flop I like just calling here because the villains bet sizing is large and I would expect them to have a hand then that is either quite strong or is bluffing to take the pot. I dont want to the bluffs to fold out and let them off the hook easily and the stronger hands I would presume would double barrel and my plan would be to check raise the turn. Some would say if you think villain is strong then go ahead and raise now. First they could still be bluffing with this sizing so I dont want to stop them from hanging themselves and if they are strong I want villain to think to themselves there is no reason why I dont have the best hand right now. A check raise on the flop should heighten their senses and could make them slowdown, even with a hand like a big pocket pair. I do see the argument that Fundiver brings up about 99-1010 type hands that will shut down if a large card comes on the turn but I am still willing to risk that if I think it gives the best shot to get the most chips whether villain has a good hand here or a weaker hand here.

The turn is one that I am checking in game planning to check raise. It does suck when villain checks behind but I just dont have a lot of natural leads here (right or wrong) so I personally am hoping they continue. I would use my stats at this point as well since many players seem to have a tendency to check turn or have the tendency to double barrel so depending on what I know would make me lean a certain way. Generally speaking though I would be checking here hoping to have the chance to check raise.

River is very important in these spots where we have a good hand but the board dramatically changes with the river card. First thing I think of, and what I thought of before seeing the results, is Im checking here a lot. My reasoning is that I dont think villain will call with much worse since we know with the second club coming on the turn and them then checking behind that they dont have (or shouldnt have) a set, two pair or Jx. I think villains hand here is a flush or nothing even before they made the large bet on the river. Therefore, even with my hand being a strong as it is I dont think Im getting called by anything I beat when and if I led here so I am turning my hand into a bluff catcher (just a bluff catcher that I would be very confident in). Second reason I would not lead here is I would ask myself how good do I feel if I get raised here? It would not make me feel too good and might have to fold so its better for a few reasons to check here and then bluff catch almost all sizings on the river.