£3 NLHE STT Turbo: NLHE STT Turbo: £3 NLHE STT Turbo: Turning top pair into a bluff

M

MattJM68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
£3 NLHE STT Turbo: NLHE STT Turbo: £3 NLHE STT Turbo: Turning top pair into a bluff

Ok this is a slightly different one. This is a hand I played at my Uni's poker society last night. It was the first hand and we run a 8 handed sit n go with 1000 chips starting and blinds starting at 10/20 and increase every 20 mins.

This was the first hand.

I'm dealt :ad4::7c4: in the CO and in an unlikely change of pace for the society there are no limpers and it folds to me. I raise to 60 and get called by just the button who I play with regularly. He rarely bets, have seen him bluff only a handful of times in the last 2 years, loves to draw and will only bet (what he considers) the nuts. Blinds fold.

Flop comes:

:ac4::4s4::3d4:[ Pot: 150]

I check to him and he bets 60. I expect him to check back with all worse hands other than the odd suited 5 he somehow has. Therefore i'm not too happy and just call.

Turn comes:

:qd4: [ Pot: 270]

Naturally, I check, and he bets 60 again. At this point i'm sure i'm beat, he's not the sort of guy who's gunna barrel twice, even this small, without a strong piece of the hand. However, i'm also not the sort of guy who's gunna fold an ace with those pot odds.

River comes:

:kd4: [ Pot: 390]

Ok so this was a fairly interesting flop for me because it brought in the diamond draw and I had the ace of diamonds. I decided to shove the remaining 610 and beg he folded. How do people feel about this??

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your read it sounds like it should be a fold on the flop, a fold on the turn, not a 2x pot bluff of what would be 820 (not 610) on the river.

M

MattJM68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your read it sounds like it should be a fold on the flop, a fold on the turn, not a 2x pot bluff of what would be 820 (not 610) on the river.
Cant be 820, both put in 60 pre (120) + blinds (150), both 60 flop (270), 60 turn (390), leaving 610.

I know what you mean, but here was my thought process, could hit a 7, could be bluffing (rarely) and I could maybe move him off a 2 pair. Normally that wouldn't be possible but this is our student union game that ussually last 3 hours and the villian had just walked 30 mins to come here and play. I was very confident that he wasn't comfortable getting his stack in and walking straight back home. I'd previously seen him fold pocket Kings with 1bb behind when hes already commited >10bb.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant be 820, both put in 60 pre (120) + blinds (150), both 60 flop (270), 60 turn (390), leaving 610.

I know what you mean, but here was my thought process, could hit a 7, could be bluffing (rarely) and I could maybe move him off a 2 pair. Normally that wouldn't be possible but this is our student union game that ussually last 3 hours and the villian had just walked 30 mins to come here and play. I was very confident that he wasn't comfortable getting his stack in and walking straight back home. I'd previously seen him fold pocket Kings with 1bb behind when hes already commited >10bb.
It's definitely 820. You said it was the first hand and you started with 1000. You put in 60 pre, 60 on the flop and 60 on the turn. 1000-(60*3)=820.

M

MattJM68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely 820. You said it was the first hand and you started with 1000. You put in 60 pre, 60 on the flop and 60 on the turn. 1000-(60*3)=820.
Oh god i'm dumb, if i told you I was a second year economics student would you believe me???:D:D:D

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh god i'm dumb, if i told you I was a second year economics student would you believe me???:D:D:D
Simple mistake. You were subtracting the pot from your starting chips instead of just your contributions to it.

G

gaz1689

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand play

A risky shove in the end probability is that he had a higher kicker than you but you scared him off with th me shove because of a possible flush