T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD 2 Poker Tracking Software

ITM in this 9man SnG with 3 left and I am in 2nd. Chip leader had been very aggressive but showed up plenty of times with real hands. He applied some ICM pressure since I was decently ahead of the 3rd place guy.

Easy call from the BB with KJo. Check Check on the Flop and he bets the Turn and shoves the River. I think he's either bluffing or slow played an A so I folded due to the short stack. I was really unsure about what to do. Was folding correct?

NL Holdem $3+$0.30 (200.00BB)
SB ($8632)
HERO ($5640)
BTN ($3728)

Dealt to Hero: J K

BTN Folds, SB Raises To $581, HERO Calls $356

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.26 effective]
Flop ($1187): A Q K
SB Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($1187): A Q K 8
SB Bets $890 (Rem. Stack: $7161), HERO Calls $890 (Rem. Stack: $4169)

River ($2967): A Q K 8 A
SB Bets $7161 (allin), HERO Folds

SB wins: $2967

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
starting the pot control from the flop is perfect even though we're in position, because calling a donk bet on turn would be an unnecessary investment w/ our limited stack.
calling the turn is a must for the T & yes i dont think the river is a bluff.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard defend and I like your decision to just call, because we are a little to deep to 3-bet jam.

Flop
I like your decision to check back. You have a fairly strong made hand and a gutshot draw, but this is definitely not the kind of situation, where we want to play for stacks especially not considering the ICM implications, when we are the middling stack 3-handed.

Turn
Obviously the plan, when we checked back flop, was to induce bluffs and use our hand as a bluffcatcher. I do kind of hate, that he went so big though, because to me it smells a bit like a monster hand, that checked the flop in the hope, you would bet, so he could check-raise. Even so with the gutshot you are never drawing dead, unless he has exactly JT, which a lot of people would limp rather than raise preflop. So I would also call here, but I would not be loving my situation.

River
I think, we can just fold to that overbet jam. Yes he might be using his chip stack to "bully" us, but we have better hands than this to defend with, and we are not getting a great price. If he is overly agressive, maybe we check back the flop with our entire range, so while we cant have a lot of boats, because we would have 3-bet a lot of them preflop, we can at least have a straight or trips.

Its also bad to have Jh in our hand, because it block some of the busted draws, that we want him to be bluffing with. So if we want to hero call him with a K, it would be better to have a hand like Ks4s rather than KsJh, especially since our kicker dont even play anyway. If we fold, we still have around the same stack as BTN, and I think, this is better than risking it all trying to catch the chip leader bluffing.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, yeah, usually tough game against chip leader. I agree in the large part with fundiver. Check on the flop is OK, because chip leaders usually likes playing tricky game or making a pressure. So flop check. The turn card – it is usually a call his bet. We have second pair which usually is good hand after check on the flop, but here we play against chip leader. So you can do sometimes tight fold, if you won't play against chip leader, sometimes you can do it to protect second position in tournament. Good players who are chip leaders usually will make a pressure. You have some outs to trips and straight on the turn, but if you don't feel this hand, you can fold. GL :)

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the tricky hands where you trap yourself. SB could have a monster or nothing. Tough hand to play but I'd fold also and look for a double up