T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
3handed at the end of a $3 SnG so already in the money. I am in 3rd (16BB). QTs in the BB facing a loose SB (32 6 across 164 hands) with just about the same stack as the leader. He could be limping with anything here and I I know I am way ahead of his range with QTs. I opt to check so he stays in with all his bad holdings. Was that correct?

Next, I flop a monster with top 2 but there are several potential draws so I check behind.

My min bet on the Turn is probably dumb but I wanted to see if he is drawing. He calls so I know he is. Then he pops the river and there are several draws that made it. So is a fold correct here? Perhaps my first mistake was PF when I should raise to get him to fold his junk?

Thanks for your continued assistance!

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $3+$0.30 (300.00BB)
HERO ($4850)
BTN ($6092)
SB ($7058)

Dealt to Hero: T Q

BTN Folds, SB Calls $150, HERO Checks

Hero SPR on Flop: [6.13 effective]
Flop ($735): Q T 8
SB Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($735): Q T 8 7
SB Checks, HERO Bets $300 (Rem. Stack: $4205), SB Calls $300 (Rem. Stack: $6413)

River ($1335): Q T 8 7 J
SB Bets $1335 (Rem. Stack: $5078), HERO Calls $1335 (Rem. Stack: $2870)

SB shows: 3 9

SB wins: $4005

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I personally dont mind calling and seeing the flop. I am sure others will possibly say to raise there but I would rather just see the flop and then make the pot big when I want to and keep it small when I want to.

On the flop I would not be checking behind if I was you. Its a small pot so we need to build some value especially in thinking most of the time we will get one call and thats it and usually that call will be the loosest on the flop. We start the hand with 16 BBs and look to be in 3 out of only 3 remaining so I believe being in last and flopping top two with 16 BBs we should playing this hand to get all of our chips in here. I think you should bet the flop around 450 ish since club draws can call, one pair hands could call (even though we block a lot of those with two pair), and gutter hands like 9x and Jx could call.

On the turn as you played you should bet now to try to get something from draws which you should have got value from on the flop. I would go bigger than what you did but 300 is not terrible but I think you should bet more. I dont get your writing of Im betting to see if they are drawing as you could bet 300 here and have 8x potentially call you bluff catching. A call from them does not always mean they are on a draw. If the flop was bet I would double barrel here at about 2/3rds pot giving me a chance to river jam if I wanted to.

On the river as played Im not sure without knowing anything about villain as it is about the worst card in the deck where there are straight draws and the clubs got there. I think in game I would lean towards calling and making villain have it but I would not feel comfortable about it and I would factor in what I have seen from villain up to that point.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pre flop I personally dont mind calling and seeing the flop. I am sure others will possibly say to raise there but I would rather just see the flop and then make the pot big when I want to and keep it small when I want to.

On the flop I would not be checking behind if I was you. Its a small pot so we need to build some value especially in thinking most of the time we will get one call and thats it and usually that call will be the loosest on the flop. We start the hand with 16 BBs and look to be in 3 out of only 3 remaining so I believe being in last and flopping top two with 16 BBs we should playing this hand to get all of our chips in here. I think you should bet the flop around 450 ish since club draws can call, one pair hands could call (even though we block a lot of those with two pair), and gutter hands like 9x and Jx could call.

On the turn as you played you should bet now to try to get something from draws which you should have got value from on the flop. I would go bigger than what you did but 300 is not terrible but I think you should bet more. I dont get your writing of Im betting to see if they are drawing as you could bet 300 here and have 8x potentially call you bluff catching. A call from them does not always mean they are on a draw. If the flop was bet I would double barrel here at about 2/3rds pot giving me a chance to river jam if I wanted to.

On the river as played Im not sure without knowing anything about villain as it is about the worst card in the deck where there are straight draws and the clubs got there. I think in game I would lean towards calling and making villain have it but I would not feel comfortable about it and I would factor in what I have seen from villain up to that point.

True about the 8 but the way he had been playing, he likes to call with draws and bet with made hands, it seemed. I think I'll bet bigger on the Turn in this kind of spot next time. Thanks for your feedback!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If stacks were shorter, then I would just rip it in, but with 16BB effective I dont think, we are getting a very good risk/reward. Sure we get folds a decent amount of the time, but when we get action, we are always behind or at best flipping. So I am totally on board with just taking a free flop and play in position with a hand, that play pretty well postflop.

Flop
I really dont like slowplaying on this flop. Any club or any card 8 or above is bad for us, except of course for a Q or T, which will fill us up. So I would definitely put in a bet for value and protection, and I would also go on the larger side like 60% pot. Make him pay to stick around and try to suck out on you.

Turn
Still the same situation as on the flop, and at least you are betting now, but I would still prefer it to be larger. Even just 400 rather than 300.

River
Worst possible card and action, and now your hand is clearly only a bluffcatcher. You are only getting 2:1, so you need him to be bluffing 1/3 of the time in pure chip EV, and factoring in ICM more like 40% of the time. I have not looked at the results, but based on my experience I dont see this being a bluff 40% of the time.

The main issue is, that all the draws either got there or paired up. So for him to be bluffing, he need to turn one pair or more likely two pair into a bluff, and in the micros people just dont do that very often. It happens from time to time of course but not often enough for us to justify this call in my experience.

Results
Looked now and unsurpricingly he had a random 9, that rivered a straight. This is why, you want to put the hammer down earlier in the hand to make him pay to stick around. And if he still do, then just fold to that river donk.