$3 NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ NLHE MTT Rebuy: A7s RFI vs HJ 1.5x 3bet

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its kind of poorly played by the opponent. Neither player should ever have connected with a 223 flop in a 3-bet pot, other than maybe picking up a spade draw or a wheel draw, so checking back as the 3-better and basically giving up is really weak. And if you had a read, he was that kind of player, sure why not take a stab at it. Its quite amazing, you got him to fold for that price, but maybe he had KQs or something. For the record I would also fold to the 3-bet.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice pot! Here are my thoughts:
Pre-flop is slightly loose but reasonable. I'd definitely rather defend this hand than ATo.

Flop check is good.

I'd check turn also. We have some showdown value, and most of his range for checking back flop (hands like AQ) won't fold to a small bet on the turn.

I like the river bluff. You can probably get him to fold a hand like AQ now. As a small point you also block a couple of straights. I'd just size this a bit larger to get the job done but nice little bluff here at the end!

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you have any information on his betting history (e.g. a HUD)? If you knew he was 3-betting often/loose the pre-flop call makes sense. For the remaining streets I'm guessing he also had an ace and was hoping for the gutshot on the turn, might have put you on a low/middle pair when you bet river? Either way good continue on river when he showed weakness, worst case you get looked up by a better ace as an overpair should have bet flop.

300HPGOD

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are better off in the long run folding to the 3 bet there OOP. Post flop I really like the way you played the hand except for the bet sizing. Definitely a very good idea to bet small in those cases as the villain will likely be calling or folding unless you really make it large however I think 1/4th pot is too small for both turn and river. I think 1/3rd to 40% is better especially on the river to get a little more fold equity. Overall post flop very well played and when you take a stab on the turn as you did there and the river card does not hurt you, you should be betting again as you did.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Total posts
Chips
Fold against 3b. I don`t see weaker hands in his 3bet range.
Good bluff and it`s worked.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to say a thing about calling the 3 bet on 35 effective in this situation.

I'd tend to agree with you had the action run more towards normalcy:

Hero rfi 2.5x and player2 3bets a modest 3x so 7.5 into a pot of 5.13=12.63:5 or 2.526:1

So vs a 9% range :

(A9s+,KJs+,QJs, 88+ AQo+, AJo@50% , KQo@50% A5s@ 75%, A4s@25% vs A7s) 63.153:36.847

So basically a 2.5:1 reward for a 2:1 dog in this spot in this scenario...

Villain raises the same 3x into a 2 rfi and a 2.63 pot 4.63+ 5.97 = 10.6 pot or 10.6:3 or 3.5:1

So we are getting 3.5:1 for a 2;1 shot (how many chips are in that pot?) OK we are getting much better odds in this exact case.

Additionally we are keeping the stack to pot ratio Higher (which usually helps the in position player) but in this case it doesn't as much because to ranges are so close in composition the main difference is he has claimed a more polar one and I have claimed a strong yet more diffused one.

Now with a higher stack to pot ratio and a more diffuse range vs a more polarized one both which are similar in nature tends to make both players less incentivized to bet. as are any two similarly placed players in the ring. Couple with the diffuse nature of my range has theoretically much better run out coverage especially because of the more polarized nature of his range: in this case I have all the suited wheel aces and he does not have very likely ANY

Anyway since I know I'm checking the vast majority of flops regardless of what comes And villain is less incentive to bet because of the similarity of ranges a fair number of these errant bets will be stabs Makes this a pretty easy call pre when couples with the possibility of seeing a free street or 2 on many many flops

E

eetenor

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4qJemOB

This is a hand I played the other day in a small field MTT after LR and I am still kind of confused about all streets of it> any suggestions?

Thank U 4 Posting.

There are free range analyzers that would help you here.

Watching one action at a time.

You raise that is fine if the table is passive. Note that the SB and BB had 20+ bb stacks they could shove- so if they would shove often we cannot open A7s here.

We are raised by LP 2.98X-Is this common sizing for your player pool?
Does this mean anything that it was not 3600?
What range of hands would V do this with? Inputting that range into a range analyzer really helps you understand this spot well.
In simple terms without a range analyzer we want to think about if we are dominated here or if we dominate our V.

AK-AJ might 3 bet but would A7-A2?

Is the flush draw enough extra equity that we can call if it is head-up?

We call- flop terrible for us.
Why would we do anything but check -fold? Again a range analyzer great tool here.
How easy will it be to represent 3x or 22 to get our V to fold over pairs?

Check -Check
What does your player pool check- fold in spots like this? What card do you want to see on the turn so you can bluff it?
How many streets will you have to bet as a bluff to get V's range to fold?
What sizing works best for 1 street or 2 streets of bluffing?

Turn card
We lead small so that means we are betting most rivers as bluffs if our V-illains are capable of folding. Are they?
What sizing will we use on the river?

River
Our river bluff gives our V 5-1 odds.
Do your V fold any pairs in that spot for those odds?
What about AK-AJ for 5-1 do you get folds in your player pool?
Do any of your V's have any skill that they might bluff you here by shoving?

So V folds- so they do have folds in their ranges when they check flops they should always be betting. We should note this about this player and our player pool if others are doing the same.
They may also not be calling on rivers often enough- so under sized bluffs- more often become very effective here.

You saying your are confused concerns me with your river bet sizing. If we do not know why our V will fold for 5-1 odds we should never be giving them 5-1.
We should be betting larger on the river maybe even a shove to fold out sticky hands like AsKs that check flop for some reason.

We need to know when we lead river if we are bluffing and if so what range are we trying to get to fold. The fact that you are confused about this hand means you do not know why your V folded. Therefore, you should not have been using the small bet size. It was by accident that you got a fold not by plan.

Do not get me wrong if your V's over fold to bets that they think might be the nuts trying to get paid- like a 5-1 bet on a 4 straight board- than this was a great play by you. It just should be part of our plan all along if we are going to do this. So there should be no confusion here- your question should be about frequency of use of this bet sizing on similar board runouts versus standard players.

For example would 4-1 or 3-1 pot odds on the river bluff be more +ev versus the field if they do not overfold?

Hope this helps
:):)

Last edited:
dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would agree with everyone, 3betting and let it go when the flop comes was a very very weird idea from villain, at least your opponent could try a raise, cause he was in a great position to make considering that you didnt reraised him pre. I think you could fold your hand if he made a value flop, but nice read took you the chance to grab the pot. And as no reraise happened at river, you could hold it.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Total posts
Chips
Im not calling the raise pf or 3betting, the open is fine, A7s isnt that great and the positon aint that great, and be OOP the whole hand really sucks. I dont see how villain checks flop though, left the door wide open for ya!!!

ya got lucky the raiser, didnt bet flop and raise you OTT for an shove/fold size response from you and then you see why getting in this hand at an inflated pf price and OOP -- NO WAY

Last edited:
ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

River
Our river bluff gives our V 5-1 odds.
Do your V fold any pairs in that spot for those odds?
What about AK-AJ for 5-1 do you get folds in your player pool?
Do any of your V's have any skill that they might bluff you here by shoving?

:):)

(everyone needs to re-read that post over and over)

INCREDIBLE POST (THE WHOLE THING)