£3 NLHE MTT Rebuy: ££3 NLHE MTT Rebuy: 2-pair vs possible straight by the river

H

Hewlett

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I'm new here and wanted some advice on a hand I played over the table. The tournament was a ~50 man NLHE MTT, 6 to a table, 2k starting stacks with rebuys/addons allowed up to the end of the 3rd blind level. This hand was played in the 4th blind level (100/200, rebuys closed), with ~40 players left and I had only just joined a new table so I didn't really know how anyone played.

I hit top two on the flop and bet the pot to force out any straight draws. I get the feeling that the only caller is still on a draw so I bet big again on the turn. He still calls and the river seems to go his way...

I have a stack of ~9k and the SB has ~8k (yeah, we had some loose play and a lot of rebuys)

(I don't remember the suits but it was a rainbow board)
Preflop: I am dealt K9o as the BB, three players call, one folds, SB calls and I check

Flop: K 9 8 (5 players, pot=1k)
SB checks, I bet 1k, folds round to the SB, SB calls

Turn: K 9 8 2 (2 players, pot=3k)
SB checks, I bet 1.5k, SB calls

River: K 9 8 2 6 (2 players, pot=6k)
SB bets 3.5k, I...

Since I had only just joined the table I didn't know if this guy was likely to bluff with a missed draw, but I was getting the feeling that he was on a draw and had been making the wrong decision to keep calling, but maybe he had hit now on the river. Would you have played this hand differently? And how would you react to that bet on the river?

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With better reads I might consider raising pre, but against all unknowns I like checking there.
Pot bet on flop is what I'd do too, but I'd bet more on the turn, close to pot again. Top two is a very strong hand but you have to protect the hell out of it.
As played I call the river (provided I'm deep enough).