$3 NLHE MTT: 7-6 in a multi-way hand -good play? bad play?

I

islandtime2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is are 2 hands (back to back) from a recent tourny (names have been changed, blah, blah, blah) that did not end well for me but of course we are not supposed to be results oriented but looking to make good decisions.
So I am very interested in how different folks view these two hands and how they would play them and why. 7-6 on its own is not a no brainer like AA but in situations like below should I "correctly" feel "priced in" which is really what I think I am describing?

(For the results oriented out there villain wins making a straight followed by making a sraight flush so not much left in the deck to win with regardless of starting hands so again interested in general thought processes here for future reference)

My thinking for the first hand I start with a little over 40 x BB so not short stacked and UTG limped so I raise 2x BB from utg3 not expecting to get this many folks involved behind me but when it gets back to me #6-villain has re-raised and there are 20 BB's in the pot and it only costs me 8 more BB's (2.5:1) to call (plus I am thinking some large implied odds if I catch) so I call - good thinking? bad thinking? why?

#2-villain behind me then re-raises allin with a smaller allin call behind him so now when it gets back to me the pot has a little over 40 BB's in it and my stack is back to a little over 30 BB's and it will cost me ~ 16 BB's to call so I am thinking again about implied odds and I will still have ~15 BB's to continue playing if I lose so I call - good thinking? bad thinking? why?

Hand plays out and I am actually ahead going to river just needing to fade a A,K, or J but J hits to complete #2-villain's straight - the next hand I get JJ pf and I go allin and same #2-villain calls with J-Q so I am ahead again but he ends up catching a straight flush and I am out - some comments made during the hands was that this was not good poker (not sure if referring to 2nd hand or first hand or both) - I am interested in everyone's opinion on both hands...

Hand#3439E8C9FF000148
Dealer: Seat 3
Seat 1: 1-villain (1,268 in chips)
Seat 2: 2-villain (1,386 in chips)
Seat 3: 3-villain (3,351 in chips)
Seat 4: 4-villain (1,825 in chips)
Seat 7: 5-villain (1,510 in chips)
Seat 8: 6-villain (1,125 in chips)
Seat 9: 7-villain (2,115 in chips)
Seat 10: HERO (2,190 in chips)
4-villain: posts small blind 25
5-villain: posts big blind 50
Dealt to HERO [7h,6h]
6-villain: calls 50
7-villain: folds
HERO: raises to 100
1-villain: calls 100
2-villain: calls 100
3-villain: folds
4-villain: calls 75
5-villain: calls 50
6-villain: raises to 500
HERO: calls 400
1-villain: calls 400
2-villain: is all in 1,286
4-villain: folds
5-villain: folds
6-villain: is all in 625
HERO: calls 886
1-villain: folds
2-villain: shows [Kh Ac]
6-villain: shows [4d Ad]
HERO: shows [7h 6h]
7-villain chats: can i have my cards back to gamble in this hand haha
*** FLOP *** [Qs,Qh,6s]
6-villain chats: i tried
*** TURN *** [Tc]
1-villain chats: this sux4
*** RIVER *** [Jh]
***SHOW DOWN***
2-villain wins 522 with Straight Ace high
***SHOW DOWN***
2-villain wins 4,075 with Straight Ace high

Hand#3439E8C9FF000158
Dealer: Seat 4
Seat 1: 1-villain (768 in chips)
Seat 2: 2-villain (4,597 in chips)
Seat 3: 3-villain (3,351 in chips)
Seat 4: 4-villain (1,725 in chips)
Seat 7: 5-villain (1,410 in chips)
Seat 9: 7-villain (2,115 in chips)
Seat 10: HERO (804 in chips)
5-villain: posts small blind 30
7-villain: posts big blind 60
Dealt to island21 [Js,Jd]
HERO: is all in 804
1-villain: folds
2-villain: calls 804
3-villain: folds
4-villain: folds
5-villain: folds
7-villain: folds
2-villain: shows [Jh Qh]
HERO: shows [Js Jd]
1-villain chats: that was horrible poker!
*** FLOP *** [9h,Ks,9d]
*** TURN *** [Kh]
*** RIVER *** [Th]
***SHOW DOWN***
2-villain wins 1,698 with Straight Flush King high
HERO finished 30 out of 37 players

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have pushed with JJ with less than 20 BB.

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Second hand was just a bad beat, shoving JJ short is standard and seeing as he has 3 outs pre you are so ahead, first hand i am not sure what happend, you may think you only have a small amount to call compared to the pot but you only have 76s which is going to be so behind in a multiway pot

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold 76s vs 3bet maybe not even open it if you dont have the skillz

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the second hand was pretty standard shove with 13 BBs. You just got unlucky there.
But your reasoning is wrong for second case.
1. I dont think opening here with 6 7 is good at all. There are not much chips in the middle and many players to go through. In addition to that raise to 100 is sweetening the pot and it serves no purpose.
2. Calling a raise of 500 is no good because you have to risk 20% of your stack calling with 6 7 even if you are getting 2.5 to 1 because your hand is much worse than that. It is not the pot odds alone but also your hand strength that counts. And you are way behind with your hand against most of the range.
3. I think the range of players will be pretty tight at initial stage
Bottline is with 8 6 you want to see a cheap flop and flop hard. If you call big raises with 86 you are not getting positive EV.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands