3 bet What To Do?

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had :js4: :jh4: and raised to 4.800.The blinds were 800/1600 ,my position was utg2 and the small blind 3bet to 9.600.My chips were 17.500 and this 3bet put me in a hard decision;I realized that the Vilian had :ad4: :ac4::kh4: :kc4: or maybe :ah4: :kd4: so I decided not to continue and I fold.
I didn't know what the Vilian had but I got happy because of the ITM.But If it was 't for the ITM I would call for sure.
Was this the right decision?

Last edited:
D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on whether th villain is always 3-bet in SB. If he does it for the first time and he has been tight the whole time, it is likely he has a good hand, might not necessarily be KK or AA, he might do it with middle pairs. So I think it depends on your reads. And I don't think raising 3x bb is a good idea when you have 11x bb and planned to fold to 3-bets

sinatruces

sinatruces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes if this decision you going to ITM yes it was absolutely good decision
especially in torunoment whe you don't have many chips you should play smoothly and don't make a risky movement .

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am never folding. With 11 BB, JJ is a monster and I would need a very, very sick read to fold in this spot. As another poster said you are not deep enough to be raise folding. You put almost a third of your stack in the midle and you didnt even see a flop. I think the "standard" move with JJ and 11 BB is to just open shove (which is right in my opinion).

Just my 2 cents

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm not sure what hand you're waiting for with 11BB. It's extremely doubtful that you will be dealt better hole cards than JJ before your stack is decimated to a point that a double or triple-up is pretty much useless.

yosjenis55

yosjenis55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in that case you have to take into account if the villain is passive or aggressive there to know whether to pay or give the letters, remember that later you will have pocision to get more out of your hand

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold if the Small blind is a Tight player who is not 3 betting frequently and if it was just before the money but as many stated and acording to your stack you should openshove hands like JJ-QQ-KK-AA from early position with that Stack even if you were in the Buble otherwise you can not get deep enough to finish in good money.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many people said before, I would just shove with this stack. It's my point. Raising with 11bb and then fold seems a bad idea for me. You have only 11bb, you will have to pay the blinds very soon, which means it'll become even smaller, you have a really good hand, it doesn't seem you will have any better the very next hand, and winning blinds and ante is now essential for you (depending to your stack size). Well, even if someone call you with AK or something, you could double up with your hand! If someone eliminate you, nevermind, it's just OK, cause you didn't do anything wrong anyway. I suppose you should take some risk already because of being that short. But most likely nobody will call your raise from early pos without a good hand, letting you steal the blinds, espesially if you were tight before on this table.
My choise there is just push.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without itm, it's either puch or fold; easy push with 11BB and JJ.
With itm, it's more complicated.
3BB raise was maybe too much as you folded to a 3bet, but it also depends table action statistics, alternatives were call (1BB, but at least the BB will join the flop, reducing your chances) and 2BB, the latter would have saved you 1BB with otherwise the same result.
Reading you limited info/comments, there is no shame in folding JJ very close to ITM. Being bubble boy/girl feels terrible (I know).

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
11BBs near the bubble phase holding J J, So it is either Push or Fold... No Raise no limp..

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, this was the right decision. In such a situation, I would most likely have done the same.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably a very good decision. But really depends on the opponent range. If he 3 bets often you should have called or 4 bet all in. But if he was tight or semi tight the whole time than you made the right decision.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Op, it doesn't matter how tight is villain, doesn't matter what reads you have and what position you are, if you have 11bb with pocket jacks you MUST go all in, all other options are terrible. Especially in this situation when you raised 3bb. You just threw away 30% of your stack for nothing, that's insane.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With under 10bbs effective you really cant raise fold. Think you have to get it in either open shove or shove or the 3b.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Op, it doesn't matter how tight is villain, doesn't matter what reads you have and what position you are, if you have 11bb with pocket jacks you MUST go all in, all other options are terrible. Especially in this situation when you raised 3bb. You just threw away 30% of your stack for nothing, that's insane.

Totally agree. Even if it's about ITM I wouldn't fold. Dash it I don't care about ITM. You maybe not get ITM if someone call and then eliminate you, but if you fold there you ain't going to take a real tourney place either. Maybe you'll get ITM somehow but most likely not 1st or something, with this too cautious play. With 11bb you just HAVE to shove. You need to increase your stack anyhow. I prefer play to win not to get ITM. It's a lot better to take the 1st place once than to get ITM - and most likely about 2% of the prize pool - thrice. Try to think what you would do further with 9bb.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shove AI preflop or fold if being in the money is most important to hero. imo

But i am going to shove preflop most of time.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone gave good answers to your question. I would like to ask a new question to you, what is the current image you are going through at this point in the game?

Players in their position tend to play with a strong range, while starting players need to have an even better range, or at least their reading to pay or raise with a speculative hand, if he were in the final positions would make him a wider range wide, your fold was a good way to try to advance in the tournament, with your stack you could only fold or go allin, just call the bet would not give you any reading of the opponent that could interpret this as weakness and he can put you in a situation more hard on the flop, I think only one other J would make you comfortable, since any higher card would scare you.

E

ElegantFish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, I think open shoving JJ with 11bb is the best play here. But once you do raise and the opponent 3bets small like he did, I think his range is strongly composed of the hands that do beat you (QQ, KK, AA). I think if he had AK he would 3bet shove over your open. If you run JJ into a better hand with 11bb after open shoving that is essentially an unavoidable cooler but in this case you may have made the correct fold given the hand as played.

It would be helpful to know what your reads were on the opponent. If he was crazy then I wouldn't fold, but if he was tight then your play makes more sense to me.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you had 11 bb and raised 3 of them...i'd say you have to be prepared to go all in if you do that. if you were going to fold to a raise, I suggest folding the hand initially.

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like what's already been said, you're playing shove/fold poker with 11 BB so limping or raising 3 BB is out of the question here. I do think your fold was correct because a 3bet out of the small blind denotes real strength to me. I think the best you had was a coin flip here but you were probably up against QQ+.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fourth best pre flop hand in early position near the bubble. I would think about it for a bit and likely fold unless I had some type of insane read on the raising player. Either that or if I had him covered, would I ever call.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's honestly one of the easiest decisions you can have , you have a premium hand with 10bb's, we shove and expect to have at'least 40% equity and some fold equity. And with the current pot is enough to make the shove +ev.Needless to say villain can have TT AQ AJs. When you get 3bet in this spot it's just a slam dunk shove.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be shoving w/ 11 BB and JJ. by raising you let the bigger stacks to bully you woth a light 3-bet with A2-A9 kinda hands because they are aware of the ITM bubble pressure.
I understand that cashing is a HUGE deal when you play small number of tournaments but that should not effect your game in this way.

J

Joeypop82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Same here Im with the general census with JJ there the only play left is to go all in over top.