Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys,

Would you have called?? :confused:

Cheers,
Lucius Young

poker stars $3.16+$0.34 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 8 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/1311058
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (MP1): t1355 13.55 BBs
MP2: t685 6.85 BBs
CO: t1275 12.75 BBs
BTN: t3196 31.96 BBs
SB: t1510 15.10 BBs
BB: t702 7.02 BBs
UTG: t1987 19.87 BBs
UTG+1: t1300 13 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is MP1 with Js Jd
2 folds, Hero raises to t300, 2 folds, BTN raises to t900, 3 folds

Villain VPIP 48, PFR 24, CPFR 43, Agg 60, 29 hands

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys a complete fish. I'd ship it. If you run into overpair it's ul, but you could be against Jx (AJ,KJ,QJ) a lot of the time or lower pairs (TT,99) or KTs kind of hands.
BTW you didn't 3-bet... he did.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While it's a smallish sample, with that read I think ship the nickels you must.

We should never be just calling BTW since there's no point calling 900 and leaving 400 or thereabouts behind.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shouldn't be raising, you're putting in quit a high percentage of your chips, just ship it and take down the pot here or get someone to call lightly. Of course when this fishy high VPIP raising you this is the best news in the world and can happily just shove him. Absolutely no point in just calling, get it over with here now.

If of course he has you beat, that's just very unlucky the guy is clearly a bad player.

So to round up,

1: Shove to start with. Raising is pointless, it is 20-25% of your stack, If called by this donk, great news. If he has an over pair - you're very unlucky.
2: You get some fold equity from marginal hands which will call your raise normally
3: Any over card has you worried and you are first to act, meaning if you check you're likely faced with a raise/shove regardless. So your other option is, shove on any board, which will be called by anyone who called your raise and hit their over card or check/fold is out the question really so you will be calling a shove/raise from this guy meaning you could be beat by A,x.K,x alsorts of crap.

This is mega +EV in this spot vs this kind of player.

Shove Preflop

Last edited:
jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah didn't see you had 13BB. Open shove then

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like I would raise instead of insta shove with 13BB but given it gives the villain an opportunity to shove on us, I understand the shove. However, I agree that this hand is a shove or raise move. JJ is a good but tricky hand to play so its best to shove since you are beating many hands in villain's range.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However, I agree that this hand is a shove or raise move.

Hero has 13BB. He raises to 3BB. He gets on caller on BTN, sb folds, BB puts in an extra 2BB to see a flop.
Pot is 10BB, three-way, hero has 10BB left. Flop comes :as4: :kc4: :4d4:
Hero?
Therefore raising is bad

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a fan of shoving 12-15 BB with hands that are likely to be the best at the table but are tricky to play post flop.

For example, (outside of the SB where you can shove even wider), if I hold a hand like AQ, AK, 88-JJ, I typically shove pre, and many times these shoves are unexploitable no matter the calling range of our opponents.

In addition, with the hands that I just mentioned, you can also get called by worse, which is nice. If the shove is not unexploitable, but you have a hand worth playing with around 15 BB (broadways usually fall into this category from around MP), then I may just raise 2.5x. If I get called, I can play the flop accordingly. If a 3-bet shove, I have room to fold.

Again, with the unexploitable shoves, I am calling a 3-bet shove anyway, so I will just shove myself.