MP: 1,619 (81 bb)
MP+1: 1,478 (74 bb)
LP: 1,458 (73 bb)
CO: 2,283 (114 bb)
BU: 780 (39 bb)
SB: 1,448 (72 bb)
BB: 1,428 (71 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is UTG with 9♦ 9♠
Hero raises to 50, UTG+1 calls 50, MP 3-bets to 80, 4 players fold, SB calls 70, BB calls 60, Hero calls 30, UTG+1 calls 30

Flop: (427) 6♠ 9♥ T♠ (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets 427, Hero raises to 1,405 (all-in), UTG+1 calls 1,405, MP calls 1,405, SB folds, BB calls 918 (all-in)

Turn: (5,987) 2♠ (4 players, 2 all-in)
UTG+1 checks, MP bets 131 (all-in), UTG+1 calls 30 (all-in)

River: (6,047) 5♣ (4 players, 4 all-in)

Total pot: 6,047

Showdown:
MP shows A♠ A♦ (a pair of Aces)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 61%, Flop: 5%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

BB shows T♥ 6♣ (two pair, Tens and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 13%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

UTG (Hero) shows 9♦ 9♠ (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 14%, Flop: 19%, Turn: 15%, River: 0%)

UTG+1 shows 7♠ 8♦ (a straight, Six to Ten)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 12%, Flop: 67%, Turn: 63%, River: 100%)

UTG+1 wins 6,047

------------------------------------------------------

How would you play a set on this flop with this many people in the hand early in the tournament? Basically no info on my opponents since it was so early in the tournament.

I decided to defend my hand by making flush and straight draws pay (also some equity versus made straights with full house outs).

Questions:
-Would you reraise shove the flop as I did and why?
-Would calling be better? How would you continue on later streets
-Is it reasonable to assume that you get called by some overpairs in this spot?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play this hand the exact same way, you did. Just unfortunate you turned out to be behind to a flopped straight.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that was just bad luck the hand was played well but you had a lot of bad luck there is no more analysis to do here it was just bad luck

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing to analyse as far as Heros action goes, but the hand history could be renamed "How to not play pocket aces." Preflop MP made a silly massage 3-bet to 4BB, which of course got called by everyone. And then on the flop when he faced a pot sized donk bet AND a jam AND a call in front of him on a very connected board, he got married to his aces. It turned out that no less than three of four opponents had already cracked his aces, which is of course an absolutely crazy action flop. Conspiracy theorists will surely see this hand as proff, online poker is rigged :D

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting all your chips in on that flop is the right play.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not trying to be abrasive - but if you don't think getting all your chips in on this flop with this hand is the correct play...then you are being way too results oriented.

The loose players are making mistakes calling/making 3bets with 87o and then AA make an even bigger mistake by not 3betting larger preflop - just soo many bad players in this hand - nothing you can do about their actions behind so your call preflop is standard and very correct.

Then we flop our hand - what else is there to say? Are you proposing you find a say to fold after you make your hand? Why try to talk yourself into folding what is almost always the winner on that flop??? Sure we run into the nuts this time - but I think more often than not, we are WAY ahead here and should easily get our money in.

I just cannot help but feel that you would not be posting this hand and asking these questions had the outcome been different and you won the pot. I think you (and maaaany others) would chalk it up as normal and move on. Being results oriented will only hold you back - make the correct decisions in the moment - let the cards fall where they may. That's all we can do.

Questions:
-Would you reraise shove the flop as I did and why?
-Would calling be better? How would you continue on later streets
-Is it reasonable to assume that you get called by some overpairs in this spot

1 - yes I would shove the flop, I am shoving for value, shoving to get all the draws to come along, all worse hands to pay me off and because the pot is plenty large enough for our shove sizing to get called. Understand with the SPR here that we are not making a mistake shoving.

2 - no calling isn't better - leaves us with awkward SPRs on.the turn and players that may wiff their draw could potentially fold turns with one card to come - get it in on.yje flop for max value.

3 - the only overpairs I see you may get called by would be TT - which in this case would be one of the worst of coolers - and I don't see many JJ+ just clicking back preflop - if there were some baddly/slow played overpairs in this spot (and there were) i think most of the players are certainly calling at these stakes. Players just simply are not good enough/disciplined enough to fold overpairs at these stakes, even on boards like this.

Last edited: