$3.50 NLHE STT: Top & bottom pair, wet board

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Any thoughts on this hand please? Only 9 hands in so HUD stats not very relevant.
Pre-flop: Standard I feel.
Flop: I c-bet to give draws the wrong price and because I believe I can get value from A-x & K-x hands. I knew I wasn't going to get any better hands to fold though.
Turn: Looking back, I don't think I realised at the time that my 2nd pair had been counterfeited, I now only had top pair and think I should have checked. As played I thought Villain's all-in reraise showed real strength, I don't think he's doing this with a worse hand than mine and I don't think I have many, or possibly any, outs to improve to the best hand. So I folded.
So overall I think I could and should have saved 7.5BB on the turn (and maybe even seen a river but I think that was unlikely). And I wasn't concentrating well enough because I didn't notice how much my hand was devalued by the turn.
What do you think, what would you have done?
Cheers.

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 1,764 (59 bb)
UTG+1: 1,361 (45 bb)
MP: 2,096 (70 bb)
MP+1: 1,254 (42 bb)
LP: 1,748 (58 bb)
CO (Hero): 1,473 (49 bb)
BU: 1,076 (36 bb)
SB: 1,371 (46 bb)
BB: 1,357 (45 bb)

Pre-Flop: (81) Hero is CO with A T
5 players fold, Hero raises to 75, BTN calls 75, 2 players fold

Flop: (231) T K A (2 players)
Hero bets 120, BTN calls 120

Turn: (471) K (2 players)
Hero bets 225, BTN raises to 877 (all-in), CO (Hero) folds

Total pot: 921
BU wins 921

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop
Pretty standard not much to say here.

Turn
You said it yourself already. Your two pair got counterfeited, so not only do you now lose to any K, but you also lose to AJ/AQ and chop with A2-A9. Your hand is to in between to bet, but maybe you can check-call, since he could be bluffing with hearts or some kind of gutshot draw, and you also have at least 2 outs to improve, if you are behind.

You did bet though, and now he move in. As the preflop raiser you can have every single boat on this board, so this is a really bad spot for him to get aggressive with a draw. Unless he is some kind of insane maniac, this is almost always a hand like KQ or KJ, which want to get it in now, before the river potentially complete the flushdraw. So as played I definitely agree with the fold.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played this hand pretty much the way I would have played it except your bet sizing on the turn is too large. I think the turn can be a check or a bet but I like betting in this spot as a bluff blocking bet. I go small here as I want to give the impression that I want a call and the second king on the board did not phase me much. I dont think there are too many bluffs on the raise from villain so we just fold. If we check there we will have to play a guessing game for 2 streets as I think villain is betting often when we check turn and then the river they will probably follow through. Personal preference I guess on how much tolerance you have to bluff catching but as I have said in other posts, I dont like bluff catching two streets so I would rather bet here and if we get a fold then villain probably had nothing which we werent going to get too much or anything anyway (they will assume board hits us being the pre flop raiser) and if they just call then we can check river and decide there whether we want o bluff catch but that again would only be bluff catching for one street.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you have pretty much already answered your own question. Once your second pair is counterfeited, you have to slow down. I'm checking almost all the time except against the stickiest of opponents. If you're going to bet, bet small.
At least you were able to let it go once you opponent showed huge strength with his shove.