$3.50 NLHE STT: Overpair c-bet vs raise on paired board

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all. Third hand vs unknown opponent so no HUD stats.
I think my biggest error here was my 3-bet size, not sure why I shoved. (I need to learn more about bet sizing and SPR.)
In game I thought Villain would call with trips to let me keep betting with worse hands, but I now feel that wasn't so likely as the hand was still 4-handed. Also it's the third hand of a $3.50 STT so I shouldn't assume to know so much about my opponent.
I think c-betting that board is OK, I'm sure some worse hands will call and I want to give draws the wrong price. But then with three opponents is there an argument for checking?
So I'm still not sure what the best play is here. How would you have played the hand?

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 1,591 (80 bb)
UTG+1: 1,494 (75 bb)
MP: 1,494 (75 bb)
MP+1: 1,494 (75 bb)
LP (Hero): 1,494 (75 bb)
CO: 1,434 (72 bb)
BU: 1,424 (71 bb)
SB: 1,581 (79 bb)
BB: 1,494 (75 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is LP with K K
4 players fold, Hero raises to 60, CO calls 60, 1 fold, SB calls 50, BB calls 40

Flop: (267) 6 5 5 (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 150, CO raises to 300, 2 players fold, Hero raises to 1,431 (all-in), CO calls 1,071 (all-in)

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think maybe a bigger raise pre- but I don't see anything wrong with your line to get to the flop. When you are out of position you want to raise more to avoid a line of calling stations behind you. On the flop I think you just got sucked out on, most likely, and one of your opponents probably hit trips or a boat. It's way too early in the tournament to jam on that kind of a board, since you don't have much room to improve. I would have called to see the turn since you have an overpair and then re-evaluate there. As it stands jamming only gets called by better hands here, unless you entice pocket pairs below you somehow to call off.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Totally standard open of course, not much to say here.

Flop
Given that its the first blind level of a 3,5$ SnG and 3 players called you preflop, there are almost certainly some recreational players involved here, and they can have a wide range of hands including some with a 5 in them. So it should be a bit of a concern, that the board is paired, although to be fair there are also many hands, we can get value from.

Even so I think, the flop is a close decision between checking and going for a smaller bet like 100 chips rather than 150. In a multiway pot we dont need to bet very large to get people to fold all those hands, that missed, like their A9, KT, QJ all that sort of stuff. And we dont actually mind letting them catch up to a no good top pair either, which is why, checking back is definitely very close in EV to betting.

As played getting min-raised by an unknown CO really sucks. I guess, he could be doing this with draws or hands like 77 or A6, which we beat. But I also think, we are looking at a fair amount of 5X, which has us drawing to two outs or runner-runner clubs. If we call, the pot is going to be massive already, and we cant really call another bet without committing ourselfes. And we are still two streets away from showdown.

So I dont really love any option here, but I guess, I stick in the 150 chips extra and pray for some sort of miracle. Either that I hit a K and make top boat, or that he check back turn and bet very small on the river, so I can get to showdown without risking all my chips. And if he bombs the turn, I will probably need to give him credit for having something, that beat me, and let my overpair go.

To stack off here require some kind of read in my opinion, that this is a loose and wild player, who will do this kind of raising with any piece of the board and then also call it off, if we jam. These players certainly excist, but against an unknown I would want some shallower stacks to get it in here. Like even just being in the next blind level with 30/15 rather than 20/10.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is OK.
Flop - against 3 villains we should play carefully.. Half pot cbet would be norm.
Our push after raise will call only best hand in most cases, so i prefer call.